Mosaic Galaxy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Throwing together some ingredients I have laying around:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/484973/mosaic-galaxy-ipa

Mosaic Galaxy IPA
Method: BIAB
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons

10 lbs. Golden Promise
1.5 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs. Honey Malt

1 oz Galaxy @ 60 min.
1 oz Galaxy @ 5 min.
1 oz Galaxy @ 1 min.

2 oz. Mosaic DH for 7 days.

Winner winner! Beautiful recipe inc that touch of honey malt.

Please consider taking that 1 minute addition of Galaxy and wait til flameout, do a whirlpool (with spoon is good) and add those hops, let steep 20 minutes before chilling on down.

Also, Galaxy loves to be first wort hopped. After you mash out you'll be 150F or so....go ahead and add the hops while bringing to a boil. I'd be tempted to back off that bittering addition to .75oz, then add that extra .25 oz to the flameout addition in the end. I assume you want hop aroma and goodness but not overwhelming bitterness.

Of course this is do it your way and I believe it will be a winner no matter what.

Winner winner! Beautiful recipe inc that touch of honey malt.

Please consider taking that 1 minute addition of Galaxy and wait til flameout, do a whirlpool (with spoon is good) and add those hops, let steep 20 minutes before chilling on down.

Also, Galaxy loves to be first wort hopped. After you mash out you'll be 150F or so....go ahead and add the hops while bringing to a boil. I'd be tempted to back off that bittering addition to .75oz, then add that extra .25 oz to the flameout addition in the end. I assume you want hop aroma and goodness but not overwhelming bitterness.

Of course this is do it your way and I believe it will be a winner no matter what.

I've never done a whirlpool before, I may just give that a.....whirl :ban:

Yes, I was going for the hop aroma, but I didn't want anything too bitter. I'm getting this going as soon as I get home from work. I'll post notes today or tomorrow!

I don't own any of that, plus I have the Galaxy hops in hand already. I might have an ounce or 2 of cluster hops though, and possibly some Hallertau, but I don't know which of those is cheaper. ��

Everything is cheaper than Galaxy, except maybe Nelson Sauvin. I'd use the Cluster hops for bittering, each 1 oz boiled for 60 min will prob get you around 25 IBUs depending on your recipe.

Everything is cheaper than Galaxy, except maybe Nelson Sauvin. I'd use the Cluster hops for bittering, each 1 oz boiled for 60 min will prob get you around 25 IBUs depending on your recipe.

Too late :D I thought about it, but just went ahead and used all of the Galaxy hops up. I forgot that I bought some of those hops for a 1 gallon brew experiment I never followed through on...

So I brewed this last night; it's been a long time since I made any beer BIAB style and was remembering my processes as I went. I was off on my gravity by .010, which is a bummer but not the end of the world.

I definitely have to come up with a better way to mash. I'm using the basket that came with a turkey fryer pot to hold my bag of grains, and the diameter is so narrow that 12 lbs. of grain was rather difficult to stir. My brew kettle has a wide diameter, so I'm unable to bungee or fasten the bag by itself to the kettle. Also, there's a temperature probe that sticks into the pot 3" or so which limits my options as well. I could make a custom grain bag (I've seen several threads on here to do just that) or figure something else out.

Back