Multiple Mash Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st0neski

Reaction score
I was reading up about the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout today and noticed that they mentioned that they use three mashes to make this brew. I assume this means that they mash different grains/combo of grains in three different mash tuns and then dump it all in the boil to create one brew.

Has anyone tried this before and what would be a benefit of making three different mashes instead of combining all the grains into one mash?

Ive done double mashes a couple of times... but only because my 10G rubbermaid can only hold 23 lbs of grain, and thats pretty limiting on a 10G batch!

digging up an old thread here :drunk:

Does anyone ever employ multiple mashes to do multiple different brews at the same time?

Just thinking of pulling 2 different brews out of a brew day by doing 2 beers that have similar quantities and mash temps/times for the same base malt (example, MO: Ordinary Bitter & ESB, or Pils: Belg Single & Golden Strong Ale).

Couldn't I double up my 'main mash' and then run smaller 'side mashes' for the remaining different grains. I'd just sparge the main mash and split into 2 brew kettles while sparging in the satellite mashes to the respective kettles...somewhere between parti-gyle and partial mash brewing. Provided I get the proper conversion/efficiency (& don't screw up the dough-in measurements) for these satellite mashes I would like to think that I've just taken a roundabout way of producing my wort, and once in the kettle I've got 2 different brews going. Then they'll each have their unique hop additions/boil times/yeasts/ferm temps, etc.

I'm sure I have some flawed logic somewhere; am I oversimplifying this?

digging up an old thread here :drunk:

Does anyone ever employ multiple mashes to do multiple different brews at the same time?

Just thinking of pulling 2 different brews out of a brew day by doing 2 beers that have similar quantities and mash temps/times for the same base malt (example, MO: Ordinary Bitter & ESB, or Pils: Belg Single & Golden Strong Ale).

Couldn't I double up my 'main mash' and then run smaller 'side mashes' for the remaining different grains. I'd just sparge the main mash and split into 2 brew kettles while sparging in the satellite mashes to the respective kettles...somewhere between parti-gyle and partial mash brewing. Provided I get the proper conversion/efficiency (& don't screw up the dough-in measurements) for these satellite mashes I would like to think that I've just taken a roundabout way of producing my wort, and once in the kettle I've got 2 different brews going. Then they'll each have their unique hop additions/boil times/yeasts/ferm temps, etc.

I'm sure I have some flawed logic somewhere; am I oversimplifying this?

I am not sure why you would do this. As I see it, you would be doing 3 mashes instead of just 2 mashes. Wouldnt this make your brew day longer, or is that not your concern.

well that was embarrassing.

probably should have mentioned that I have one large mash tun and one very small leftover tun designed for PM batches and a bunch of old 5 gallon SS pots. So I was thinking I could use the little cooler and/or pots to do the ancillary mashes. And part of my scenario was doing 1 10 gallon batch & 1 5 gallon batch. also should have mentioned that i'm prone to over-complicating things...

Latest posts

Back