Most healthy drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green1181

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and not sure where to put this question but I have been brewing beer/wine/cider for almost a year now. My girlfriend watches her carbs, etc so my question is what kind of of homebrew would have the least carbs(beer,wine,cider,etc)? Also does extra sugar that gets converted to alcohol also increase the carbohydrates?

Dry wine has very few carbs, since there isn't any sugar left in the brew. Sweetened wine of course will have some sugar (carbs), and beer has residual sweetness and carbs. There are plenty of calories in wine from the alcohol (usually at 12-13%), though.

Once sugars are converted into ethanol and co2, the chemical structure has changed so there aren't as many carbs in it.

First, low carb != healthy :D

You would want to minimize the amount of unfermentables in whatever you're brewing. So if it's a beer you would want to use a small grain bill mash low (146°-149°), use a minimum of crystal malts, use a high attenuating yeast, etc. You'll end up with a dry, not-so-sweet watery beer like Amstel light.

I don't know the carb contents of ciders vs wines vs beers, but you could look around on this site and do some comparisons.

You could also considering mashing with rice, or adding rice syrup. It will lighten the body and add more alcohol per calories than 2 row or specialty grains.

carbs are readily converted to body fat, alcohol severely inhibits your body's ability to burn body fat. neither is going to help you lose weight or stay thin.

personally, and this is coming from someone who's had success with weight loss after a lot of failure, i'd say it's preferable to drink the stuff you really like. just a little less of it, and have a water in between drinks. i'd rather have one satisfying beer than two so-so ones.

one other little gem i picked up is that your body converts carbs to energy much more efficiently during and shortly after exercising. i go for a nice long walk, jog or bike ride and then drink a couple guilt free belgian strong ales. four years later i'm still 40 lbs lighter.

I'm with John on this one. Either drink something you like or don't drink at all. Alcohol actually has more calories per weight than carbohydrates do anyway. Secondly, this entire carb fiasco is a joke. Calories are calories no matter where they come from.

knarfks said:
I'm with John on this one. Either drink something you like or don't drink at all. Alcohol actually has more calories per weight than carbohydrates do anyway. Secondly, this entire carb fiasco is a joke. Calories are calories no matter where they come from.

Truer words were never spoke.....but you will never convince some people of that. They think low carb = magic. I used to try to "educate" low-carbing friends, but I've given up....after all the diet that works best for you is the one you like and the one you can stick to, so I don't preach anymore (except right now, apparently ;) )

Brewing Clamper said:
Healthiest drink is probably water.... but that's no fun...

I don't know man, I've gotten pretty messed up on water....or was that bourbon & water? I can't remember :drunk:

beer drinking/making is for me not my wife so i dont let her partake in the activities lol! j.k she doesnt drink beer so that just means more for me!

one of my best friends went from 370 to 230lbs on a low carb diet in about 1 year, I saw him eat everything except carbs, it was amazing.

john from dc said:
carbs are readily converted to body fat, alcohol severely inhibits your body's ability to burn body fat. neither is going to help you lose weight or stay thin.

personally, and this is coming from someone who's had success with weight loss after a lot of failure, i'd say it's preferable to drink the stuff you really like. just a little less of it, and have a water in between drinks. i'd rather have one satisfying beer than two so-so ones.

one other little gem i picked up is that your body converts carbs to energy much more efficiently during and shortly after exercising. i go for a nice long walk, jog or bike ride and then drink a couple guilt free belgian strong ales. four years later i'm still 40 lbs lighter.

Does lifting full carboys count as exercise? :D

Well technically a carbohydrate is a chemical with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, which is exactly what alcohol is C2H5OH... As knarfks said 'Calories are calories no matter where they come from'.

Back