Moving wort around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkBar

Reaction score
I usually brew 10 or 15 gallon batches outside. I go directly from brew pot -> plate chiller -> carboy. This takes 2 or 3 carboys depending on the batch size. I then move the carboys inside for fermenting. Since they hold at most 5 gallons, I can easily bring the carboy inside using my brew hauler. I'm considering buying a 17 gallon conical, but this presents the problem of it being too heavy to move inside when full of wort.

Does anyone see a problem with this approach? I brew my 10 or 15 gallons as usual, then transfer through the plate chiller into a sanitized bucket. I then take the bucket inside and poor it into the conical. Repeat this bucket transfer method until all the wort is in the conical.

Is there some easier way that I'm not thinking of? I have to deal with stairs so casters aren't a good solution.

I only do 5 gallon batches but think that besides the added risk of wild bacteria due to the extra transfer you should be fine. Dumping your wort in the conical may help with aeration.. only one way to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That would work.

But I'd consider why you want a 17 gallon conical if that's what you have to do. I mean, I want a 14 gallon conical- but that's because I do 10 gallon batches and it would mean filling the conical right out of the chiller, and basically doing no lifting at all. If I still had to lift/pour the buckets, then I don't see the advantage to buying a pricey conical. To me, the advantages would be no pouring and lifting.

If you have other reasons why a conical makes sense, that's different of course. But the main reason for me would be the ease on my old back and joints, and that's why I want one.

I don't see much issue with that, aside from it being a little cumbersome. Adding each bucket-full will aerate your wort, and you don't have to worry about oxidation or sloshing things around too much at that stage of the game.

Latest posts

Back