Mosaic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently tried a Mosaic IPA from Blue Point Brewing at a beer festival. I really liked it but can't find it in West Michigan so I've decided to try and brew it myself.
If anyone has tried this brew, take a look at my recipe below and let me know if you think it will be close. Actually, all criticism is welcome.

5 gallon yield
Yeast US-05
No starter

.5lb Carapils (4.5%)
7lbs American Pale 2 Row (63.6%)
1.5lbs German Vienna (13.6%)
1lb Wheat DME (9.1%)
1lb Corn Sugar (9.1%)

1oz Centennial @ 60mins
1oz Simcoe @ 15min
.5oz Mosaic @ 5min
.5oz Mosaic Whirlpool
I might dry hop with .5oz Mosaic for 1 week.

Let me know what you think.

um, you've got more centennial and simcoe than you do mosaic... and at 45 IBU and 1.046, Mosaic IPA sounds like an East Coast IPA to me.

;)

my last West Coast IPA was pushing 10 oz of hops for 5G. I'd bump up the hops. At least an ounce of Mosaic for the three additions.

I brewed a Mosaic Pale Ale (A Darker Shade of Pale)
10 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs Crystal 120
.5 lbs Crystal 60
1 oz Mosaic 12.7% 60 min
1 oz Mosaic 30 min
1/2 oz Mosaic 0 min
1/2 oz Dry Hop
US-05

Turned out good.

Yellow rose IPA from lone pint is a SMASH recipe with mosaic. I would definitely do that as it is fantastic.

fwiw, I tried dry hopping with Mosaic - 1 ounce for a five gallon batch of an American Wheat I wanted to perk up a bit differently - and have been singularly unimpressed with the result. First time for any hop I've felt that let down, and I've used a lot of different hops over the years.

I hope it's a better flavor hop than aromatic...

Cheers!

I had the mosaic Session IPA from Bluepoint last weekend, it is a nice "session style" IPA. I Brewed the following, mosaic only IPA a month or 2 ago and It turned out pretty good(a little darker and sweeter than the blue point).

This is for a 3.3 Gallon Batch(as big as I can go currently):

1L Starter /w California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051)

6 lbs 11.7 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
1 lbs 5.5 oz Vienna Malt (Briess)
5.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
5.4 oz Carapils (Briess)

0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.25 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.44 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Dryhop /w 0.77 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.70 %]

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to tweek the hops schedule a bit. Probably reduce the Centennial and Simcoe and add to the Mosaic.

I'll post the results in a few weeks.

Consider adding rye to the recipe. Terrapin has a Rye Mosaic IPA that is fantastic. The spiciness of the rye really compliments the mosaic.

Consider adding rye to the recipe. Terrapin has a Rye Mosaic IPA that is fantastic. The spiciness of the rye really compliments the mosaic.
2nd that. Their rye mosaic is great. On my to do list after I just bought a pound of Mosaic.

How much Rye would you add and what would you take out? I brewed a Rye last year that was terrible so I've been Rye shy lately. Out of 75 gallons last year, that was the only one and first batch I've thrown down the drain.

How much Rye would you add and what would you take out? I brewed a Rye last year that was terrible so I've been Rye shy lately. Out of 75 gallons last year, that was the only one and first batch I've thrown down the drain.

Are you sure the rye was the reason it was so bad? I did a Roggenbier that was 40% rye, and it was awesome. Maybe you just don't like rye. If that's the case, I would skip it. Otherwise, just add anywhere from 5% to 10%. You don't need to take anything out.

Are you sure the rye was the reason it was so bad? I did a Roggenbier that was 40% rye, and it was awesome. Maybe you just don't like rye. If that's the case, I would skip it. Otherwise, just add anywhere from 5% to 10%. You don't need to take anything out.

I definitely like a good Rye. I've had a couple of Rye IPAs that were good.
My attempt was too bitter and very bland. Probably just the recipe.

I definitely like a good Rye. I've had a couple of Rye IPAs that were good.
My attempt was too bitter and very bland. Probably just the recipe.

I'd probably go for 10% then. I think that would give a nice compliment to the hops without being dominating.

Just did one and it's amazing (first time I've used Mosaic)

9# Belgian Pale
2# Dextrin
1# Rolled oats

60min .75 Cent
15min 1.0 Columbus
KO 3.0 Mosaic
DH 1.0 Mosaic in fermenter after about 8 days
DH . 5 Mosaic in keg

OG 1.060
FG 1.014

To me, it''s real west~coasty, but then again I don't have really good taste buds. I like it and that's all that matters!

Here's my final recipe.
I kegged it last week, it tasted pretty good but not as hoppy as I would have liked. We'll see how it is once conditioned.

