Mr Malty Hybrid Fermentation Yeast Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
This weekend I will be brewing a 5.25 gallon batch of Kolsch using WLP029. I plan on fermenting at 58 degrees. Looking at the pitching rate calculator using "hybrid" I need a 1.72 liter starter with 1 vial. I want to avoid spending another $8 on an additional vial but the only vessel I have that will fit on my stir plate will hold a maximum 1.3 liters. What are my options? Can I start with a 1 liter starter, chill and decant after a couple days, and pitch another 1 liter of fresh wort?

No. it is not the volume, perse, but the amount of yeast that volume of wort produces. Can you get a 2 liter flask?

Steve973 said:
No. it is not the volume, perse, but the amount of yeast that volume of wort produces. Can you get a 2 liter flask?

Not in time to build a starter before brew day. I went ahead and put a 1 liter starter on the stir plate. I'll let it hang out for a couple days, decant, and add 1 liter of fresh wort.

Back