American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scalled the IBU's to 38. I am adding a 45 min instead of 60, a 15 and at FO. I wanted a little higher IBU because i find on the homebrew level the IBU's arent as consistent as on the commercial level.

I'd like this for my next brew but when I put it in Beersmith it comes up with 45 IBUs instead of what the OP has as 25 IBUs. Anyone have this too bitter with the hops as listed?

Couple things that I can think of:

1)If you are targeting a specific IBU you'll need to adjust your AA% of the hops you are using. Each batch is going to vary so thats one way to get it in the ball park. You can change the hop AA% on your hops for a specific recipe as needed.

2)The other is Beersmith now does a more accurate calculation of IBU contribution when you are whirlpooling hops. Looking at the date of the original post it looks like this was made before 2.3 update which added this feature. You can see what I'm talking about under your equipment profile. There is a Whirlpool/Steep Hop Utilization area where can make a couple adjustments. One is how long you whirlpool above 185F and if you want to include hop utilization from the whirlpool to also be calculated in the whirlpool. These two can also make a difference. Once you have those set you can then use the Hop IBU's tool to adjust the IBU contribution of each hop if you are still off or just play around with hop timing and amount.

TLDR: Beersmith is more accurate now. You may need to adjust hops to your taste\IBU target.

It just seemed like it was pretty far off. I'll mess around with the hop additions to get it closer to 25

Thanks!

Be careful not to drop the hop quantities too far trying to match some IBU calculations, especially without knowing the details of how they were calculated. I could easily see the difference being just from the flameout addition (whatever formula was used likely assumed it to be 0 IBU for this addition, even though that’s not actually true).

Personally, I’d leave flameout hops the same as the recipe calls for and only try to match the IBUs from the boil hop additions to get 25 IBU from those, if you feel the need to adjust. Also, I think Beersmith now gives additional IBUs to boil hops if there is a whirlpool/steep in the recipe after the boil - it didn’t used to do this.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that your IBUs might be closer to 25-30 if you were to use the same calculations that were used for the OP. Adjust if it still seems too high to you, but be careful not to drop the quantities used for the aroma/flavor additions too much, or you may be disappointed.

Decided to brew a wheat for spring and to play with mosaic, but it did not last that long.
Hard to describe, but tastes like a sweeter passion fruit/guava american hefeweizen that has been a hit with everyone that has tried it. Defiantly more of a hop forward beer (but not bitter hoppy), the wheat comes through but just hints at it.

4lb - Great western 2-row
4lb - Great western wheat malt
1lb - Gambrinus honey malt
-----
Mash : 152* 60 Minutes
-----
.25oz Mosaic @ FWH (60 minute boil)
.75oz Mosaic @15
1oz Mosaic @0 (steep for 10 minutes to let everything settle)
-----
Ferment with S-05 @65* for 2 weeks
Kegged and hit it with 10PSI for another week and started enjoying it. Gets better with time, but it's highly drinkable very quickly.

First time posting a recipe. Apologies if i forgot something.
:EDIT: IBU says 5, which isn't true, that is the SRM, the IBU is 25

Fun recipe, Gotta couple ideas for re-brews!
I went w/ a 2oz Dry hop..
IMG_1213.jpg

I just saw this post..... funny - I just came from the tap filling a pint of this recipe.
It is by far one of the tastiest summer beers I've made. It has a wonderful, sweet fruity flavor that works with hot weather.
One point I would make is to dry it out a little. It will make a more refreshing beer.
I will definitely be brewing this again real soon!
If you're reading through this thread and wonder if you should brew this beer.... uh, yeah. Do it.

I know this has been discussed in this already but just plugged in numbers for hops and I'm close to 50 ibus!! I'm not a hophead but still want to try this beer. Has anyone done this in the actual 25-30 ibu range and still liked it? Was thinking about dropping FWH addition and decreasing 15 min addition to half ounce =~ 30ibu. Thoughts?

I did a FWH 1/4oz - 18 min 3/4oz - 0 min 1oz - Dry 1oz - of an 11.5% Mosaic hop - coming in at 32.1 IBU Tinseth.

I did only 0.6 oz at 15 with 11.3% AA, and 1 oz @ 0 with 10 min. hopstand @ 12.7% AA. First addition said added 12.7 ibu and hopstand added 17.3 ibu = 30 ibu. Am I missing something? Just trying to understand

So it looks like you have 2 batches of hops. One at 11.3% and another at 12.7%.
The original posted recipe doesn't account for zero minute IBU contributions, a somewhat recently updated software capability.
I doubt the toungue can determine the difference between 1 or 2 IBUs.
I like to take the Jamil Zainasheff approach, Brew the recipe First then make any changes to it you might want to.

I did have two different batches of hops.
Ok got it. So technically your beer was in the 45 ibu range if you accounted for the 0 minute additions? How did you like it at that level?
Yea I like that idea but I didn't want a 50 ibu wheat ale.
Thanks for the help by the way!

I'll be brewing this on Friday or Saturday. IBU is 45, which actually my target is 35 or so.
For me, I haven't noticed WP hop IBU calculations to be accurate. I always add 10-15 IBU above my target and that seems to help a lot.

