Quantcast

Munich Helles as an ale?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ryan80

Reaction score
Hi all! I purchased my second ever beer kit today. It is the Munich Helles by Brewers Best. I didn't notice until I got home that this is a lager. It does say however that this can be done as an ale if you lack a chiller for lagering like I do. My question is, being the complete noob that I am, what if anything will I be sacraficing by fermenting this as an ale? I wonder if I should try a diffrent kit instead for my second batch. Thanks for the input!
Ryan

ErieShores

Reaction score
I have done a helles using Wyeast Kölsch, it turned out great. The only problem was that it didn't hit it's stride for a few months.

swampfox

Reaction score
i have found myself wondering this too... i realy want to do a helles but i just dont have the space available to lager till we buy a house and i can build my brewery

944play

Reaction score
The metabolic pathways that lager strains have and ale strains lack are enough to make a significant mouthfeel difference to me. If you want to brew a Blonde Ale, by all means ferment a Helles wort with an ale yeast and you'll get a nice beer, but it won't be a Munich lager.

If you lack temp control, don't think that using ale yeast absolves you. Clean ferments need to be stabilized thermally no matter what strain you use.

MrWildcat2U

Reaction score
I just kegged the same kit. I've sampled the pre-carbed beer and like it. I fermented mine in an old fridge at 51deg.

OP
R

Ryan80

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. The kit came with a lager yeast the they say "will do well at ale temperatures". I just wanted to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for failure.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
Ryan,
I have the same issue. I hope you are still on the boards. How did it come out?