Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:mug: I will stick to my guns and refuse to pay over $4 for a brew unless there is some other form of "entertainment" to make me stick around to enjoy ! I rarely will buy export brews as I am surrounded by great micro-breweries and there are very few of them that I have tried that I liked (the exports not the micro's). Most are skunked and I really don't care for them. :mug: :tank: :D

Short Drive said:
Miller Chill the worst beer in the world for the price. Our wholesale price from the distributor is $20 per case. Thats an insult.

I can't even believe they are allowed to call that beer.

1. Corona- Idiot college kids pay 6$ for this "import"
2. Heineken- Mostly *****ebags and college kids perfer this
3. Shinerbock- Love how TX is now importing into the US.
4. Guiness- just plain yuck

Just about anything by DFH.

Having gone to college in Kalamazoo... Bell's Oberon. I know i'm treading dangerous waters with that one, Good beer, but being limited in supply doesn't magically make it anything more than "good".

I think it's important to realize that we wouldn't consider $10 per six-pack or $8 for a 750ml expensive for beer if it weren't compared to BMC for $4. That's like saying that a single handcrafted chocolate truffle at a local chocolatier isn't worth $1.50 because I can get a whole Hershey's bar for $ .59. Even if I didn't like that particular item, it doesn't mean that it's over-priced. I just won't buy it again.

Likewise, as we can see from this thread, what you consider swill others consider divine. I personally don't like Pilsner Urquell very much. From my tastings, Victory's Prima Pils is far superior. Does that mean that Pilsner Urquell is over-priced or over-hyped? No. As far as the retail world goes, the brewery can't determine what the final price will be. They sell it to a distributor (unless it's self-distributed, of course), the distributor marks it up how ever much they please and they sell it to the retailer who marks it up again. The brewery can only guess what the price to the consumer will be.

We also need to quit blaming the brewery for how much bars and restaurants charge for their beer. That's the bar and restaurant's doing. Everybody knows that the $45 bottle of wine at a restaurant could be bought in a liquor store for $15. Likewise, Shiner Bock at $6 per six-pack (at least here in Dallas) translates to $4 a bottle at a bar. The beer itself isn't over-priced, the restaurant/bar's markup is too high.

Anyway, like I was saying...
Stella Artois is way over-hyped and over-priced! :D

gruntingfrog said:
I think it's important to realize that we wouldn't consider $10 per six-pack or $8 for a 750ml expensive for beer if it weren't compared to BMC for $4. That's like saying that a single handcrafted chocolate truffle at a local chocolatier isn't worth $1.50 because I can get a whole Hershey's bar for $ .59. Even if I didn't like that particular item, it doesn't mean that it's over-priced. I just won't buy it again.

Likewise, as we can see from this thread, what you consider swill others consider divine. I personally don't like Pilsner Urquell very much. From my tastings, Victory's Prima Pils is far superior. Does that mean that Pilsner Urquell is over-priced or over-hyped? No. As far as the retail world goes, the brewery can't determine what the final price will be. They sell it to a distributor (unless it's self-distributed, of course), the distributor marks it up how ever much they please and they sell it to the retailer who marks it up again. The brewery can only guess what the price to the consumer will be.

We also need to quit blaming the brewery for how much bars and restaurants charge for their beer. That's the bar and restaurant's doing. Everybody knows that the $45 bottle of wine at a restaurant could be bought in a liquor store for $15. Likewise, Shiner Bock at $6 per six-pack (at least here in Dallas) translates to $4 a bottle at a bar. The beer itself isn't over-priced, the restaurant/bar's markup is too high.

Anyway, like I was saying...
Stella Artois is way over-hyped and over-priced! :D

Funny what restaurants consider "imports". I was in Charleston SC last summer and one of the restaurants there had Iron City beer on their import list. When I was younger we considered it one step below Natural Light or Busch Light.

The Shiner Bock to me is very overrated. You can pick it up here for 6$ a 6 pack. I really like their Hefeweizen though.

I had a Rolling Rock last night, I thought it was so bad there was no way it could be a "Premium" beer and then I see it in this thread. I thought I was drinking skunky piss, I tried, I tried hard to taste some good in it but I just wanted to dump the glass but I choked it down to be polite.

Also Corona isin't a bad beer for those hot days but it falls under the overpriced category.

