Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never understood the hype about Guinness. I've tried cans, bottles, and draft (granted, only on this side of the pond), so if anyone has had the "real thing" (read: in Ireland), please speak up.
I have, and it's wonderful. A properly pulled pint in a pub in Ireland is a great experience. And it takes a while. :)
Guinness is not an in your face IPA or an outrageous porter; it is a delightful session ale.

I have, and it's wonderful. A properly pulled pint in a pub in Ireland is a great experience. And it takes a while. :)
Guinness is not an in your face IPA or an outrageous porter; it is a delightful session ale.

This. People get the wrong idea about it. It's very sessionable. It's over hyped as being super dark and super rich. It's only red if you hold a light up to it.

Ok, I know were are taking shots at some easy targets but I am ready to take some real heat.

I have never had a Bell's Two Hearted experience that has convinced me it deserves its perennial position at the top of "Best Beer in America" lists.

Don't get me wrong. It is a fine product. It is in my core rotation, but four years at the top of the Zymurgy list? Literally overrated.
Thought it was just me! It's really not bad, but all the hype had my expectations too high; to the point where I always think that I'm ordering from an old keg because not many people around here go in for crafty beer. (Still not convinced this isn't the case. )

Trillium, too. If we are going after craft and you're from MA.
I'll admit that I haven't had them in a while, but I used to work down the street from them when it was just the one place in Seaport. I'd stop in every so often when I got out a few minutes early, and at least then, they absolutely lived up to the hype.
I've been to Canton a few times, and it was still excellent, though I skipped the biggest DIPAs.

as far as the subject at hand, I had Pliny the Elder a couple times here and there, and while an excellent beer, it wasn't the 'angels singing' experience I was expecting. I know it goes off the cliff fast, but these were 1 and 2 weeks old - friends had gone to San Fran and brought it back. There's been a few others that I've had that haven't lived up to the hype. From many different breweries.

I'll admit that I haven't had them in a while, but I used to work down the street from them when it was just the one place in Seaport. I'd stop in every so often when I got out a few minutes early, and at least then, they absolutely lived up to the hype.
I've been to Canton a few times, and it was still excellent, though I skipped the biggest DIPAs.

as far as the subject at hand, I had Pliny the Elder a couple times here and there, and while an excellent beer, it wasn't the 'angels singing' experience I was expecting. I know it goes off the cliff fast, but these were 1 and 2 weeks old - friends had gone to San Fran and brought it back. There's been a few others that I've had that haven't lived up to the hype. From many different breweries.

Just think NEIPA and IPA is overwrought. Trillium is probably great if you love the style(s). But even their pilsner was heavily hopped like they couldn't help it. Had a good stout there though. Irish, I think it was.

I seldom post anymore but this caught my eye. Outside of the Midwest, people may not get this, but Spotted Cow has my vote.
FWIW, in my judgement Bud Light and Blue Moon are pretty great examples of their respective styles.
I thought of that as well. I have a few friends that drive over to Wisconsin (not sold in MN. At least not around here anyway) a couple times a year to stock up on it. They brew a cherry beer that I love though.

We would order Coronas when ordering Mexican food at a restaurant. Seemed to fit the vibe when you squeezed limes in your glass.

I think the lime was originally devised as a way to cover up skunked beer.. Dunno ...

Anyway, one time we had Mexican food at home and no Corona - I don’t buy Corona for home. I did the same “lime in the glass” thing with Coors light. Same difference .... The vibe is in the limes!!

Last edited:
Thought it was just me! It's really not bad, but all the hype had my expectations too high; to the point where I always think that I'm ordering from an old keg because not many people around here go in for crafty beer. (Still not convinced this isn't the case. )

I think the same. I try it in cans, in bottles and whenever I see it on tap with the hope of finding a great fresh example. The only time it has shown promise is when I brewed their clone recipe. I really want to go to the brewery and try it as fresh as possible (plus I really like some of their other beers).

I have 2 categories of over hyped to address:
1. Beers that are only released in a limited area so craft beer enthusiasts (ie us) go crazy trying to get it. I'm looking at you Spotted Cow. I just had one last week and although a good beer, not worth driving to Wisconsin to get it (I live in northern Indiana). Same with Zombie Dust for areas that 3Floyds doesn't distribute. It was a great beer 6 years ago, and still good, but not worth the hype.

