Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never found a single one I like. I think they lack nuance. I love hops, but I like it to be in a balance with malt and yeast character. I generally don't like most IPAs, but NEIPAs seem to play with malt and yeast the least. It's all the same base beer with different, but almost always American, hops.

And they take over tap lists. Everywhere I go I have to comb to through twenty IPAs hoping I find a saison, lager, brown, stout, etc.

I feel that.

I think they can have nuance. Most of which comes from differences in hops. And good ones do have some yeast and malt character. It is definitely well hidden behind the hop character, but it can be found. But people are making just total hop bombs. Or yeasty messes. Which suck, and are made by people that do not fully understand the style.

And yes, the overloaded tap lists with 12 NEIPA, and a hoppy lager are a little crazy. But, NEIPAs are money makers. Hype train also has a boxcar for cash attached to it. Same with these pastry stouts and crazy fruited "sours". That is why we see it more often. Breweries trying to pay the bills man...it sucks, but its a hard reality. As a beer lover, it makes me sad when I see it. I can understand it but, make me a Doppelbock man!

Coors has been the beer I'd least likely to pick out of any selection of other beers. Leaded or unleaded it has no taste to me and reminds me of the softened water at my grandparents house that I never liked to drink or bathe in.

Corona's and Heineken would also be beers I'd least likely choose if I had a choice, but at least they have taste. Sort of what I imagine cow piss to taste like.
I've literally bought Coor's original though just because of Smoky and the Bandit. Don't care what it tastes like. Jerry Reed risked his life to bring that beer east of the Mississippi. Good day, sir!

I have never had a Bell's Two Hearted experience that has convinced me it deserves its perennial position at the top of "Best Beer in America" lists.

Don't get me wrong. It is a fine product. It is in my core rotation, but four years at the top of the Zymurgy list? Literally overrated.

Was thinking the exact same thing, I can't say it any better. Didn't realize it was 4 years on top of the Z list.

I have 2 categories of over hyped to address:
1. Beers that are only released in a limited area so craft beer enthusiasts (ie us) go crazy trying to get it. I'm looking at you Spotted Cow. I just had one last week and although a good beer, not worth driving to Wisconsin to get it (I live in northern Indiana). Same with Zombie Dust for areas that 3Floyds doesn't distribute. It was a great beer 6 years ago, and still good, but not worth the hype.

2. I think any special release at this point is over hyped. Presale online tickets + long lines + crazy high prices is just too much in today's craft beer environment. It was great when craft beer was just getting popular and a bourbon barrel aged stout was unique, but I can get a 4-pack of Dragon's Milk any day of the week for like $16.
Granted, when I lived in Northern IL, I made any number of trips to Munster, IN for a supply of Zombie Dust and Gumball Head. Not a lot of people might have, but for those particular beers it was worth it. I did draw a big line at paying exorbitant amounts of money ahead of time, for tickets to have the privilege to stand in lines for hours for a chance to get my paws on some Dark Lord. WAY OVER HYPED. And I knew people who made the pilgrimage ever year.
As far as Spotted Cow. It's a solid beer, and would definitely have one when we were in WI for whatever reason. Absolutely would not have made a special trip for it. I would however make a WI run for New Glarus Fat Squirrel.

I think Fat Tire is a little bland but enjoyable. However for several of my friends it is literally the only beer they buy at the grocery store and I don't get the adoration.

This is a surprisingly tough thread for me to reply to. I immediately think of anything from the macros (Budweiser, Coors, etc.) but then I think does anyone actually rate these highly in the first place? Like would even a regular drinker of Bud Light say, "It is hands down the best beer in the world!"? To me these are beers people just grab out of habit, and they're generally people who aren't looking to get anything out of a beer but familiarity.
And the other part of the difficulty is that I don't know many people that are into beer in the first place...I know what I like, but not what is popular with others that I might find "meh". I also don't have access to stuff like Pliny or Heady Topper to see for myself if the hype is warranted. :(
My go to beer that I always have on hand is Pilsner Urquell. Maybe there's people out there that think it's overrated?

May favorite beer is Redhood Double Black Stout. Bourbon beers can be very good (Avery Tweak).
But when the coffee fights with the base beer, and the bourbon becomes boozy, then they are among my least favorite beers.
But because they are often high ABV, they have high Untappd global ratings.

The Lost Abbey Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel Age is the most overrated beer comparing my rating with Untapped global rating.
Goose Island Bourbon Brand Coffee Stout is another "didn't they bother to taste this mess before selling it?" They should have baked cakes with it instead.
Bell's Hopslam, though not a stout, but overdoes a good idea. (And I usually like DIPAs.)
Oskar Blues Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY, ruins an excellent base.
And so on.

Not sure why NEIPA gets a bad wrap? Honestly, it may be due to the crap ones that exist, from people that didn't know the style, and were just trying to replicate it as fast as they could so they could make money. I have had some really bad ones, but its a great style when it is done well. Definitely in my top 3.

