Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't hate on macro beers, they have their place. Heck, I still keep a stock of Coors heavy in the fridge for when I need something with carbonation, but will allow me to still accomplish tasks. As far as overrated beers? Most of you touched on them; Blue Moon, "pastry" stouts(WTAF?), Corona/clear/green glass beers. Dead Guy is a good beer. This is why we're all allowed opinions, just that some are wrong. ;)

I won't hate on macro beers, they have their place. Heck, I still keep a stock of Coors heavy in the fridge for when I need something with carbonation, but will allow me to still accomplish tasks. As far as overrated beers? Most of you touched on them; Blue Moon, "pastry" stouts(WTAF?), Corona/clear/green glass beers. Dead Guy is a good beer. This is why we're all allowed opinions, just that some are wrong. ;)
Lol did anyone read my whole post, I said dead guy ale was ok, I like the beer I just think it's overrated, the way everyone talked about it I was expecting fireworks and music when I tasted it. That didn't happen.

No it wasn't in response to you. I was a dunce and didn't it edit to add to my post. Thankfully most can figure it out without getting feathers ruffled, but don't want to assume anymore these days. :mug:

Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. It was decent before InBev took over, now it sucks, imho. Still, it is the top draft seller in most of the pubs I visit.

Just asking for opinions on people’s most overrated brand of beer.
It can be a craft beer, but I’d like to stick to ones that are pretty well known around the globe.

I’ll start.
For me, I don’t get why people drink Heineken. Every damn time I’ve decided to give it another chance, I regret it. ALWAYS gives me a throbbing headache. Corona is another beer that I would pass by if other Mexican beers are available.

I am with you. I LOATHE Heineken. Absolutely LOATHE it. Corona is okay in major cities in Mexico where it is fresh. It skunks quickly in those clear glass bottles. It's all about the supply chain. But even fresh, it is sort of unremarkable, just not offensive, to me. Lowenbrau doesn't do much for me, either. Bud Lite? Meh. In that category I prefer Miller Lite, ice cold. It actually works for me on a hot summer day here in New Orleans. Bud Lite just doesn't measure up. Really though, I seldom drink any beer these days that I don't brew myself. We go out to eat maybe twice a year and I usually just have wine. I don't like paying for craft beer and it is amazing how many restaurants don't have Miller Lite. They want you to drink the high ticket beers and I find myself way too critical of them when I am paying twice as much. My own brews are usually heavy ales or stouts, very lightly hopped with a lot of body. Current drink-think seems to favor extremely hoppy brews and I find them almost nauseating, especially IPAs.

When I see clever graphics or humorous names or pushy catchy marketing, my alarm bells go off, and if socially forced to drink, I pre-dislike it, as often as not. Same with wine. Everybody wants a catchy name. I would rather have a catchy taste. Trendy stuff turns me off. Give me a 2 year old plain label classic Beujolais or Burgogne any day and a 10yo tawny port for desert. Catchy labels not welcome at table. Our junk wine at home is usually a white zin, by the box or gallon jug. Even with seafood I don't really care for most whites and when dining out I will just skip the wine and have them make me a pitcher of iced tea, don't spare the lemon. I know, ok, yeah I am an uncouth savage. At home though, meals are always accompanied by a pint of my stout though we will serve a wine for company.

No mention of PBR yet? Old Style? I've never understood the hype of either of those

Meh. Ice cold PBR on a hot summer day outdoors isn't going to give me an attack of the vapours and if it is cold enough, as a guest I feel adequately beered. It was actually very disturbing to me when it became trendy. It's not a go-to for me, though. Never drank Old Style.

Dark Lord. 3 Floyds cashed in to the max during the heyday of craft beer becoming cool and let's go stand in the rain all day for this mediocre imperial stout and pay an outrageous price for the privilege.
I still like Dark Lord but agree on the price. I enjoyed going when it had musical acts and you could share beer from all over the world which made it somewhat worth it, but now they charge the same damn price for Dark Lord (maybe more) and you just pull up, get it, and drive away! Still a solid stout and some of the variants (Chemtrailmix) are pretty good IMO. The rest of their beer is VERY overrated (Gumball Head).

I think King Sue fand DDH King Sue from Toppling Goliath is overrated. I've had it multiple times and in cans/draft and just don't get the hype. Treehouse (previously mentioned) blow these out of the water.

how do you loathe heineken, it is at worst a rather inoffensive macro lager, it's worst quality a lack of any real character.
I don't know, it just tastes horrible and it feels like punishment to drink it. I am kind of short on the "proper" adjectives. It tastes old, foul, like something I shouldn't be drinking. This, even in Europe where it is presumably not spoiled by transit and storage.

I have some of their 25th anniversary, and while it wasn’t hyped, I prefer it over any of the barley wines I have made.

On topic: I recently tried some Belgians, and, nope, I cannot handle the yeast expression. All I get is bubblegum, and I hate bubblegum.

Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. It was decent before InBev took over, now it sucks, imho. Still, it is the top draft seller in most of the pubs I visit.
I’ve had that before and liked it. Though I probably wouldn’t say it was one of my highest rated ever. When was the takeover? Just curious.

how do you loathe heineken, it is at worst a rather inoffensive macro lager, it's worst quality a lack of any real character.
Green bottles = skunk. I’d say with no scientific evidence just from drinking experience that more than half of the Heineken we get is Skunk. Now when you get a fresh one, its pretty good. The problem is finding a fresh one.

I haven't read through all the postings here, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Michelob Ultra, fizzy yellow water and the go-to brew for hipsters following rock climbing or a 30 mile triathalon.
I wouldn’t say there’s any hype to Michelob Ultra. It’s a low carb beer at 2.6 carbs. Keto diet is big now and people are trying to cut back carbs. This is a case of a brewery responding to consumer demand.

For what its worth, Miller Lite is the original light beer and that one is only 3.2 carbs. I did a side by side comparison and Lite has more color, body, and flavor for that extra fraction of a carb.

If you take a look at the number of carbs in the beers you are drinking, I think you will understand why some people are looking for lower carb beers.

05487C7E-E3FD-469C-8B48-0932BEFBCE46.jpeg

I'm old been brewing and drinking craft beers since the early 90s. Can't stomach American main stream beers. And quite frankly don't understand why anyone likes American lite beers. They taste like you poured tap water in a glass that had real beer in it previously. As for all the catchy names and crazy labels of craft beers, they IMO, are to get you to try their offerings that are usually run of the mill at best. I'm very aware taste buds vary and that's what makes the world go round. I'm just no longer interested in paying premium prices to sample some of the products being produced now days. I rarely order a pint at a brew pub without first trying a sample so I know if it's worth drinking. IME I typically like homebrewed beers better than most commercial offerings. But don't get me wrong there are some great ones out there that are well worth buying. I still enjoy traveling the country and sampling brews along the way.

I have to offer up Spotted Cow and Guiness Stout.
I can drink either one but choose not to.
Then there's Anchor Steam :confused:. If their only claim to fame is the method of heating the kettle.....
Might as well add in "Fully Krausened" to the list of meaningless claims.
I'll second the Guinness. That beer is so flavorless.. I never understood the hype. Being on tap with nitro made it creamy on the tongue and is usually how it is offered on draft around here now. The Extra Stout I do like though.

Probably a very unpopular opinion, but I've been extremely let down by anything Grimm has brewed since they left their initial gypsy brewery phase way back at the beginning.

On top of that, once they opened their actual place the prices climbed to ridiculous highs, even more than everything next to them in the cooler, brewed by other places in the same neighborhood of Brooklyn, who still charge less. You can't find a 4 pack for less than $20, even low ABV beers.

Green bottles = skunk. I’d say with no scientific evidence just from drinking experience that more than half of the Heineken we get is Skunk. Now when you get a fresh one, its pretty good. The problem is finding a fresh one.

I guess i've never had "old/imported" heineken, I don't buy it here in finland and if I visit my parent's in NL, it's mostly in restaurants that I might get a pint with food if they have nothing decent on tap.

Pliny the Elder... Was voted best beer in the history of the universe for like 7 years straight or something. Had to try it. I got a growler filled of it. Worse thing that's ever been in that growler. I had to apologize to my growler and all this time later I still feel bad for filling it with hop vomit. I like IPAs, but that was just gross.

Pliny the Elder... Was voted best beer in the history of the universe for like 7 years straight or something. Had to try it. I got a growler filled of it. Worse thing that's ever been in that growler. I had to apologize to my growler and all this time later I still feel bad for filling it with hop vomit. I like IPAs, but that was just gross.

Same goes for Bell's Two Hearted.
Don't get me wrong, a very good beer but I was disappointed when I finally got to try it when I was in NY a few years ago.
The title of best beer in the world has a lot to live up to I guess so it will always be difficult not to disappoint.
Or maybe I got a bad pint?

I blame your growler.

Fosters is up there on the list of don't bother.
They used to advertise it as "Fosters, Australian for beer".
Funny thing was when I was in Sydney and asked about Fosters the local response was "that's what we export to the US, we don't keep it here", and another said the slogan should be "Fosters, Australian for pi_s".
I've only ever had one out of a bottle in the US and I can't say it was memorable.

Any beer I'm gonna be charged 5, or more, dollars for. By God, it's just beer.

Off topic: Please don't put adulterants in a beer at a restaurant ESPECIALLY if the customers ask you repeatedly "Please no lime/lemon/orange/cherry/or sliver of chili.

The wife and I two weekends ago went to a fancy tourist restaurant in a neighboring ski village. We had two other couples with us and ran up a bill bordering on 300$. The waitress put something in EVERY beer we ordered. We asked for no fruit or veggies every time, but she must have been passive-aggressive. I left her a wooden nickle I won at a cowboy action shooting event. She followed us to the parking lot to complain. We tried to politely explain the problem to her, but she didn't get it and did alot of cussing.

Back