Moving brew to secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So i have brewed my first Wheat...
This coming sunday it will be in the carboy for 2 weeks. Should I move it into a secondary carboy for a week then move it into the bottles for 3 weeks?
Whats is the reason for moving it into a secondary???

The secondary is used for clarifying, since your making a wheat beer it's not necessary.

Secondary is typically used to clear the beer and to bulk age. But I'd say since you've done a wheat, and wheats are clear to just bottle it now. I had a wheat that was lucky enough to stay in primary for 10 days and is now sitting in the keg for a few weeks to carb.

damn...too slow....

Kilted Brewer said:
I'd say since you've done a wheat, and wheats are clear QUOTE]

Wheats are usually cloudy. If it is a hefe type wheat, let it sit another few days to a week, then bottle. If you want an american style wheat, you can clear it in a secondary for a few days if that's how you like it.

Kayos said:
Kilted Brewer said:
I'd say since you've done a wheat, and wheats are clear QUOTE]

Wheats are usually cloudy.

that's what I meant...NOT clear...the NOT just didn't make it there. That's what you get when you are battling a cold, but still enjoying your HB :mug:

german style hefeweizens should definitely be cloudy...alot of the flavor comes from the yeast as well. and i love me a good bavarian weisse-bier.

that being said, i've also made some great american hefes where i used irish moss and a secondary. they came out great and were more widely accepted with some of my BMC friends.

commercially, there are filtered wheat beers (krystalweizen) which are nice and clear.

It's up to you! :mug:

No matter what, I wouldn't leave it fermenting for more that 3 weeks, and wouldn't leave in the bottle for more than 2-3 months. weizens are best fresh...they lose their quality with age. 2-3 weeks in fermenter + 4-6 weeks in bottles is usually perfect.

Cheers,
DB

Back