Moving Beer from one keg to aonther

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FooFan

Reaction score
Hi All,
Got a question. I have a full size kegerator and a cooler that I have converted in a smaller kegerator. I am going on vacation next month (gonna take the cooler) and need to transfer beer from my larger kegs (5 gallon) to the smaller (2.5 gallon). I know the correct way to go about this is to use the beer lines and push beer from one keg to the other with C02. I am not set-up to do that. So here comes the question... Anyone see a huge problem with setting one keg on the counter and use the ole' auto siphon to move beer from one keg to the other?

Thanks

Other than losing CO2 and exposing the beer to oxygen? No problems. Just make sure you purge your empty keg with CO2 first.

Why can't you build a jumper setup? You've got a month. All you need is a hose with a liquid disconnect on each side.

Why can't you build a jumper setup? You've got a month. All you need is a hose with a liquid disconnect on each side.

that's all it takes...you're definitely going to lose carbonation, and foam the crap out of your beer

5-10 bucks, and you have your solution

that's all it takes...you're definitely going to lose carbonation, and foam the crap out of your beer

5-10 bucks, and you have your solution

There shouldn't be a whole lot of foam with a jumper. If you purge the new keg with CO2 and you have a tight seal on everything, you should be fine. Use a long jumper and set the pressure really low. Vent the new keg every 20-30 seconds to let extra pressure out...

I've only used a jumper once, so I could be wrong. I never had a problem though.

sorry for confusion...i meant there would likely be foam and carb issues with siphoning! i fully endorse jumpers :ban:

heferly said:
sorry for confusion...i meant there would likely be foam and carb issues with siphoning! i fully endorse jumpers :ban:

I agree. Where siphoning will work. Using jumpers are cheap and would be much easier.

You can still siphon. Just siphon onto the target beer port, so it fills from the bottom up. Minimal oxidation.

Have any of you guys ever siphoned carbonated beer? I tried it once, complete disaster. The CO2 was coming out of solution in the siphon tube as it moved, creating bubbles, breaking the siphon. I had to resort to PUMPING the whole mess over with my autosiphon, until that clogged, at which point I had to pour it from one keg to the other.

*shudder*, never again.

shortyjacobs said:
Have any of you guys ever siphoned carbonated beer? I tried it once, complete disaster. The CO2 was coming out of solution in the siphon tube as it moved, creating bubbles, breaking the siphon. I had to resort to PUMPING the whole mess over with my autosiphon, until that clogged, at which point I had to pour it from one keg to the other.

*shudder*, never again.

Same here wanted to travel with a keg and didn't want to stir up the sediment, I waited until the last minute and had exactly the experience described above... I'll be testing out jumpers next time for sure !

Back