Moving - What to do with my soon to be sour barrels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two 5 gal barrels that I used to age 5 clean beers. The last of the clean beer is in there now. I had planned on having a sour beer ready to put in the barrel as soon as I take out the last clean beer so I can make the barrels sour barrels. However, I am moving and I didn't want to have new beer in the barrels sloshing all around as I move 1/4 of the way across the country. So the clean beer currently in there has to come out, but the question is, what do I put in there during the move?

My best idea is to take a small amount of something I was planning on innoclutating them with anyways and dumping it in there. I have a flanders red in bottles I could dump in there. I also have some dregs from an all brett IPA that can go in another one. With only a bit of liquid in there, it would be easier to move but will keep the barrels wet. I can flush with CO2 and plug. Thoughts?

If you can figure it out, I strongly suggest moving it filled with a storage solution (Potassium Metabisulfite and Citric Acid are what I see most commonly used). An empty barrel (especially wet) is asking for acetobacter and potentially mold and other nasties to come in and take root. 5 gal barrels are small and light enough when full that I'd think you could do it if you can bung it properly. Read up: http://embracethefunk.com/2014/06/23/barrelcleaning/

If you can figure it out, I strongly suggest moving it filled with a storage solution (Potassium Metabisulfite and Citric Acid are what I see most commonly used). An empty barrel (especially wet) is asking for acetobacter and potentially mold and other nasties to come in and take root. 5 gal barrels are small and light enough when full that I'd think you could do it if you can bung it properly. Read up: http://embracethefunk.com/2014/06/23/barrelcleaning/

Do this. And put the beer in a keg. When you get there rinse the bbls really we'll purge with co2 and rack in.

Latest posts

Back