Moving to Sheboygan/ Anyone want to brew sometime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaKing11

Reaction score
Looking to meet some people in Sheboygan to hang out with and brew. I am moving up there for a job at the Edgewater Power Plant. Heading up thursday for a plant tour and drug screen on friday. Looking for a home or apartment for rent as well. I think it will be a fun place, and Milwaukee will be cool as well
:mug:

Get a place out of the city. Sorry to tell you but Sheboygan is the brunt of a lot of jokes up here. A Milwaukee radio station, 102.1, actually has a funny segment called Who's More Sheboygan. They tell crazy stories and callers try to figure out which one happened in Sheboygan. The mayor is the shining symbol of the town, an alcoholic who this last weekend when he was wasted sexually harased a woman. There are plenty of really nice areas elsewhere so don't be discouraged. :)

http://www.fm1021milwaukee.com/morning/sheboygan.php

yep, I have been reading about the mayor.....None of that really bothers me I would like to live close to work. I will be working 4 10's so I can travel quite a bit for outdoor activities. where is johnson creek located from sheboygan/

When I first saw this topic I thought it said 'chernobyl' (I'm tired) and thought, I'd rather not have any radioactive hooch thanks.

Johnson Creek is in between Madison and Milwaukee, couple hour drive from you. I think your best bet for LHBS will be Northern Brewer in West Allis or as the locals call it Dirty Stallis. They are about 20 minutes from my office so I'll stop there after work. Tons of fresh ingredients, lots of gear, very clean and good prices.

There's a brewpub (or at least there was a couple of years ago when I was last there) called "Hop Haven" that had ok beer. Otherwise, I got nothin'.

cool guys, I plan on seeing the northern brewer store next week while I visit the area. I do almost all my shopping from. It will be cool to see their store.

Hop haven closed up shop I think. I live in Manitowoc about 30 minutes north. Our brewclub has group brewdays every once in awhile. You are more than welcome to come up. The good thing about sheboygan is that you are able to pick up FM 102.1 from Milwaukee, if you are interested in rock music.

What job are you going to do at Edgewater? I work in operations at one of the nuclear plants up the lake.

Jakes liquor will satisfy most of your commercial beer needs.

ETA: 8th Street ale house is great for beer selection. Food is OK. The only good thing there food wise is a rueben sandwich. There is another wannabe gastropub around, but I can't Remember the name. I haven't been able to get there, but I've heard good things. The homebrew shop in fond du Lac sells most of their products in bulk at great prices. Kind of a drive, but worth it. Definitely closer than NB.

Oh, lord. I lived in Sheboygan til I was in high school. It's the classic example of "didn't have a 60's. Had two 50's and went right into the 70's.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I lived in Sheboygon when I interned at Kohler. There was a hb club that a coworkers was in, but that was 2001. I second Jacks liquor. When I go camping, I always stop there and at the WI sausage factory across the street.

Denny330, I will be plant helper-coal yard.I am thankful just to have a job now, let alone be asked from so far away. I will definitely come up. I will probably start in 2 to 3 weeks. We are leaving tomorrow now.

Slobhan...I have lived in SD CA for two years,, I know what you are saying...but it will be better than the small towns I am around now. I still have my Gato Heroi longboard I bought in solona beach. I guess I am saying I don,t care as much about the cool factor.. I am 31 and and want to chill. .........I will def catch jacks

As completely odd as it sounds, there is a relatively large surfing community in Sheboygan, so dont throw that board away. Its obviously not san diego by any means, but there are waves. Ive never done it, but there is a group.

Sheboygan is not bad at all. It is just big enough to attract hipsters and crazies, while maintaining its small town feel.

Yeah, I have seen people surfing there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can just here the guy from Sheboygan jokes now. We have some folks doing it on Lake Erie. Wind surfing is kinda popular too.

+1 to the suggestion for Northern Brewer. And Farmhouse is in Janesville, so shipping from there to the Milwaukee area is quick and cheap!

Back