Munich Extract Substitution Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I have a quick question about substituting for Munich extract.:

I am a regular listener to the Jamil Show, and he frequently mentions the use of munich extract in his stuff. Usually, it’s something on the order of a pound or less of Munich extract in a 5 gallon batch. I can’t acquire it. Does anyone have any ideas for a possible substitution?

According to Briess’ website, their Sparkling amber is only Pilsner malt, Crystal 60, and Munich. However, it does not give percentages. Does anyone know them?

I probably could go with 3.3 pounds of Briess Sparking Amber and 3.3 pounds of light LME and then dial down the amount of crystal that I was going to put in. Before everyone tells me to just use pale extract and then add specialty grains, I want you all to know that I’m aware of this method. However, since Munich must be mashed, I can’t do that.

Curious to see if anyone has any ideas for when they lack Munich extract.

Thanks!

If you are in the US, you should be able to order Munich extract from any of the online suppliers.

Or, since Munich can convert itself, you could mash (steep) Munich malt in 1.5 quarts water per pound of grain at 153 degrees for 45 minutes, and make your own Munich extract. A pound or a pound and a half of Munich malt is great in lots of recipes!

Hey, thats good to know. Are all Munich extracts like this? I know that you can get wheat extract as mix and pure.

Back