Mr. Beer King's Nectar + Midas Touch Clone = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FancyRat

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker but haven't posted yet because of the excellent search feature that has, so far, answered all my newb questions. That said, I've got an extract question that I haven't been able to find the answer to:

I'm planning on brewing up Mr. Beer's "King's Nectar." I have everything I need for one batch, but if I've discovered anything about brewing 2.5 gallons of beer, it's that 2.5 gallons goes mighty fast. Plus, I'll end up with a lot of extra Muscat grape concentrate laying around if I follow the original recipe.

What I'd like to do is double up on the recipe using the ingredients I have on-hand. Here is the Mr. Beer recipe:

1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Can Pale Export UME
1 Packet Willamette Pellet Hops
1 Pouch American Ale Liquid Yeast
1/2 Teaspoon Saffron
2 Cups Honey
2 Cups Muscat Grape Juice

Here is the Midas Touch clone if it also helps:

Ingredients
-------------
Preboil
6 gallons (23 L) water

Boil
8 pounds (3.6 kg) light malt extract - (75 minutes)
2 pounds (900 g) clover honey - (75 minutes)
1/2 ounce (7g) Simcoe hops - (60 minutes)
10 Saffron threads - (end of boil)

Fermentation
White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 ale yeast.

1 quart (1 L) White muscat grape juice concentrate - (3 days)

Bottling
5 ounces (125 g) priming sugar

Starting Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.026
Final Target ABV: 9%
IBUs: 12

Do you think I'll stay in the ballpark if I double the Mr. Beer recipe, but instead of an extra can of HME and UME, use 1lb Dry Amber Malt Extract (for color retention) and 1lb Dry Light Malt Extract?

The only thing I'd have to buy is more hops if that's the case. Any opinions on if I should stay with Willamette like Mr. Beer recommends or should I pick up 1oz of Simcoe like the Midas Touch clone extract recipe suggests?

Thanks in advance!

Back