Mosaic single hop apa need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
Thought about doing a Mosaic single hop apa.. had a red rye single Apa this weekend from Sweetwater and wasn't impressed with the red rye..don't think it was a good match..

So your thoughts on my recipie I'm gonna try ..

6.6lbs of cbw golden light
1lb of 20l Carmel crushed

Add 2oz of Mosaic at 60
Add 1oz of Mosaic at 15 or 10 minutes (thoughts please on hops schedule)
Then 1 Oz mosiac at either flame out or dry hopping in primary

I've only got 4oz on hand but can get up to another 4oz from my local supply store.

Gonna use bry-97 American west coast ale yeast....

Thoughts on the hops schedule are greatly appreciated...

I would go:
1 oz 60 min
1 oz 10 min
3 oz flameout
3 oz dryhop

Everyone will have a little bit different ideas that will all get you to the same general place...except the 60 minute addition..2 oz is to much and will lead to a more bitter less smooth beer

Your hop schedule is going to make it way too bitter. Using 2oz @ 60 is going to put you in the 100 IBU range. Unless that's what you want, I'd try something like:

.5oz @ 60
1oz @ 10
1oz @ 0
1.5oz @ dry hop

That comes out to 38.5 IBU assuming you add all the malt extract at the beginning of the boil. If you add half at the beginning and half at the end you will end up with more bitterness

2 thoughts:

1) I would cut the Caramel 20 in half as to let the Mosaic shine
2) A lot of people have experienced the BRY-97 "stripping" some hop flavor/aroma. That said, I typically bump up my late additions 10% to offset this when using BRY-97.

I agree with cutting that C-20 in half. A full pound is a ton. Maybe add 1/2 pound of carapils for some head retention.

If you've only got 4oz on hand but can get another 4 ounces I'd certainly do that.
.5oz at 60min
3.5 ounces at flame out/whirlpool.
4 ounces dry hop for 3 days.

In my experience you can do a good pale ale with 4oz but 8oz really makes it shine and gives it wow factor.

I agree with saltymirv's suggested hop schedule. I shy away from cara/crystal malts with mosaic myself. My favorite mosaic brews have been with 100% 2 row and another with 70% pilsner/30% Maris Otter. There are a lot of good base malts to add some good malt flavors without getting in the way of the mosaic pop.

Recently brewed this. Just tasted it the other day after 7 days of fermentation before dry hopping. Seems to be a good base recipe so figured I would share.

The base batch was:
1 lb munich malt (mashed at 170 for 15 min)
4 lb pilsen light dme at 60
3 lb pilsen light dme at 20
1 oz mosaic at 60
1 oz mosaic at 5
1 oz mosaic at flame out for 15
1 oz mosaic dry hop for 5 days

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

Gonna roll back my 60 min addition to only 1oz..

Im.still tossing up the other additions...plus I agree to roll back my 20l or just leave it out for some carapils...

I'm gonna see what my loxal shop has for crushed grains...they are a wine shop that carries few beer supplies. Otherwise I'll order more grains from aih or midwest ...

I'm thinking I'll be getting at least 2 more Oz of mosiac or more..

Back