2. I think any special release at this point is over hyped. Presale online tickets + long lines + crazy high prices is just too much in today's craft beer environment. It was great when craft beer was just getting popular and a bourbon barrel aged stout was unique, but I can get a 4-pack of Dragon's Milk any day of the week for like $16.

Just think NEIPA and IPA is overwrought. Trillium is probably great if you love the style(s). But even their pilsner was heavily hopped like they couldn't help it. Had a good stout there though. Irish, I think it was.
Agreed that some of the styles were way overhopped for what they were / should be - but that's the route a lot of beer is taking - I Think I saw a DDH English Bitter... (only part joking...)
But there's also a difference between being overhyped and just not caring for the style. There's styles I don't care for that seem to get a lot of attention, and I don't think it's necessarily overwroght, but I skip them anyway when I see it.

Man. I played the "overhyped" beer game for quite a while...

Been to Dark Lord Day. Twice. Will I go back again...probably. But definitely not for the Dark Lord...
Been to Treehouse. Twice. And once waited in that line for at least an hour. This was in the early Charlton days.
Went on a 4 day New England beer trip, just to check out some hype places. Ended up at Treehouse, Trillium, Allagash, Bissell Brothers, Foam Brewers, and a few other places along the way.

Made specific trips for certain beers. Once made a trip to 3 Floyds (I live about 8 hours away), JUST to try to get my hands on some Zombie Dust. Kind of went blindly, just hoping to get some. Gladly, I was successful.

I also did beer trading for a bit. Maybe a year or so. Got to try some awesome beers, but it kind of got exhausting.

Granted, this was during a time when I had 0 craft breweries local to me. I had to drive at least an hour to get craft beer on tap. That has since changed, and I now have some amazing places pretty close to my house.

Lessons learned: Hype beers can be worth it, but a lot are not. That said, I waited in line for beers that I will remember forever. That changed my outlook on beer, and ultimately, changed my outlook on brewing beer. Was there some wasted time. Absolutely. But, it was worth it.

Will I continue to wait in line, or trade for beers? Probably not. But there just wasn't a lot available where I live at the time. So, that's what lead me on my adventures...

Westvleteren. It's as good as any other trappist beer but since the supply is very limited and it's not supposed to be available commercially most of it ends up being sold openly as a black market item at a ridicoulos price. I'm currently staying in Brussels and this is the one beer I'm definitely not having, ever. This beer is basically the Bitcoin of Trappist beer...

Peroni is frequently £5 a pint plus, would rather have a pint of Tennents. Any of the mass market commodity lagers that sell themselves as a "Premium" product basically. They aren't technically bad beers of course though

Also the mass market ales like Doom Bar are rather poor in their current state.

Coors has been the beer I'd least likely to pick out of any selection of other beers. Leaded or unleaded it has no taste to me and reminds me of the softened water at my grandparents house that I never liked to drink or bathe in.

Corona's and Heineken would also be beers I'd least likely choose if I had a choice, but at least they have taste. Sort of what I imagine cow piss to taste like.

That's what is great about beer so many flavors.

I've never had Guinness in the Emerald Isle but but if it's on tap or in the can/bottle I'll definitely have a pint as it's one of my all time favorite beers.

I got my pops to try it out one time. He took one drink looked at me and said that tastes like Sh**!

Everybody has different tastes and that is what is so great.

Westvleteren. It's as good as any other trappist beer but since the supply is very limited and it's not supposed to be available commercially most of it ends up being sold openly as a black market item at a ridicoulos price. I'm currently staying in Brussels and this is the one beer I'm definitely not having, ever. This beer is basically the Bitcoin of Trappist beer...
In my travels to Begium, there was one of the Trappist beers that, if you wanted to sample, required an overnight stay at the Abbey with the Brothers. I can't recall which one, and since Trappist style beers have never scratched my itch I never tried to follow up. IIRC it was one of the more "exclusive" beers that affectionadoes rave about, probably because of its rarity as much as anything more substantive.