Guinness: $7 bucks a sixer in MD 9$ in NM, I could afford it in MD but in NM it is a once a week deal and im hoping I can find a good homebrew stout that does it for me instead.

1. Corona- Idiot college kids pay 6$ for this "import"
2. Heineken- Mostly *****ebags and college kids perfer this

Hell id be lucky to find a college drinker around here that drank that stuff, stuck with Coors Light and Natural Light here. Bring them a case of anything decent and it will sit the whole night. I guess most college kids don't like beer they just want to get drunk. Id prefer 6 good beers to 12 bad anyday. If im out to get drunk ill do a few shots and get it over with quick.

Yeah i had their wit, last week and loved it. Decided to try their triple. and it was by far the worst Belgian attempt i have ever had. Very harsh alc. taste. My first ag is going to be the wit clone.
I really liked Maudite but all of their beers are overpriced. They were dirt cheap in Quebec City, but the dollar was stronger the last time I was up there.

My vote for overrated is Pete's Wicked.

I also think $9 a sixer for anything by Alaskan Brewery is a joke too.

Stella - I don't get the popularity of this beer. Some of my friends rave about it. I have had it. It's not that great. Not real bad, but nothing special.

Sam Adams Boston lager. Again, I am not impressed. Some of their other beers (Octoberfest) I really enjoy but their plain old Boston Lager does not do anything for me.

Hell id be lucky to find a college drinker around here that drank that stuff, stuck with Coors Light and Natural Light here. Bring them a case of anything decent and it will sit the whole night. I guess most college kids don't like beer they just want to get drunk. Id prefer 6 good beers to 12 bad anyday. If im out to get drunk ill do a few shots and get it over with quick.

Shiner and Negro Modelo seemed to be available in NM last time I was there. I have a new respect for Negro Modelo since I found out it was a Viennese import. ;)

Gotta second (or third) Bell's. A colleague kept telling me how fantastic the Two-Hearted was. Finally tried it last week... meh. It was ok, but definitely NOT what I consider a top-shelf IPA. I also have to say that Victory Hop Devil and Hop Wallop are not worth the $$. If you want a way better IPA, try Loose Cannon (Clipper City Brewing in Baltimore). YUM. It makes the Victory IPAs taste malty and bland.

I made the mistake of buying Smuttynose Summer Weizen last night for a concert. Tasted like a mouthful of copper pennies. Managed to down one, and then switched over to Clipper City's Hang Ten (a weizen doppelbock). NASTY NASTY Smuttynose.

I made the mistake of buying Smuttynose Summer Weizen last night for a concert. Tasted like a mouthful of copper pennies. Managed to down one, and then switched over to Clipper City's Hang Ten (a weizen doppelbock). NASTY NASTY Smuttynose.

Try Smuttynose's IPA, though - it's one of my favorites.

Try Smuttynose's IPA, though - it's one of my favorites.

+1 on the Smutty. I haven't tried the summer stuff. But I would say just about everything I've had from them is excellent. Old brown dog is great the robust porter is just that and their barley wine is awesome.

Gotta second (or third) Bell's. A colleague kept telling me how fantastic the Two-Hearted was. Finally tried it last week... meh. It was ok, but definitely NOT what I consider a top-shelf IPA.

You should try Bell's HopSlam then.

One 6er of Loose Canon I got one time was pretty damn fusely, got a rippin' headache. Took me a while to buy another one after that, think it was after having it on tap at the MD Oktoberfest. :drunk: ;)

I don't know about Guinness being "high-priced", per se but I definitely think it's overrated. Decent beer, yes. I just feel that there's much better stouts out there.

:rockin:
Stella - I don't get the popularity of this beer. Some of my friends rave about it. I have had it. It's not that great. Not real bad, but nothing special.

Sam Adams Boston lager. Again, I am not impressed. Some of the other beers (Octoberfest) I really enjoy but their plain old Boston Lager does not do anything for me.

I completely agree on both counts. Stella is just absolutely overrated in my opinion. I have a good friend who can't get enough of it, and I have no idea why. The Boston Lager is, I'd say, better than Stella, but not by a whole lot.

On that note, I'd say pretty much any lighter beer from Sam Adams is below "great" (some more than others). I just don't think they make great lighter colored beers. On the other hand, I'm a great fan of their darker beers, particularly the honey porter, cream stout, holiday porter, and (my favorite) Old Fezziwig.:rockin:

I think some of you are getting ripped off at your liquor stores. Victory 6 packs in NH cost 7.50 with no deposit, same price as corona.

