Moving A Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So typically when I brew a NEIPA I have either a fridge or CO2 on hand for the transfer / cold crash process but now it is all in my shed (because, you know marriage). I ferment under pressure in converted sankees and need to get one out to the shed to cold crash. There is plenty of CO2 in the keg and the beer has some carbonation so I've been able to vent it, let it fill up, vent etc quite a few times to push O2 out.

My concern especially with this style is my 2 minute walk with a heavy full keg is going to result in a lot of bad sloshing / oxidation. Am I being paranoid? Is the fact that its pressurized going to help me in this case? How much oxidation should I expect - a little goes a long way with this style.

Wait are you spunding? If you've never opened the keg and its been under pressure there will be no O2. There wouldn't be any issue with sloshing except stirring up the trub

so I have opened twice for 2 dry hop rounds - let the pressure build, vent, pressure build vent, etc to try and get some O2 out

Ok well as long as you haven't opened since last dry hop and pressure has built there will be C02 in the headspace and you shouldn't have to worry. And it sounds like youre dry hopping during active fermentation so again minimal worry of oxidation.

You should be fine lugging that keg to the shed.

because, you know marriage

Funny you mentioned this. This will be me soon I'm sure once the shed is put up :smh:....:D:mug:

I'm actually ready to get the shed. That might give me a chance to get another kegerator/ferm control in there

Right now I have a kegerator inside.. but that's all that's allowed

Back