Beers I avoid like the plague:
- Anything in a clear or green bottle. Skunk city.
- NEIPA, cloudy, hazy, dank. Beer that looks like a glass of orange juice. Is that not played out yet? If I drink an IPA its a West Coast IPA.
- So called “pastry beers.” Just - why?
- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.
- Anything Belgian. Those beers people describe with words like “it has a horse blanket aroma” or “a barnyard aroma.” Beers with spoilage organisms introduced on purpose. Again, just - why? Brett does not belong in beer. We spend good money on PBW and Star San to keep that stuff out.
- Sour beers. Once more spoilage organisms on purpose and - just - why?

Positives:
- One company that doesn’t get the credit they deserve is Sam Adams. Every beer they make.
- Somebody mentioned Stella. Thats one of the very few beers from Belgium I don’t find disagreeable.
- Guiness is a great beer. Too many people assume that because its so dark it must be strong. Guiness is less than 4% and one of the lowest alcohol beers you are likely to find easily.
- Far as light beers, people drink them for the reduced calories. I buy Miller High Life, very cheap and very good for what it is. I also buy Miller Lite for the fewer calories. My wife likes Michelob Ultra because she does keto and wants the least carbs possible when she wants a beer. 2.6 carbs for Ultra vs 7 carbs in my High Life. Miller Lite gives it a run at 3.2 carbs though. Much as people want to berate these beers, most of us couldn’t brew them at home as well as these are made and none of us could brew them for what we’re buying them for.

Been to Dark Lord Day. Twice. Will I go back again...probably. But definitely not for the Dark Lord...
Been to Treehouse. Twice. And once waited in that line for at least an hour. This was in the early Charlton days.
Went on a 4 day New England beer trip, just to check out some hype places. Ended up at Treehouse, Trillium, Allagash, Bissell Brothers, Foam Brewers, and a few other places along the way.

Lessons learned: Hype beers can be worth it, but a lot are not. That said, I waited in line for beers that I will remember forever. That changed my outlook on beer, and ultimately, changed my outlook on brewing beer. Was there some wasted time. Absolutely. But, it was worth it.

Will I continue to wait in line, or trade for beers? Probably not. But there just wasn't a lot available where I live at the time. So, that's what lead me on my adventures...
Honestly, I find going to those kinds of events are fun, not as much for the beer, (though that is good too) but for the people. Hanging out and talking beer, drinking beer, trading and tasting if that;s your thing. |Before they went to a professional service, I volunteered at several of the BeerAdvocate fests. It was a lot of work, but hanging out and talking was the most fun. On top of which, doing multiple sessions allowed me to try almot everything i would have gotten as a paying attendee, but spread out over that much more time, letting me get home more or less sober.

If you do have a chance to get it legitimately, definitely do so. I got some a ways back when they did import a shipment here to the states, I think it was for a capital project - a roof for the abbey or something. The Westy 12 is a sublime beer, absol;utely worth the search. There are some other Quads that are close - Westmalle, St Bernardus, but none are quite the Westy. And that's why it's gotten that reputation.

That's what is great about beer so many flavors.

Everybody has different tastes and that is what is so great.
:thumb:

- NEIPA, cloudy, hazy, dank. Beer that looks like a glass of orange juice. Is that not played out yet? If I drink an IPA its a West Coast IPA.
- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.
- Anything Belgian. Those beers people describe with words like “it has a horse blanket aroma” or “a barnyard aroma.” Beers with spoilage organisms introduced on purpose. Again, just - why? Brett does not belong in beer. We spend good money on PBW and Star San to keep that stuff out.

Positives:
- One company that doesn’t get the credit they deserve is Sam Adams. Every beer they make.
- Somebody mentioned Stella. Thats one of the very few beers from Belgium I don’t find disagreeable.
- Guiness is a great beer. Too many people assume that because its so dark it must be strong. Guiness is less than 4% and one of the lowest alcohol beers you are likely to find easily.
- Far as light beers, people drink them for the reduced calories. I buy Miller High Life, very cheap and very good for what it is. I also buy Miller Lite for the fewer calories. My wife likes Michelob Ultra because she does keto and wants the least carbs possible when she wants a beer. 2.6 carbs for Ultra vs 7 carbs in my High Life. Miller Lite gives it a run at 3.2 carbs though. Much as people want to berate these beers, most of us couldn’t brew them at home as well as these are made and none of us could brew them for what we’re buying them for.
Gotta' disagree about not being able to brew a decent low-carb beer. I made a very nice ~3 carb (calculated) dry beer two years ago. The process was almost identical to brewing a Blonde ale, except for the inclusion of amyloglucosidase. No special gear or exotic processes.

