Moving a Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
I am brewing tomorrow at a different house because I have 2 weeks and nothing to do while watching the parents dogs. I will have to move it back to my house in like a week and a half.. whats the best idea for this? It's only like 5-10 miles away. I can drive on the freeway or back roads. Should I just wait and brew at home?

Dont worry. Driving a brew prior to pitching is just like gently aerating your wort. It will be fine as long as your pitching temperatures are ideal when you get home.
-Jefe-

WHy the hell is this thread so deformend? Noone's posted an oversized picture? OP I think you need to remove the dashed line in your sig, it's causing us to have to scroll left to right to try to read the threads. You don't need to put a line in to seperate your sigline, the forum does it automatically.

This is what's happening,

screen21.jpg

It's creating all that dead space to the far right, which forces the viewer to have to scroll back and forth to read, instead of formatting it to fit the screen. It's just like when folks post oversized pictures. It's really bad forum etiquette.

Ok but what about pitching and letting it ferment then moving it. I mean if i brewed today I wouldnt be moving it til July 18th. So obviously I would wanna pitch the yeast. Should I just wait or can you more an actively fermenting beer? Sorry about the signature it has been changed. Never noticed that before.

In 9 days, most of the fermentation should be complete. The fermenter will be carbonated, so keep you airlock on and expect bubbling and some rousing of the yeast. Move the beer, then RDWHAHB!

Ok but what about pitching and letting it ferment then moving it. I mean if i brewed today I wouldnt be moving it til July 18th. So obviously I would wanna pitch the yeast. Should I just wait or can you more an actively fermenting beer? Sorry about the signature it has been changed. Never noticed that before.

You don't need to over stress/over think this....See this?

30611_387808174066_620469066_3994545_5827524_n.jpg

This is national homebrew day, it takes place twice a year at HUNDREDS of homebrew shops across the country, where HUNDREDS of brewers are brewing batches of beer, and then taking them home at the end of the day. In cars (not by levitation ;))

Unless they are doing no-chill brewing everybody pitches their yeast before leaving the various sites.

And since we all come back, noone's ruined a batch of beer by transporting it.

It's safer to do it at that point, then any other part of the fermentation process. You'll get plenty of aeration, your yeast won't be harmed, it will get thoroughly mixed with the wort, the yeast has the best chance of taking hold before anything bad gets in, AND when fermentation happens it would clean up anything that might have happened during transit.

Just stop worrying, brew your beer and pitch your yeast, it will be fine.

Whenever I want to brew full batch all grain I have to travel someplace to do so, since I don't have a yard or anything. So I brew with friends, so nearly EVERY batch I brew I pitch yeast and drive home. I've driven over 60 miles with fermenters with pitched yeast, and never had ANY issues.

I think he means he would be transporting beer on its 10th day of fermenting. Personally, I wouldn't want to move beer that far into fermenting, because chances are it's already reached its FG. FWIW, I would either just wait to brew the day before you leave for home or just wait until you get home altogether.

I missed his second post.

It's tricky. One possibility would be when you got home, pitch more yeast and a little sugar, to have another fermentaion which would then have a cleanup phase right after. There's some discussion about that as a cure for oxydation.

Back