Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem dropping $10 or $12 on a sixer of something interesting. For everyday beers, I'm drinking out of a keg in the basement, so when I buy something there's a *reason* for it (new style to me, something new, something I'm jonesing for that don't have around). I'm not going to drop $10 on a nice Belgian every night, but once in a while doesn't bother me. Frankly, my commercial drinking is such a small percentage of my total consumption that it's almost moot; it's not having much of an impact on finances for the amount of times I actually stop at the packie.

That seems to work for "the country's oldest brewery", as well - Yuengling (or however you spell it). Barely a quarter notch above BMC. The true shame is that all the great buffalo wings places seem to think it's the pinnacle of beerdom.

Agree 100%. It used to be a half notch above but not anymore.

I think Sam Adam's is great for what it is. They do a very good job of making a decent beer in many different styles. Their Oktoberfest is good, I think Bell's Oktoberfest is better, but it isn't bad. If you drink their Spring (white) you get a good idea of the style. From there you can go to micros to find something that is closer to how you like it but Sam is a good middle of the road representation of the style. It is also great because it is a decent price for a 12 pack and most people, including BMC drinkers will drink it. Another plus is that the labels come off easily and they fill and cap very well.

I will agree on Stella, just had it at an airport so it is fresh in my mind. I probably won't purchase it again.

In terms of prices, I have no problem paying for a good beer. I just had this conversation with someone last week. You can get a great Belgian beer (say Corsendonk Abbey Brown) for a lot less than it costs to get bottle of wine of course after considering quantities, so I guess 2 bottles of Corsendonk, yet people are surprised that I will pay so much for a bottle of beer.

I hate threads like this because taste is so subjective. Over priced? Maybe. Over rated? Maybe. It all depends on who you talk to. I'll pay 50.00 for a bottle of Cantillon St, Lamvinus and not bat an eye. Some one else will come along and say it's over rated because it ''tastes like vinegar''. One of the best beers I've ever had was a long neck Bud at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville TN. I would have paid 10.00 for that bottle of Bud that day. Would I buy that beer in Seattle? No, but that's the point. It was the right beer for the right occasion.

It's all beer, man. There are certain styles I like over others but, it's all beer. And it's all good. Take it easy, relax, enjoy. :mug:

I hate threads like this because taste is so subjective. Over priced? Maybe. Over rated? Maybe. It all depends on who you talk to. I'll pay 50.00 for a bottle of Cantillon St, Lamvinus and not bat an eye. Some one else will come along and say it's over rated because it ''tastes like vinegar''. One of the best beers I've ever had was a long neck Bud at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville TN. I would have paid 10.00 for that bottle of Bud that day. Would I buy that beer in Seattle? No, but that's the point. It was the right beer for the right occasion.

This goes double with prostitutes.

Not that I would know....

I hate threads like this because taste is so subjective. Over priced? Maybe. Over rated? Maybe. It all depends on who you talk to.

Of course it is. The point of threads like this is the same as asking "what's the best movie of all time:" it's not to come up with any definitive answer, but instead to get a discussion going. I think it's been interesting, even though I disagree with a lot of the responses.

STELLA. STELLA. STELLA. God help me, this crap is EVERYWHERE. It's not a "bad" beer, but it's not really much better than BMC either. Yet, everywhere I go, they've got it on tap and are charging premium prices for it. Are you kidding me? And to make matters worse, all the doofuses who normally drink BMC or Cali Chard order Stella and they think they're drinking some exotic potion. Their self-satisfaction smells like turds.

I was at a very nice restaurant and asked the waiter if they had any Belgian ales. He went away and brought back a Stella. I drank it not wanting to cause a fuss, but it did no justice to the very rich appetizer courses that I was having. After I finished the bottle his assistant asked me if I wanted another, so I politely informed her that I was looking for something darker with more flavor. The waiter then returned with a bottle of Chimay Red. I have never been so happy, yet so angry with a person in all my life. On one hand I got the Chimay in time for it to perfectly accent my main course. On the other, it should have been my 2n'd Chimay of the day. ;)

It's all beer, man. There are certain styles I like over others but, it's all beer. And it's all good. Take it easy, relax, enjoy. :mug:

I love me some Cantillon. I couldn't read most of this thread because I am with you on this. I've never thought of a Corona as being overpriced, but I've never really considered paying for one. At the same time, I have three bottles of Alesmith barrel aged Speedway sitting next to my in my cube, and I don't think the 20 dollar price tag was bad for each.

