Mr malty vs Brewers friend calc and advice hear for pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I brewed a 1.058og ipa today and using s-04 I checked my pitching rate and all the threads I searched said one pack would b good enough but me malty said 1.2packs would suffice while Brewers friend said 2 packs would suffice. However both had a pitching rate of 223 million cells so I'm confused how with both having the same pitching rate they differed so far on amount of yeast to pitch and breads here said one pack soul b plenty which is my experience with beers of this gravity. So I rehydrated and pitched the one pack cuz I think that'll b enough but any reason or thoughts why these two popular sites differ so much on amount of yeast. I use Brewers friend mostly especially for starters.

You should be good. I think Mr. Malty uses 200B per pack, and I think Brewers Friend uses 110B.

Nobody really knows how many yeast cells are in a package. They take a small sample, dilute it, take a small sample of that to get the numbers down to the amount that can be counted, then extrapolate up to get the numbers of cells per package. I've seen results from 2 respected researchers using the same methods and one had the count 50% higher than the other. Were either of them correct?

The number of yeast cells isn't nearly as critical as many would have you believe. If you pitch yeast into wort, the yeast will replicate if there is the material to do so until there are sufficient cells to do the fermentation. Most of the materials needed are inherent to the wort but one thing that is normally lacking is oxygen. Aerate your wort and the yeast will be able to make more yeast. If you under pitch or over pitch you will still end up with beer. Here's an experiment that was done to see just what would happen. Note that the over pitch was about 5 times the recommended and the under pitch was about 1/7th the recommended.

http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/

Back