Mulberry Weiss - TART!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy75cal

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Mulberry Wheat a couple of weeks ago and at my transfer I sampled a bit and it was VERY tart. The mulberries had been canned by my wife to ensure they were clean and then I drained and rinsed them before adding them to 1 lb. of oat flakes (152 degrees for 45 minutes). I use the same process for my apricot hefeweizen and never have any issues. How do I eliminate the tartness. I've thought of adding sugar or just more water...but I'm unsure...maybe I should just let it set?

There's also a process for back-sweetening, bottling, carbing, and then pasteurizing in the bottle (in a hot-water bath) to stop fermentation and retain sugars. There is a sticky on this in the cider forum. I've always been curious about trying this with a fruit beer.

The tartness will lessen as it ages. I am just now drinking some Hefeweizen that I've sampled in the various stages of fermentation, aging, and carbonation. It was 2-3 times as tart when it was young as it is now.

Let it carbonate and age a couple of weeks and that will help too!

I have only been brewing for about a year. Can you elaborate on the process of adding Brett (isn't that for wine) / lactose sugar (what?)? This weekend will make two weeks in secondary.
Thanks all.

The brett/lacto post meant he was suggesting you turn it into a full sour beer and age it for a year. I'm guessing you don't want to go that route.

I suggested buying lactose sugar. It will sweeten it and reduce the tartness.

You can add it to the secondary and let it sit for another day or two. You may have to saturate the lactose sugar with water or beer to avoid clumping.

I finally found the lactose sugar and added a quarter cup mixed with one cup of water. I let it site for an extra week or two (mainly because it did start fermenting again). When I decided to bottle, it was still tart. I think I will just let it sit in the bottle for 4 weeks or so before trying it. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back