Thinking of Heinekin as a high priced beer is just baffling to me, I guess.

Yuengling is great cheap beer. I started drinking it in college when it was $3 a sixer. I Still like it. In my local bodega I can get it for $1.49 a 22oz. Last time I bought a 12 pack it was $7.99. cheap decent beer.

I HATED Sam adams Tripple bock. I bought 6 (on sale) and drank one sip. i've give two away, and three are rotting in my basement.

Read this thread a few days ago, and I had never heard of Yuengling. Last nite, I went over to visit my dad, and his wife had just returned from PA, and she had brought him home some. I drank two of them, and just wasn't too impressed. It was good beer, but not great. I don't know how much it cost, so if it is really a cheap beer, then I would probably drink it if they sold it here. I have been drinking a lot of Sam Adams tho. I know there are better beers for their styles, but I havn't been able to find a store that sells a wide variety of beer around me, so Sam Adams it is. (Plus I save the bottles)

Read this thread a few days ago, and I had never heard of Yuengling. Last nite, I went over to visit my dad, and his wife had just returned from PA, and she had brought him home some. I drank two of them, and just wasn't too impressed. It was good beer, but not great. I don't know how much it cost, so if it is really a cheap beer, then I would probably drink it if they sold it here. I have been drinking a lot of Sam Adams tho. I know there are better beers for their styles, but I havn't been able to find a store that sells a wide variety of beer around me, so Sam Adams it is. (Plus I save the bottles)

yeungling is dirt cheap for the most part. I think it is only good on tap though.

.....I havn't been able to find a store that sells a wide variety of beer around me, so Sam Adams it is. (Plus I save the bottles)

There are two holy lands in Central Arkansas, but you might have to drive a little. First is Psringhill Liquior in North little rock. Exit I40 at springhill in NLR and go to McCain Blvd and it is righ there. The other is colonial wine and spirits on Markham in LR, across from shotgun dans in the old Ford dealer building. Both have awsome selections for the bible belt. Colonial is probably the only place in AR that sells Thomas Hardy Ale! Also, Raferty's at the county line is also pretty good. My main stop on a quick trip tothe county line. I quit going to the other two as much because of gas and everytime I went I couldn't walk out without spending a lot of money.

Reading through this thread again had me thinkin'....How much of the pricing of some of these craft brews are a marketing ploy? I can understand the prices of things like New belgium's Follie, or Chimay grande reserve, or some beers where they are in very limited quantities due to barrel aging, etc. How much of it is "If we have this beer retail at $10+ for a 22oz, the masses will think it is something special"? I'm a guitar player and hang out on some guitar boards. On one we had a long discussion about Gibson and there was one theory tossed out. Some years ago the company made soem changes and decreased the retail price on their instruments. Sales lagged, if not declined. Increased their prices and didn't change production and sales increased. How much is consumer perception?

Reading through this thread again had me thinkin'....How much of the pricing of some of these craft brews are a marketing ploy? I can understand the prices of things like New belgium's Follie, or Chimay grande reserve, or some beers where they are in very limited quantities due to barrel aging, etc. How much of it is "If we have this beer retail at $10+ for a 22oz, the masses will think it is something special"? I'm a guitar player and hang out on some guitar boards. On one we had a long discussion about Gibson and there was one theory tossed out. Some years ago the company made soem changes and decreased the retail price on their instruments. Sales lagged, if not declined. Increased their prices and didn't change production and sales increased. How much is consumer perception?

