mosaic hops grassy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
I made a 10 gallon batch of IPA recently, and added late hop additions of simcoe, amarillo, mosaic and citra.

I then split the wort into two batches and dry-hopped half with 2oz/2oz amarillo/simco and half with 2oz/2oz citra/mosaic.

I MUCH prefer the amarillo/simcoe batch. I LOVE citra, but the citra/mosaic half has a pretty strong hop character that is grassy or herbal or something. My wife and I don't really like it. Does anyone else have this experience withe mosaic?
It kind of reminds me of grass and strong perfume!!!

I have an all mosaic APA that was dry hopped with 7oz of Mosaic on tap right now. Not grassy at all. Huge passion fruit, and something slightly reminiscent of nelson sauvin hops right at the end.

Maybe I had a bad combination of hops or a less desirable batch or left them in the carboy too long. I'll have to do some more experimentation and taste some other beers made with them.

I recall reading several months back that guys were complaining about the 2014 (or maybe it was 2013) harvest of Amarillo hops being too grassy......at least I think it was Amarillo.

There is no mistaking mosiac. Perfume would probably be a better description than grassy or herbal. It lends a sweetness also in my opinion, kinda like sweet tea or something.

Now that it has been sitting for a few months, it has smoother flavor. The hops are very unique though. I think I just need to back off on the Mosaic in my next blends. 2 oz dry hop for 5 gallons was too much for my taste! maybe 0.5 oz next time and use others to fill out the rest of the dry hops.

Back