Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
In general, why is it that the beers, say an IPA, I brew don't have the same mouthfeel that a store bought IPA has. Seems to be as thin as water. Thanks in advance for the good advice!

What kind of temperatures do you aim for when you mash?

What kind of FGs do your IPAs usually reach?

What is your usual base malt for your IPAs?

Three things that affect mouthfeel are grain bill, mash temperature, and time for maturity. The mouthfeel changes if you have dextrines left when the fermentation is over and you can add these by using a caramel malt like carapils or caramel 10 if you want a little caramel flavor. You can also make sure there are dextrines by using a higher mash temperature that denatures the beta amylase before it has broken down all the dextrines to fermentable sugars.

Time in the bottles also affects the mouthfeel. This becomes a quandary as while the mouthfeel increases the punch of the hop aroma starts to fade. More time in the fermenter before dry hopping will help this some.

I'd also add boiling time/intensity and means of carbonation to what the above poster said.

Higher gravity, 10% of crystal (or wheat) malt, mash temperature above 64'C.
Maybe your boiling time is too long and too stronger and all proteins gone from wort? If you not boiling (and not chill) use mash out for stop enzime activity.

Final Gravity
Mash Profile
Carbonation
Water Profile

All contributors to mouthfeel.

An extended low temperature mash around 145F-150F will yield a highly fermentable dry wort.
Raising the mash temperature helps but adding in a portion of rye malt or rye flakes can boost beta glucans. With an IPA a low percentage of rye won't really be noticed among the hops.
I brew light dry beers as it suits my water but I've found commercials like Leinenkugel add small portions of rye to their Kolsch-style ales to reduce the perception of thin beer.

Try it, just skip the beta glucanase rest, mash a bit higher, and don't overdo the rye addition beyond 5-10%.

Back