Odd Ingredient Help: Mac'n'cheese Powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCerealKiller

Reaction score
(Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post. Apologies, I'm new to the forum.)

A picture of the "Kraft Double Cheese IPA" has become somewhat of a joke among my friends:

I was thinking about trying to make it a reality as a joke gift for an upcoming occasion. I understand this may be sacrilege and I'm certainly not expecting it to taste very good, but I'm wondering if there is a way to approximate this.

I know that the powder in the Mac'n'cheese is actually mostly whey, but there are some amounts of milk product. There is also the possibility of enzymes/cultures being present, but this should be in incredibly small amounts if any... I was considering dissolving the cheese powder in water and adding it during secondary fermentation. This seems like the most obvious thing to try... I am kind of assuming that by the time it reaches secondary fermentation, the environment is too harsh (alcoholic/acidic) for anything strange to happen with the addition of powder itself (apart from the usual things that could go wrong).

If anyone foresees ways this could go horribly wrong, has a suggestion of what ratio to start out with, or knows a way to approximate the flavour without using the cheese powder, I'm all ears.
Generally, I'm just not sure how feasible this is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting idea.
A few years back, some chef came up with a way to "extract" or isolate the flavor from Doritos, de-fatted and all, and the result was a clear consomme. It made quite a splash, and was on the menu at his restaurant. I think it was Wiley Dufresne and his restaurant was called WD-50. Famous guy in molecular gastronomy.

I'll Google up some more specifics and post back, but I'm pretty sure you could duplicate his process with cheese powder.

Edit: here's the recipe. You can skip some steps here since you don't need to separate the cheese powder from the corn chips. Good luck!

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/doritos-consomme-with-shrimp-smoked-corn-and-cilantro-30215

Last edited:
Use some super old cheesy hops?
I have some super cheesy old hops, like 20+ years old. In addition to the strong cheesy smell, there is an intense herbal aroma that could be amazing to cook with. When I brew with them, the smell coming from the kettle is really appetizing. Might go well with the Mac & Cheese theme.

I suppose the main thing that I would be concerned about is gumming up the plumbing in whichever vessels are exposed to the powder and then getting those vessels clean and sanitary after the project. I'm a sucker for the lolz, but fermenters, fittings, and kegs are expensive.

To that end, I like Jayjay (pretty straightforward by molecular gastronomy standards, despite its disappointing lack of liquid nitrogen ;) ) and DannyBoy's suggestions. They both allow you to filter the solids out and give you some control over the flavor profile of the finished product. I also searched for a mac and cheese flavoring extract, but no luck.

Is this going to be bottled or force carbed? If you're going for natural carbonation, I suppose there's a bit of an unknown quality regarding the powder's effects on your yeast, but it likely isn't anything that will pose a problem.

Found it on Amazon, I couldn’t figure out how to add a link, it’s early and I haven’t had any coffee yet.

Personally I’d make a half a batch and bottle it all then no keg, lines or tap to worry about cleaning. This will either be totally epic or hilariously horrible either way you gotta post back.

Attachments

• 05954BE4-13D3-49D2-AE30-24EED49CDE23.png
    05954BE4-13D3-49D2-AE30-24EED49CDE23.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Back