In my opinion, perception is the biggest part of the price structure of most things. Brewers have learned all the nasty ploys of the wine producers. If it's expensive, it must be good. Yeah, right! :mad:

I don't necessarily think that having expensive beers is a bad thing and I don't consider it a ploy. The industry needs wine-like pricing, after all, the high priced beers will more likely be craft beers and not macros. Also note that the BMC's (who are they?) of the wine industry do not wield the same odious distribution stranglehold as they do in the beer world.

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/how-much-should-you-pay-for-beer/

Practically speaking, by paying higher prices we give brewers reason to make the beers we want to drink. Think about Thomas Hardy Ale and Samichlaus, two imported beers known for their alcoholic strength when few such beers were sold in America. They had cult followings, yet the breweries producing those two stopped brewing them without even a simple press release. The beers returned to life at other breweries because of consumer demand, in this case consumers willing to pay higher prices.

I wasn't implying that all high priced beer was a part of a marketing ploy. I just meant to say that this is always an option, and it gets used.

"Practically speaking, by paying higher prices we give brewers reason to make the beers we want to drink." This also gives brewers a reason to market cheap beer at a higher price as something that less knowledgable people will think is good beer because the marketers told them so. I'm not saying that this is the norm, I'm just saying that they are out there. Once a market has been established, producers will immediately cover every single angle.

Its too bad this thread rapidly degenerated into a which beer do you like/not like thread. It was a good idea while it lasted

While I agree that DFH is generally overpriced, they are making expensive beers. Stuff like Theobroma/Fort/etc. isn't exactly cheap to make. Other than the 60 min, Shelter Pale Ale, Indian Brown Ale, and Raison D'Etre, I consider DFH to be a novelty brewery. Its cool to have one or two really strong beers here and there, but if I got in the habit of drinking a 4pk of 90 min (8-10$ depending where I get it) every day then that could be an expensive habit.

After they took rolling rock from pennsylvania it went downhill, so thats too expensive for what i'm getting.

I am generally opposed to all forms of magic hat, I've never had one that didn't either taste like soap or was completely flat when I poured it.

There are only a few good varieties of sam adams, I remember paying 28 dollars for a sampler case that I only liked 4 bottles from.

Tommyknocker variety pack was absolute ****.

Ithaca brewing was alright but definetly not worth the 33(after tax)

Stone/Rogue - When I can find their stuff on draught its awesome, but if not, I'm stuck paying like 3$ a bottle for a 12 ounce stone IPA (not even ruination) and 4.50 for Dead Guy.

I think this thread can be summed up nicely here:

Better tasting beers tend to cost more at bars, whether they're imports or not. Any non-BMC beer will cost more than a BMC, and some are worth the price while some aren't.

Any beer I like is better than any beer you like and I don't.

Does that about take care of it?

Good, I can go back to the InBev thread! :cross:

:off:Completely different from the stuff in Ireland and again from the stuff I used to drink in Scotland. The American version is way too watery. You should almost be able to chew it down in big gulps!

I had it on tap at St. James Gate...I didn't think it was very different at all. It was served slightly warmer, that's about it.

Abita. Their Brown/Porter is okay for being relatively inexpensive, but I tried the amber one day, and I promptly returned the entire sixer. Since then, I'll have no part in any of their others, save for the Brown.

Anything by Becks. It all tastes skunky and old.

Kingfisher et al. Trash lagers, no better than BMC, but sold at Indian restaurants at "premium" prices.

Kirin, Sopporo, etc. See above. Not too different from BMC, but sold by various Asian restaurants like it's Liquid Gold.

STELLA. STELLA. STELLA. God help me, this crap is EVERYWHERE. It's not a "bad" beer, but it's not really much better than BMC either. Yet, everywhere I go, they've got it on tap and are charging premium prices for it. Are you kidding me? And to make matters worse, all the doofuses who normally drink BMC or Cali Chard order Stella and they think they're drinking some exotic potion. Their self-satisfaction smells like turds.

Redhook ESB. Again, pushed by many places as premium, but it's not. The winterhook is okay.

Magic Bullsh*t Hat. There's a huge following, but don't ask me why. All their beers taste watered down, like they want to be craft brewery, but can't bring themselves to risk alienating the BMC crowd. Ugh.

