most versatile wyeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmpeethree

Reaction score
my local homebrew supplier is clearing out their stock of wyeast because new packaging is comng? appearently its not expired or anything, and its being cleared for 50% off (4 dollars instead of 8)

im not familiar with using it, just wondering which yeast is a general good yeast for making ales. i'd like to lager but i dont think i could keep it cool enough.

i'd also like to experiment with some strong (high alcohol) brews. which yeast would allow me to get into 8-10%+ alcohol?

i'd like to just buy 2-3 variets and harvest it once i'm done

My choice would be the California Ale and a British yeast. I think the numbers are 1056-1098. An Irish Ale yeast for stouts\porters if that is something you like.

For me 1056 is the most versatile. It ferments clean and is fairly forgiving when it comes to fermentation temperatures. It attenuates thoroughly however so it isn't ideal for malty beers.
What is the new packaging they are getting???

I like the 1056 (american ale) too. I've used it for 4 beers in a row... Unless I'm doing a specialty beer I pretty much stick with it.

If you decide to lager - go for 2124 Bohemian lager. I did Minich Helles, Budvar, Octoberfest, Doppelbock and Baltic Porter with it. Pretty nice range. As for 1056 - I also do american weizen with it.

ugh, all the 1056 were snapped up

i ended up getting:

2112 california lager - figured if i wanted to lager, it would let me do it at higher temps

1275 - thames valley

1318 - london III

they suggested the last one saying it was good

i ended up getting them for 2 bucks each, 6 for all 3, so whatever, we'll see what happens.

the new packaging is actually the XL packages, these are the 50ml ones.

Back