Most Durable Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
I've read though many of the grain mill threads on the forum. I am comparing (as most do) the Schmidling P, the Crankandstein CGM-2D, and the BC 15lb. I will be running many a hundreds of lbs through this and would like the one that will hold up the best.
Even though the Barley Crusher looks smaller, it has a complete squared off housing vs the open end of the C&S.
The Schmidling looks in the pictures like it's made partially of MDF - is this true or is that an optical illusion? If so, it's out.
I guess that I'm leaning towards the BC, or is the C&S going to be more reliable enough to warrant having to build my own hopper, base and shroud?

5 Is Not Enough said:
I've read though many of the grain mill threads on the forum. I am comparing (as most do) the Schmidling P, the Crankandstein CGM-2D, and the BC 15lb. I will be running many a hundreds of lbs through this and would like the one that will hold up the best.
Even though the Barley Crusher looks smaller, it has a complete squared off housing vs the open end of the C&S.
The Schmidling looks in the pictures like it's made partially of MDF - is this true or is that an optical illusion? If so, it's out.
I guess that I'm leaning towards the BC, or is the C&S going to be more reliable enough to warrant having to build my own hopper, base and shroud?
That concerned me about the Schmidling as well, that and the lower priced ones only adjust on one side.

To me the BC was the best buy for the money, but I'm only doing 1 or 2 batches a month, so It'll probably outlast me and get handed down to my kids. YMMV.

I just did some drooling over this

976185-2.jpg

It is pricey, but wow is that thing sweet. :ban:

mashmaster.com

We use an adjustable 3 roller Monster Mill. It is very heavy duty and I anticipate it to last forever. I use it hooked up to a drill right now and really need to get a stand built and motorize it. I really like this grinder. Absolutely no complaints and I truly feel I got my money's worth when I bought it. Great crush every time.

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm3.htm

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

If memory serves, many of the major mills have bulletproof lifetime warranties... And the general consensus seems to be that in general, they're durable enough that for home brewing use they should easily last a lifetime anyway.

Also, for what it's worth, the barley crusher side panels are nothing more than thin sheet metal, they are more of a shield/covering than some kind of real structural support, it's the end plates that are the real structure, just like with the 'open' mills like the monster mills, etc. Personally I love my BC, and I like the design because it keeps the mill above the stand so I don't need to prop the mounting panel higher above the bucket to clear the drive shaft (or modify the bucket for the shaft), but it's still fully enclosed so there's no grain dust flying around.

BC user here.

I'm on my 9th sack of base grain along with all the other specialty grains that go into my recipes.

I'd guess I'm close to 600 pounds since early summer when I got it.

No signs whatsoever of any wear and tear. It's given me no cause for concern regarding it's "staying" power.

Just as a point of reference, my LHBS has a Schmidling as their shop mill. I'm pretty sure it has had literally tons of grain run through it without a problem. Yeah the hopper is MDF. The rest of it appears to be the more or less common aluminum frame and mild steel rollers.

I wouldn't get hung up on the hopper. It's the least important part of the mill. Myself and others just use a 5 gallon water bottle and it works just fine. I went with the 3 roller and CS and wouldn't trade it for anything else under $200.

Barley Crusher also makes some heavier duty mills that may work for you. Need to check the website and give them a call.

Funkenjaeger said:
Also, for what it's worth, the barley crusher side panels are nothing more than thin sheet metal
I hadn't noticed that before, but now that you mention it...
rollers.jpg

Smurfe said:

That's one hell of a deal on a 3 roller! They hit $15 S&H, but $165 shipped is better than the C&S 3E at NB for about $183, and it has wider rollers.
(You know funny thing, I tried searching for "monster mill" and came up with nothing but vendors - somebody should tell that guy to look into SEO ;) )

The Crankandstein looks like it has 2" diameter rollers, or at least bigger than the common 1 1/2", can anybody verify?

raceskier said:
Just as a point of reference, my LHBS has a Schmidling as their shop mill. I'm pretty sure it has had literally tons of grain run through it without a problem. Yeah the hopper is MDF. The rest of it appears to be the more or less common aluminum frame and mild steel rollers.