I am not a huge fan of Arrogant Bastard or the Double Bastard but I really like all of their other beers. They cost me about 9.50-10 bucks which is a little pricey but it is coming from CA.

I really like Avery and Middle Ages as well.

I think some of you are getting ripped off at your liquor stores. Victory 6 packs in NH cost 7.50 with no deposit, same price as corona.

...which is less than I buy em by the 6 here in the same state, minutes away from where it's brewed thanks to our state govt.

Well, NH's kind of a special case! I need to make a road trip up to Bratt soon, drop some kegs off with Glib and take a quick trip over the river... liquor cabinet, especially, has gotten wicked deleted.

I agree with what some have said, that all this thread proves is that we all have different tastes.

As my example, I will happily pay what I do for Arrogant Bastard (especially the Oaked), but I will never again buy another DFH product. Every single beer of theirs that I have tried I found disgusting. The latest is their Palo Santo Marron... 12% abv, 100% disgusting... and at $4 for a single 12 oz bottle, that is just NOT worth the money. I shared this beer with 3 friends, and we all hated it.

The latest is their Palo Santo Marron... 12% abv, 100% disgusting... and at $4 for a single 12 oz bottle, that is just NOT worth the money. I shared this beer with 3 friends, and we all hated it.

I shared it with a friend and my GF...while I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way for it again, it was right in-line with that DFH over the top ABV and concentrated flavor theme. Sure didn't hate it but I could see how many wouldn't dig it.

So why post anything at all unless you are going to tell us what you disagree with. Everyone is just stating their particular opinion on the prices of beer in their area. What is there to rant about?

I suppose that is fair...

I agree that some beers are overpriced, like Corona, and I agree Stella is all hype, but the prices most people are talking about are not high. If you don't like big experimental beers and can't appreciate big bold beers, don't buy them. I personally purchase limited run beers on a regular basis and find most of them to be incredible and exactly what the brewer was going for. For example, the Palo Santo that DFH just released was awesome. It just is. Whether or not you personally like something has no affect on whether or not it is actually good (or well done). That is like the garbage grade-school teachers spew to kids that poetry is about whatever you think it is about.... WRONG! It is about what the poet was writing about. Same with beer, just because you don't "get" a beer, doesn't mean it is overpriced.

DFH pushes the brewing boundaries. It is what they do, and they are very good at it. I don't like all their beers either, but they are all "good". Baaahhhhhhhhhh! I didn't want to rant and I refuse to!!!

If you don't like experimenting with beer, don't buy new ones, or just purchase cheap local beers that your know will be safe for you. Just remember, even the most expensive and extravagant bottles of beer are still in the low price range for wine (excluding utopias). I am happy to pay for big bold beers that will be a memorable experience and something new and different.

Personally, I think $1 BMC nights are a rip off, I would not pay a dime for that garbage.

The highest rated beer on rateabeer retails for what.... $12. That's the average price of an everyday wine. How much is the highest rated wine?

DFH 120 generally goes for almost 10$ per 12oz bottle around here. That is pretty steep no matter what beer you are talking about.

I will pay 10 bucks for a 22 of good beer and I agree with Boerderij Kabouter that just because you don't like a particular beer by a brewery, it does not mean that it is not a good beer. I don't like fruit beers but it doesn't that I don't appreciate what the brewer was trying to do.

12 bucks for a 12oz bottle is a bit steep. I have seen my parents pay 150 bucks for a bottle of ice wine that was probably a little more then 20 oz though.

I completely agree with you wine does get a pass. For me, I just can't justify spending alot of money on beer or wine. So it is sad when i find a beer that i really want to try but it is out of my price range.

My god man that's 1/3 the cost of a whole batch.

About the only time I pay for stuff like this...is when I'm taste testing for a new style that I'm about to brew.

Do you go cheap on hookers too?

Well I supposed I could only drink the beer I make but I mean do you never go out to eat too? Sometimes you just want something different.

Personally I have no problem dropping big money on beer once in awhile. If I had more money and less bills, I'd do it a hell of a lot more often. (Granted the most I've spent on a bottle to date is about $25). Give me a few years when I finally get a house, and don't have any vehicle payments or credit card deby, I fully intend on having a beer cellar.

Latest posts

Back