To try to put this IBU discussion to rest, below are the IBU calculations from my brew (which is probably how the IBU in the OP were calculated):

Mosaic @11.3% AA
0.25oz FWH - 9.3 IBU
0.75oz @15min - 15.4 IBU
1oz @ 0min - 0 IBU
Calculated IBU: 24.8

Now, if I use the updated BS calculations to calculate IBU from a 10 minute steep at 50% utilization, I get:

Mosaic @11.3% AA
0.25oz FWH - 9.4 IBU
0.75oz @15min - 18.2 IBU
1oz @ 0min - 7.5 IBU
Calculated IBU: 35.1

Same exact recipe/equipment/volumes in both, but IBUs are 40% higher in the second one due to estimating the impact of a 10 minute hop steep post-boil. Now, if your hops have a lot higher AA%, it may make sense to adjust the FWH and/or 15 minute addition down a bit to account for the difference. However, I wouldn't take anything off the flame-out addition since the primary purpose of that addition is to add aroma/flavor.

That makes sense. Well I left the FO the same, dropped the FWH, and decreased the 15 min to .6 oz. With the mosaic I used this was about 30 ibu. I guess I'll see how it is in a couple weeks. Thanks for the help everyone. Cheers!

I had another pint of this again tonight and it keeps getting sweeter. A very evident tropical fruit flavor. The hops will dissipate. I say brew the recipe as is and make adjustments IF you need to.

Brewed 7/15.. IBU's at 45 but i anticipate actual IBU to be less. FG 1.010. Added DH of 2.5 oz Mosaic on 7/25. Gonna transfer this to keg on Sunday and force carb.

That’s cool, brewed a 3 gal batch on 7/17. Tried keeping IBU @ 27. Few points high on OG and FG 1.008 for a 6% ABV. Dry hopped 1 oz 7/27. Just a few days behind you. We should compare tastes!

Oh well, BUMMER! Not completely carbed. Taste is good, very little IBU. I was hoping for a bit more hop bite. Next time I'll probably shoot for 50 IBU's. I'll need to increase the FWH hops to at least 1 oz. Honey malt adds a nice, gently sweetness. I like the flavor- doesn't have that huge wheat flavor you get from using a wheat yeast. Using US05 makes this for me along with the mosaic hops. Wife likes it so that's a plus.

Carbonation better yesterday.
Overall, I like it. The honey malt is definitely evident. Slight wheat flavor. I would brew this again only to increase the dry hops.

Attachments

• F805D9E2-5DA5-4E31-9FAA-3F9719843F66.JPG
    F805D9E2-5DA5-4E31-9FAA-3F9719843F66.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 105
Put mine under carbonation yesterday after 5days dry hop. Nice honey color, low bitterness. Not sure what contribution Mosaic is bringing to it as I am not familiar with that variety and the beer is green. Overall, I liked it and can’t wait for full carbonation and some conditioning.

I really like this beer. Next time, I will be changing up the hop amts and times. I'll add another oz DH and maybe move the late additions to a WP.

I’ll second all the “this is an awesome beer” comments. I made it for my daughters birthday, and it was a big hit. the only changes I made were moving the FWH addition to 15 mins and dryhopping. IBU’s were about 30. Oh, ya, I changed the name a little to Tropical Honey Wheat. non-home brewers get this better I. think.

Bumping this up. Was planning on brewing a hoppy hef with mosaic tomorrow. As anyone here played around with a hoppy wheat forward beer AND fermented with a hef yeast? I was planning on using Stefon from imperial FWIW

Bumping this up. Was planning on brewing a hoppy hef with mosaic tomorrow. As anyone here played around with a hoppy wheat forward beer AND fermented with a hef yeast? I was planning on using Stefon from imperial FWIW

Look up a recipe for Crack'd Wheat
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/47539/

It's an Amarillo based beer but I would imagine that it would work with Mosaic just make sure you take account of the higher alpha acid value and don't add to much early in the boil. I actually brewed a white IPA with Mosaic one time and turned out very good. I was with a witbier yeast though and had a few other hops, something along the lines of Accumulation from New Belgium.
I have no idea what Stefon is like but also look at how to reduce the banana tones by adjusting the mashing and fermentation schedule. Unless you are into the banana thing. Personally I don't think it mixes well with a hop forward beer.

Last edited:
Look up a recipe for Crack'd Wheat
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/47539/

It's an Amarillo based beer but I would imagine that it would work with Mosaic just make sure you take account of the higher alpha acid value and don't add to much early in the boil. I actually brewed a white IPA with Mosaic one time and turned out very good. I was with a witbier yeast though and had a few other hops, something along the lines of Accumulation from New Belgium.
I have no idea what Stefon is like but also look at how to reduce the banana tones by adjusting the mashing and fermentation schedule. Unless you are into the banana thing. Personally I don't think it mixes well with a hop forward beer.
All good stuff here. Thanks!

Brewed this amount a month ago. Next time I’ll add the bittering hops at 30 mins, as it’s a bit too bitter for my tastes. Otherwise it’s a great brew!

Back