Mr Beer dilemma: A Tale of Three Cans...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaMan

Reaction score
"In a world of travail and cheap wine the ridiculous becomes sublime." -Ben Sidran

I submit for your consideration these three vintage cans of Mr. Beer extract:

Mr%20Beer%20three%20old%20cans_1.jpg

They were given to me, all having "best-by" dates in 2012. They included three bags of petrified booster packets and the old-style yeast packets under the lids.

Common sense dictates that I promptly throw them away, or perhaps hold onto them a few more years and hope they become collectors items.

Common sense has never been my strong suit, and I am therefore tempted to do something with them. I've considered adding a bunch of DME to them. I also thought about making a Frankenstein batch using all three of the cans together. If I use all of the three yeast packets in the one batch perhaps there is enough life in there to make it work, lol.

I welcome your suggestions or sarcasm... go for it. :fro:

2 years ago I did a batch with the same style expired can of 2012 Canadian Draft, but I used fresh yeast and about a pound of DME.

It. Was. Awful.

If you're dead set on using it, given your situation, I would use fresh yeast and do a partial mash, favoring more grains over LME. If anything, you might be able to brew a barley wine, that with some age, could be halfway decent.

Just my two cents.

The best way to brew Mr. Beer..

1.) crack cans
2.) pour contents of cans directly into the toilet
3.) flush toilet
4.) drink a good beer

Hahaha being a glutton for punishment I would be very interested in seeing how that frankenbeer would turn out!

@NothingRhymesWithCurtiss
@BigStew84
@JohnSand

Thanks for your replies and I will keep you posted.
The Frankenbrew Project will begin when I get some time to brew it up and I will keep you all posted as the hilarity unfolds!

Back