Multiple hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a stupid question and I think I know the answer, but I want to ask all you experts just to be sure........I am planning on brewing a Session IPA this coming weekend and I will be adding 6 different hops in the last 5 minutes of the boil. Would it be ok to put all those hops in the same "hop bag" or should I have them all in their own separate bag? I'm guessing it's all good to be in the same bag, but I just want to make sure before brewing. Thanks for your time and help!

Tim

what kind of hop bag u use? i do a hop spider and large mesh bag and put a weigh to keep bag from floating up.and dump my hops in as the schedule goes.

Ther's no reason to separate your different hop varieties that are in each addition. I just do one bag per addition. I use the smaller ones for 1oz and bigger (grain) bags for anythign over that to ;let the hops float around

Be careful with using so many different hops. The individual flavors and aromas can get lost when you use so many.

Zero bags per addition – free the hop!

...seriously, though, all the hop gunk from un-bagged additions will settle down into the break material if you give the kettle maybe half an hour to settle after you chill. If you're really worried about it (or it's just a super-hoppy brew), you can attach one hop bag to the output side of your auto-siphon to catch anything that sneaks by; I'll do this with IPA's with four or five ounces of pellets per five-gallon batch, and won't end up with any hops in the fermentor (until I add the dry hops, anyway...).

Zero bags per addition – free the hop!

...seriously, though, all the hop gunk from un-bagged additions will settle down into the break material if you give the kettle maybe half an hour to settle after you chill. If you're really worried about it (or it's just a super-hoppy brew), you can attach one hop bag to the output side of your auto-siphon to catch anything that sneaks by; I'll do this with IPA's with four or five ounces of pellets per five-gallon batch, and won't end up with any hops in the fermentor (until I add the dry hops, anyway...).

This. Life's been so much easier since I stopped using hop bags.

Back