The guy at Northern Brewer said that is what they use as well. I just ordered a couple of the Schmidling 2 BBA's with gear drives and case hardened rollers for my shop mills.

I use the Crankandstein 3D at home and it rocks too.

MikeFlynn74 said:
I want something that comes with a hopper- So it looks like BC for me
Yeah, that is a nice feature, but I think for me, the 15lb would eventually end up coming off. I need to come up with something like a 50-60lb...
I'm really starting to think more about that 3 roller Monster Mill for $165. That seems like a really good deal. Can anybody comment on the durability, quality, and functionality of this mill?

5 Is Not Enough said:
Yeah, that is a nice feature, but I think for me, the 15lb would eventually end up coming off. I need to come up with something like a 50-60lb...
I'm really starting to think more about that 3 roller Monster Mill for $165. That seems like a really good deal. Can anybody comment on the durability, quality, and functionality of this mill?

I have a MM-3 that I purchased back in December. I bought it to replace the Grain Gobbler I bought from MoreBeer like 7 years ago.

The Monster Mill rocks! The nice thing about the 3 roller mills is that it separates the husk from the endosperm before crushing the endosperm. This means you can set the rollers tighter and get a finer crush without destroying the husks where the tannins are. The husks stay more or less intact and make for a great filter bed. I found that I could tell the difference in the feel of the mash in the tun when mixing in compared to my old 2 roller mill.

I have not had any issues with the mill at all. You will need some DIY skills to build a base and hopper. Here is a pick of the one I built. Yeah, the hopper is huge and would probably hold a 55# bag of malt without a problem.

8384-IMAGE_038.jpg

5 Is Not Enough said:
The lack of pricing on their website leads me to believe that they are out of my price range.

I think they are about $1000 or a little more by now I did check a while back.

There's no reason to go nuts on your hopper. If you're milling 45 pounds, just pour it in in batches. I can't imagine having a huge hopper taking up space just so you can fill it and walk away.

Bobby_M said:
There's no reason to go nuts on your hopper. If you're milling 45 pounds, just pour it in in batches. I can't imagine having a huge hopper taking up space just so you can fill it and walk away.
I'm going to be mounting it on a 44 or so gallon garbage can. It will only add vertical height. Besides who the hell doesn't want a ridiculously excessively gigantic grain mill?:rockin:

Bobby_M said:
There's no reason to go nuts on your hopper.
+1

Hoppers are the most overrated part of a mill. I use a 5 gallon water jug and it is so convenient, I would never even think of building a permanent one. Waste of time and money IMHO.

mr x said:
+1

Hoppers are the most overrated part of a mill. I use a 5 gallon water jug and it is so convenient, I would never even think of building a permanent one. Waste of time and money IMHO.

you just cut the bottom off and made an adapter to fit the top with a hole for the neck?

I didn't even bother cutting the bottom off. I use a large funnel to fill at the neck. That way I can fill up a jug move it around no problem.

I also put a slit in the neck and use a sliding gate so i can adjust my flow. Too easy.

5 Is Not Enough said:
(You know funny thing, I tried searching for "monster mill" and came up with nothing but vendors - somebody should tell that guy to look into SEO ;) )

What is SEO? when I google Monster Mill, I'm on the first page of the search results... the same with Monster Mills .....without paying to sponsor what should I be doing? Not sure what you mean about vendors...as we only have one or two dealers that have bought our mills so far....BUT you should be looking for them soon at Northern Brewer.....:)

Any suggestions to make us easier to find are sincerely appreciated.

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

PS. The 1144 alloy we use is about as hard as the 303 stainless, and experience says that the 303 can do around 15,000lbs of grist before you get some skipping due to wear.

Ouch! Just found out they are in Australia. Shipping is a deal killer. Bummer. Wish they had a US dealer.

Hi I am Frank Hemeter from MashMaster. I agree shipping is a bit of a killer, but at present the fall in the Australian dollar against the US of about 40% means that in effect the mills are 40% cheaper due a change in exchange rate offering exceptional value.

If you're checking out prices on the website don't forget to set the currency to US dollars, add a unit to the cart and click calculate shipping in the top right, this not only gives you shipping rates but it will also remove the 10% Goods and Services Tax on any goods shipped outside the US.

Latest posts

Back