If them being "bad" is the only reason, then its almost a cop out. You can have "bad" beers in any style.
thats why I wrote "almost all"

I agree that Stella is over hyped. However, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad beer.
It’s a decent macro Pilsner that I could drink any day.

I don’t want to pay extra for it just to be served in a special glass.

I love their story, but I find the IPA's from Dogfish Head (30,60,90) to be way too sweet with the crystal malts. I keep trying, because I like a good story, but naw, way too sweet.

Westvleteren. It's as good as any other trappist beer but since the supply is very limited and it's not supposed to be available commercially most of it ends up being sold openly as a black market item at a ridicoulos price. I'm currently staying in Brussels and this is the one beer I'm definitely not having, ever. This beer is basically the Bitcoin of Trappist beer...
True that. I personally don't think it tops St. Bernardus ABT12. But it is excellent, don't get me wrong.

My contribution to this thread would be Pseudo Sue and anything from Toppling Goliath. THAT is a prime example of the hype machine at work. I don't think they know how to make a clear beer. Even their Dorothy's lager is hazy.

Most overrated and hyped beer I’ve had is Sam Adams Utopia - had it a few times and I remember dumping my sample the second time - just didn’t “get” the appeal of that beer.

Three Floyds. They have a whole system set up to manage access to their "limited edition" barrel aged brews. From a marketing standpoint it makes a lot of sense. Artificial scarcity allows them to pump up the prices to outrageous levels, and the elaborate queuing system virtually guarantees every batch will sell out. The beer isn't bad but sheesh, Dark Lord is waay overrated IMO.

Way underrated beer? I've discovered some really good Baltic porters at local Polish grocery stores for $1.50-$3.00/500ml bottle, I'd buy them at twice the price.

Since we homebrew, basically any "craft" beer costing more than $3.00 a glass.

Folks talk about "hop creep". I've actually seen, witnessed, "price creep". By this I mean, craft beers in Alexandria, VA are, for example, $6.50 to $7.00 a glass. While at the same time breweries in Winchester, VA have beers for $3.00 to $4.00 a glass.

Wait a few years... now the breweries in Winchester, VA the beers are $6.00 to > $7.00 per glass.

Really burns me when there is, basically, nothing special about the overpriced beer. As an example, when the beers in Winchester, VA were $3 to $4 a glass I drank the best coconut cream ale. It was delicious.

Now, the same thing? $6 to $6.50 a glass and they put a shot of coconut flavoring into their basic cream ale.

Last edited:
Since we homebrew, basically any "craft" beer costing more than $3.00 a glass.

Folks talk about "hop creep". I've actually seen, witnessed, "price creep". By this I mean, craft beers in Alexandria, VA are, for example, $6.50 to $7.00 a glass. While at the same time breweries in Winchester, VA have beers for $3.00 to $4.00 a glass.

Wait a few years... now the breweries in Winchester, VA the beers are $6.00 to > $7.00 per glass.

Really burns me when there is, basically, nothing special about the overpriced beer. As an example, when the beers in Winchester, VA were $3 to $4 a glass I drank the best coconut cream ale. It was delicious.

Now, the same thing? $6 to $6.50 a glass and they put a shot of coconut flavoring into their basic cream ale.
The hip, trendy places end up limiting their market reach when they do that. If you're into turning a quick buck you'll turn a bigger profit quickly, but your long-term profitability suffers when the hipsters and trendsetters abandon you for the next shiny object.

Places like Vanish, mid way between Alexandria and Winchester outside Leesburg, has a family-friendly country vibe with solid, reasonably priced beers. Further down I-95, Richmond, VA, has a vibrant downtown beer scene. Frederick, MD, to the north has local craft Monocacy Brewing and regional Flying Dog.

Vote with your wallet. $7 for a craft draft isn't price creep. It's willful extortion.

Vanish in Leesburg? New to me. I'll research.

Um... how many times have you driven on 95S towards Richmond? Traffic is a nightmare.

I'll check out Monocacy and Flying Dog as we something travel thru Fredrick when we are traveling to other locations.

Thanks.

Vanish in Leesburg? New to me. I'll research.

Um... how many times have you driven on 95S towards Richmond? Traffic is a nightmare.

I'll check out Monocacy and Flying Dog as we something travel thru Fredrick when we are traveling to other locations.

Thanks.
Yeah, 95S is a nightmare any time day or night, 365/year. Sometimes opens up between Fredericksburg and Richmond, but can turn into a parking lot without reason or warning.

Vanish is north of Leesburg on US 15. Monocacy is a little difficult to find, use Google Maps. Good beer, outside courtyard and indoor tap room, food truck cuisine, co-located with a well stocked LHBS and brew-on-premises facilities. Local musicians on weekends. Several other average small micros in the vicinity.

