Mozzarella - What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muyongshi

Reaction score
Hey all!

So, I have started recently on the adventure of making cheeses and for some reason, I am not making much headway.

Basically, the curds take 8 hours to form and when they do, the whey is not clearish yellow but milkly white. From everything I've read, I assume that is the symptom that will tell me what's wrong, but I have searched and can't find out the exact reason why that is.

Any thoughts?

I used raw milk from a local dairy, I've tried with lemon juice and citric acid (not at the same time), and chymosin powder I bought online.

What kind of rennet did you use?

Whey for me is a milky white. After making ricotta from the whey the leftover liquid turns a greenish/yellow color. Before that the whey is whiteish.

I think the only things I've used when making mozz was calcium chloride (due to having to use pasteurized milk), citric acid, and rennet.

Temperature is important to cheese making. Maybe check the calibration on your thermometer?

Latest posts

Back