Hoegaarden. A good wit, but bland in comparison to real-deal belgian wit done by artisan producers and not an international conglomerate.

Guinness. Nuff said. Oh, it's dark, so it must be mysterious and exotic. Pfft.

Killians. Tastes like Goldfish crackers. Do they salt their brew?

Rolling Cock. The most skunked beer of all the skunky beers. I'll drink a gallon of bud light before I put my lips to a Rolling Rock. And the nerve to actually charge MORE for this tripe? Nas-tay.

I could go on, but I have a meeting in 5 mins.

When I saw this thread, the FIRST thing that came to mind was Stella Artois! I agree with your other picks as well.

I'd add Samuel Smith beers. They're decent, but INCREDIBLY expensive. Their porter is skunky and their imperial stout is pretty cloying IMHO.

For example, the Palo Santo that DFH just released was awesome. It just is. Whether or not you personally like something has no affect on whether or not it is actually good (or well done). That is like the garbage grade-school teachers spew to kids that poetry is about whatever you think it is about.... WRONG! It is about what the poet was writing about. Same with beer, just because you don't "get" a beer, doesn't mean it is overpriced.

DFH pushes the brewing boundaries. It is what they do, and they are very good at it. I don't like all their beers either, but they are all "good".

If you don't like experimenting with beer, don't buy new ones

Here, here :mug:

Sure, I don't like some DFH beers but I cannot deny the quality of their brews nor the sincerity of their ambition. I love how they refuse to hew to the style guidelines that too many other brewers take as license to be just "good enough"--honestly, how many super-hopped ales can we have to choose from until we realize that their most varied aspect is not the beer but the label?!

DFH is perhaps the ONE, nationally-distributed micro that I would argue is NOT hyped enough!

I can't figure out how people even finish a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Their Hefe and Obtoberfest are two of the only drinkable beers I've had from them, and I bought a sampler once and tried their standards. I still have to try their Winter and Spring seasonals though.

Samuel Smith is so friggin expensive, $9 for 4 bottles?! But I can't call them overpriced, just out of my league most days.

Redhook's ESB is a bit bland to be considered a microbrew bitter thus making it overpriced to me. I saw a clone kit of it at my LHBS and thought "why?"

But what kills me is what people will pay for some beers at bars. I'm drinking a pint of Yuengling for 2 or 3 bucks, and someone comes in and pays the same 3 bucks for a Coors Light in a bottle. That's overpriced. Or even the guy paying 3 bucks for Bud Lights. Geez, after drinking 3 you just paid for a 12-pack buddy.

Or when I was with a buddy and he paid 5 bucks for a girl to pour a 16 oz can of Guinness into a glass for him.

I live in Northern MD so getting Yingling back in the 90s wasn't a big deal....It wasn't available in MD but I'm like 5 min from the PA line...Easy to get. Anyway.... they started distributing it in MD and I was at the Outback restaruant...they were out of Fosters (go figure) so I noticed that Yingling was on tap....I'll have one of those....The barmaid tried to charge me 2.00 more than the Fosters.... I inquired?....Answer "It's an import". I calmly explained that it is was made just one state away...maybe 40-50 miles in Pottstown Pa. She insisted that I was miskaken and I asked to speak to a manager. Said the same thing....except he added it was imported from China!!!! WTF!?!

[/I]

I am going to have to say "Beer 30". It was only $9.99 for a thirty pack but after we were into it a ways we decided even that was to much money. I am a man who likes cheap beers but I guess even I have a limit.

I can't figure out how people even finish a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Their Hefe and Obtoberfest are two of the only drinkable beers I've had from them, and I bought a sampler once and tried their standards. I still have to try their Winter and Spring seasonals though.

Samuel Smith is so friggin expensive, $9 for 4 bottles?! But I can't call them overpriced, just out of my league most days.

Redhook's ESB is a bit bland to be considered a microbrew bitter thus making it overpriced to me. I saw a clone kit of it at my LHBS and thought "why?"