I've been hankering to find a way to try Utopias. That might not make much sense given the context that I have brewed exactly one barley wine and frankly it was the least impressive beer I ever brewed while requiring the most effort by far. But like New England Patriots fans with their "In Bill We Trust" thing, I've always had an "In Jim I Trust" thing, and I just don't want to believe he'd commit his company to the effort unless at some level he thought it was worth it.

Wth...I may just buy a friggin' bottle to celebrate surviving 2021...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Three Floyds. They have a whole system set up to manage access to their "limited edition" barrel aged brews. From a marketing standpoint it makes a lot of sense. Artificial scarcity allows them to pump up the prices to outrageous levels, and the elaborate queuing system virtually guarantees every batch will sell out. The beer isn't bad but sheesh, Dark Lord is waay overrated IMO.

Way underrated beer? I've discovered some really good Baltic porters at local Polish grocery stores for $1.50-$3.00/500ml bottle, I'd buy them at twice the price.
Good points.

On another note; I love Three Floyds. I'm a hoosier myself, and really take pride in the fact that they make notable beers in my home state. My personal gripe is not about one of their beers being overrated, but definitely mislabeled. You see, they make awesome hop forward beers. Most of their beers are hop forward. That's cool. But why call Brian Boru an Irish Red when it's really just another IPA? Good beer....Not an Irish Red. That really grinds my gears. (Don't be mad at me Three Floyds. You're my heroes. ) ;)

I've been hankering to find a way to try Utopias. That might not make much sense given the context that I have brewed exactly one barley wine and frankly it was the least impressive beer I ever brewed while requiring the most effort by far. But like New England Patriots fans with their "In Bill We Trust" thing, I've always had an "In Jim I Trust" thing, and I just don't want to believe he'd commit his company to the effort unless at some level he thought it was worth it.

Wth...I may just buy a friggin' bottle to celebrate surviving 2021...

Cheers!
That beer is one of my white whales. Just so curious about it.

Good Guinness can only be found in a pub etc. that sells a lot of it.
By that I mean, that at a minimum, several barrels a day are being sold.
So, the Guinness doesn't sit in the pipes. Tiny pubs in Ireland will easily
reach this threshold, because Guinness is so popular across most demographics.
In a bar that sells less Guinness, a good landlord will pour a few fingers of Guinness before pouring a pint, so that the drinker is not getting the Guinness that's been sitting in the pipes.
It must be sold at the right temperature, which means the pipes between
keg location and taps must be as short as possible. Seasoned drinkers seem
to prefer Guinness with condensation on the glass. Guinness that doesn't leave
rings around the glass as its level drops is of lesser quality, for a variety of reasons and should be returned for a fresh pint.
Traditionally Guinness never travelled well, which meant that its geographic reach was limited to Ireland and the UK. This has changed. However, if you get 'a bad pint' more than likely the fault is with the premises.
Back fifty years plus, a bottle of Guinness used to be given to hospital patients in Ireland every day, because of the iron content. This was also the case in parts of the UK. During both world wars Guinness supplied bottled beer to hospitals in the UK
because the whole country was on not much more than starvation rations.
For these and other reasons, Guinness has an iconic status for older drinkers.
However, Guinness' advertising has barely put a foot wrong and it's association with rugby and Gaelic football has steadily built market share with younger drinkers.
IMO if you feel the need for a pint of stout. Not much beats a well poured Guinness.
I would go further. Few other stouts even get close in quality and taste.

The hip, trendy places end up limiting their market reach when they do that. If you're into turning a quick buck you'll turn a bigger profit quickly, but your long-term profitability suffers when the hipsters and trendsetters abandon you for the next shiny object.

Places like Vanish, mid way between Alexandria and Winchester outside Leesburg, has a family-friendly country vibe with solid, reasonably priced beers. Further down I-95, Richmond, VA, has a vibrant downtown beer scene. Frederick, MD, to the north has local craft Monocacy Brewing and regional Flying Dog.

Vote with your wallet. $7 for a craft draft isn't price creep. It's willful extortion.
The days of putting down a twenty and having a few a staying a while seem gone. I don't begrudge a business making a profit, but wonder why I see low alcohol beer at the same prices at high ABV. If I owned a bar or brewpub, personally I'd put at least one beer on that is affordable to the common man without a big salary.
There is one place that in these days of covid, just opened in a corporate parking lot. They stacked two shipping containers on top of one another for some reason. And the tables are those things that held cable. Price for a Yuengling lager is five bucks. Average beer seems 6.50 to 7 bucks.
To sit in a parking lot.

IMO if you feel the need for a pint of stout. Not much beats a well poured Guinness.
I would go further. Few other stouts even get close in quality and taste.
I respectfully disagree. I've never had "authentic" Guinness, only the bottled/canned stuff, but it isn't for me. Too "dry."
Also not to my taste are the Mexicsn imports Pacifico and Sol. Just nothing there, flavor wise

Back