.5lbs Carapils
7lbs American Pale 2 Row
1.5lbs German Vienna
1lb Whear DME
1lb Dextrose

.7oz Centennial @ 60min
1oz Simcoe @ 15min
1oz Mosaic @ 10MIN
.5oz Mosaic @ Flameout
.5oz Mosaic - 7 day dry hop.

US-05 Yeast

OG = 1.056
FG = 1.010

A data point: I use twice as much Mosaic and it's still not too hoppy.

In fact, this is my hop schedule:
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 45.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 45.0 min @ 140 degrees 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

I've recently fallen in love with mosaic hops. I've done 2 scaled down (3 gal) batches of NB's Hopquila which is an all mosaic brew and just love it. Even though it's classified as a DIPA it's not an "in your face" bitter beer that would normally cause the back of my mouth and tongue to "curl". I did start treating my water for the first time when I did my first Hopquila in order to get my mash pH to 5.4 as my mash eff had been low and Ca++ inline for hoppy brews per Brewersfriend.com adv water chem tool. Both batches have been "buttery" smooth with no astringency like I use to have with my beers and didn't realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why use Wheat DME instead of grain?

I don't have a decent mash ton setup so my efficiencies aren't always the best. I use the DME to help with the ABV.

I sampled the final product this weekend and it came out really nice. At first smell you pick up a lot of grapefruit then a nice citrusy after taste.

Next time I'll up the Mosaic additions.

A data point: I use twice as much Mosaic and it's still not too hoppy.

In fact, this is my hop schedule:
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 45.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 45.0 min @ 140 degrees 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

I'm definitely going to up the hops in the next batch. But before another standard batch I'm going for the Rye IPA below.

11 lb.- 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lb. - Rye Malt (15 L)
1.25 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1/2 lb. - Flaked Wheat
Hop Schedule (48 IBU)
1 oz - Mt. Hood Hops [5.1% AA] (First Wort Hop) 1 oz - Columbus Hops [16.5% AA] (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Mt. Hood Hops (30 min.)
1.5 oz. - Mt. Hood Hops (1 min.)
1 oz. - Columbus Hops (Dry Hopped)
Yeast
Wyeast (1450)

I'm definitely going to up the hops in the next batch. But before another standard batch I'm going for the Rye IPA below.

11 lb.- 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lb. - Rye Malt (15 L)
1.25 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1/2 lb. - Flaked Wheat
Hop Schedule (48 IBU)
1 oz - Mt. Hood Hops [5.1% AA] (First Wort Hop) 1 oz - Columbus Hops [16.5% AA] (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Mt. Hood Hops (30 min.)
1.5 oz. - Mt. Hood Hops (1 min.)
1 oz. - Columbus Hops (Dry Hopped)
Yeast
Wyeast (1450)

Have you ever thought about upping your dry hops to around 3 oz? My tastiest IPAs/Pale Ales have used 2 separate 2oz hop additions, about 3 or 4 days each, one after the other.

I will look around for it. I found it somewhere. I think its just pilsner malt. Mosiac additions 60, 30, 15 flamout and dry hop. But not sure about the amounts. I'll try and find it.

I recently emailed a brewer at Lone Pint for insight into Yellow Rose's hop schedule and he scaled it down to 5 gal for me:
.5 oz @ 60 min
5 oz @ 30 min
1 oz @ 15 min
2 oz dry hop

I recently emailed a brewer at Lone Pint for insight into Yellow Rose's hop schedule and he scaled it down to 5 gal for me:
.5 oz @ 60 min
5 oz @ 30 min
1 oz @ 15 min
2 oz dry hop

That 5 oz at 30 min seems like what it takes in 5 gal.... I have came to realize that under 10 min is more aroma I think. I don't think I have ever seen a 5 oz hop addition at 30 min in a recipe.

That looks about right. I don't remember it being that large of a 30 min dose. But the beer has HUGE flavor from the mosiac. So I definitely wouldn't be surprised. Although that is a TON for a commercial brewery. I used to not put much concern in flavor additions and worried a lot about the aroma additions near the end. This beer changed that for me. There is something to be said for 40-20 minute additions. Really rounds out any hoppy beer.

Calypso Mosaic Pale Ale
10 lbs NorthWest Pale Ale Malt
0.65 lbs Crystal 30

1.0 oz Calypso (16%) 60 min
1.5 oz Mosaic 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss- 10 min
1.0 Mosaic – 0 min

1.5 oz Mosaic Dry Hop 14 days
1056 yeast

This turned out really quite good, but I think I'm going to give that 5 oz 30 minute a try next!

Back