But what kills me is what people will pay for some beers at bars. I'm drinking a pint of Yuengling for 2 or 3 bucks, and someone comes in and pays the same 3 bucks for a Coors Light in a bottle. That's overpriced. Or even the guy paying 3 bucks for Bud Lights. Geez, after drinking 3 you just paid for a 12-pack buddy.

Or when I was with a buddy and he paid 5 bucks for a girl to pour a 16 oz can of Guinness into a glass for him.

Just picked up a sixer of Redhook ESB for $5.49, even though it is not my favorite beers or even in my top 20, at that price it is better than bud light.

Other than some of the ones mentioned that I do agree with, I would have to add anything from Blue moon, Post Road and a re-post of Magic Hat. I wanted to like the Magic hat, and kept trying to get into it, but it was a craft beer, but dialed way back IMHO.

I have to stick up for Guinness, Victory (how can you not like hop devil???) and Sam Adams. All three are on my order list at a bar when the selection of good beer is limited.

I'm a noob in the brew world (I've made two batches so far-- and so good), and I've been reading on here for a while before I signed up, and this thread caught my eye.

Definitely agree with above. Magic hat and Blue Moon are completely overrated. All my friends from VT rave about Magic Hat-- not my cup of tea. Sam Adams has always been a great choice for me (then again-- I did grow up in Boston, which always helps :D ).

Celebration....it's just another IPA...I just don't get it.... (Course I buy a sixer every fall...) They should just make it all year long....why is it a seasonal???? It's surely not Chistmassy (or Hannakkee or Quansaee....)

without reading the whole thread i would say Dogfish is overpriced over hopped bung

i dont drink much beer but i would say that guiness is definatly over priced and most american guiness is just budwiser with food coloring... I had a cream stout a month back or so which was horrid, and cost major... oh wait that was my friends home brew hich he made with a total home bre kit which cost 200 bucks (three extracts, two buckets, 0 12oz bottles, racking cane, bottling buckett, and yeast) and it was ****e beer... i dont think that counts... had some Dogfish once, didnt pay for it though... i hate to say this but i have to... i love Woodchucks (draft cider, i know its not beer but its a regualr for me) and it tends to be over priced.... Miller highlife.... aslo over piced for stuff that doesnt evenrate as beer

Cheers

I seriously doubt its been mentioned, but John Labatt's Classic-Extra Special Aged... It came in a wooden case and all sorts of things to make you think it was fancy, but that fact of the matter is that it sucked so badly my roommates Dad gave it to us thinking college kids drink anything, we passed it off on my friends because my beer is better, and we have found NO ONE that will drink it. Its been dubbed 'soy sauce beer'

I dumped out my first ever commercial craft beer a few weeks ago. I bought a DFH Immort Ale for about $5 (12oz). It was cloyingly sweet and near undrinkable. But I don't hate them for it. And I'm backing Yngling on this one. Not craft, but drinkable. This from a long time Labatt Blue drinker. (It's not really an import here in MI, often cheaper than BMC)

i dont drink much beer but i would say that guiness is definatly over priced and most american guiness is just budwiser with food coloring... I had a cream stout a month back or so which was horrid, and cost major... oh wait that was my friends home brew hich he made with a total home bre kit which cost 200 bucks (three extracts, two buckets, 0 12oz bottles, racking cane, bottling buckett, and yeast) and it was ****e beer... i dont think that counts... had some Dogfish once, didnt pay for it though... i hate to say this but i have to... i love Woodchucks (draft cider, i know its not beer but its a regualr for me) and it tends to be over priced.... Miller highlife.... aslo over piced for stuff that doesnt evenrate as beer

Cheers

Sigh. Here we are again with the Guinness. Having recently had Guinness on tap at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, it's not even a little bit different from the Guinness you get on tap here in the States. This is probably one of the most perpetuated beer myths I know. It's either that or that Guinness is supposed to taste 'thick'.

Now on to my WTF moment of the day:

BrewinJack said:
i dont drink much beer but i would say

Dude, your posting on a beer forum! (at least a sub-forum dedicated to Commercial Beer).

Back