Yes, the body is very light, but no moreso than Mich Ultra. Just use hops you like to set the taste and aroma. I used quality 2 row and a pinch of light Munich as I remember. Some citusy New World hops or fruity NZ ones could make things interesting. Also, high carbonation rates could make up for light a body.

Astra. There is something like an Astra cult within certain groups of people living in Hamburg.

It is so disgusting. First off-flavours are hitting you directly in the face when drinking it, even served cold, and then on the next day, fusels are hammering against the inside of your head.

So much nope!

There's another cheap one from Hamburg called Holsten Edel. That one actually is a nice beer... But the astra people somehow hate it. It's a hsv vs. FC st. Pauli thing... The two local football (soccer for you murricans) clubs in Hamburg.

- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.

Positives:

Gotta disagree with most of your points but I agree that clear bottles and pumpkin beers are out. Most pastry stouts are also pretty gross, but there are some good ones.

NEIPA is here to stay and it's a very difficult style to get right.

Belgian does not equal Brett

If you think Brett doesn't belong in beers then the whole history of English cask ale is out for you

Sour beers also have a long history and tradition and they are not made with spoilage organisms, but rather as carefully selected microbes that just happen to not be yeast. Now the modern fruited sour is an abomination and I agree with you there!

You had to buy a certain amount a year ago (a case?) and I'm trying to figure out if you still have to.

Yeah, during the shutdown you had to get at least a case (split a couple with my neighbors a couple of times, which worked out great) but now you can order as much or as little as you want! Just popped by the new spot in Deerfield (not open yet, but they were doing order pickups there) and got just two 4-packs. 🍻

Edited: typo

Last edited:
- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.

Positives:
almost all neipas.

Not sure why NEIPA gets a bad wrap? Honestly, it may be due to the crap ones that exist, from people that didn't know the style, and were just trying to replicate it as fast as they could so they could make money. I have had some really bad ones, but its a great style when it is done well. Definitely in my top 3.

If them being "bad" is the only reason, then its almost a cop out. You can have "bad" beers in any style.

Just asking for opinions on people’s most overrated brand of beer.
It can be a craft beer, but I’d like to stick to ones that are pretty well known around the globe.

I’ll start.
For me, I don’t get why people drink Heineken. Every damn time I’ve decided to give it another chance, I regret it. ALWAYS gives me a throbbing headache. Corona is another beer that I would pass by if other Mexican beers are available.
While not a brand... It is easy for me to say All IPAs are overrated. I am not sure how or why anyone would drink them....

- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.

Positives:

I don't get the hate on Macros either. They are easy drinking, cheap, easy to get, crowd pleasing. I will never turn down a Bud Heavy.

And I agree with all your points, minus our ability to brew them better at home. I have had an amazing homebrew American Lager. As good or better than any Macro.

Also also, Guinness is good for you.

Not sure why NEIPA gets a bad wrap? Honestly, it may be due to the crap ones that exist, from people that didn't know the style, and were just trying to replicate it as fast as they could so they could make money. I have had some really bad ones, but its a great style when it is done well. Definitely in my top 3.

If them being "bad" is the only reason, then its almost a cop out. You can have "bad" beers in any style.

Never found a single one I like. I think they lack nuance. I love hops, but I like it to be in a balance with malt and yeast character. I generally don't like most IPAs, but NEIPAs seem to play with malt and yeast the least. It's all the same base beer with different, but almost always American, hops.

And they take over tap lists. Everywhere I go I have to comb to through twenty IPAs hoping I find a saison, lager, brown, stout, etc.

Never found a single one I like. I think they lack nuance. I love hops, but I like it to be in a balance with malt and yeast character. I generally don't like most IPAs, but NEIPAs seem to play with malt and yeast the least. It's all the same base beer with different, but almost always American, hops.

And they take over tap lists. Everywhere I go I have to comb to through twenty IPAs hoping I find a saison, lager, brown, stout, etc.

I just cannot stand neipas. Way too much hop oils. WAY too much. My stomach also does not like that.

Back