Moving from bottle to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyJed

Reaction score
I did a pale ale in the spring and bottled it. It tastes great but all of the bottles are undercarbed. I htink maybe I didn't measure the priming sugar well. I just started kegging. I am wondering if I could pour the remaining pale ale out of the bottles in to a keg and put it on gas? I probably have 3 gallons left.

you could, however i believe you will have a problem with oxidation. Its gonna be hard to empty that many bottles, without inducing oxygen into your beer.

You'll probably be ok as long as you take your time and then purge the keg thoroughly with CO2 when you're finished.

This is generally not recommended. You'd be better off adding either sugar or a partial Carb Tablet to each bottle and give them a swirl.

If you decide to pour into the keg, I would suggest you tilt the keg on its side and pour as close to the side of the keg as possible to avoid splashing. Then fill with CO2 & purge several times to get rid of the Oxygen. I'd do it this way because I don't dig bottles anymore.

I would also hit the keg with CO2 first. Since CO2 is heavier than air, that will cause a "puddle" of CO2 to form, cutting down on the O2 contamination.

:off:

I recently pulled an empty 3 gallon keg of very tasty hefe out of the kegerator to clean. When I popped the top, there was a little dab of hefe in the bottom. Since the keg was still cold, I turned it up to slurp up that tasty bit.

I got a dense face full of hefe scented CO2, inhaled, and almost blacked out.

:cross:

I recently pulled an empty 3 gallon keg of very tasty hefe out of the kegerator to clean. When I popped the top, there was a little dab of hefe in the bottom. Since the keg was still cold, I turned it up to slurp up that tasty bit.

I got a dense face full of hefe scented CO2, inhaled, and almost blacked out.

:cross:

I am really going to make it a point to remember this.
The last thing I need is for my already disapproving wife to find me blacked out next to my new keezer.

I have a chest freezer for fermenting. I routinly get a nose full of co2 when I reach deep for a stored beer at the bottom. Sometimes as a drunken friendly joke I let people stick their noese deep and take a whiff.

Probably not the best thing but it's funny to watch....

Back