Mosaic Cluster Fuggle APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra146psu

Reaction score
Long story, inside joke, but want to make a beer named Mosaic Cluster Fuggle Amer Pale Ale. I am adapting a similar recipe of an American Pale Ale that I recently brewed with an abundance of Cascade, Magnum and Williamette. That beer came out perfect to my tastes and wanted to do something similar using these 3 hops. The ingredients are from a LHBS and like to stay away from canned LME as much as possible. Any suggestions / comments appreciated!

Extract w/ Spec Grain
5 gallon batch
60 minute full boil, starting with 6 gallons spring water

Grain:
6 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME

Specialty grain steeped 30 min in 2 gallon water @ 170F
1.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Honey Malt

Hops:
1oz Cluster 45 min
1oz Fuggle 30 min
1oz Mosaic 15 min
1oz Cluster 5 min
1oz Fuggle 5 min
1oz Mosaic 2 min

Whirlfloc tablet 5 min

Yeast: Safale US-05

Possible dry hop half batch in a secondary? TBD afetr tasting the green beer

IBU: 78
ABV: 5.7%
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013

I'm planning a pale ale right now with fuggle and mosaic hops as well.

Your recipe seems to be more of an IPA than just a pale ale. I would either bring the ABV up, or lower the IBUs.

And I would definitely dry hop.

I brewed this and decided to do as my first All Grain. Tweaked the recipe a bit and turned out pretty good. Still waiting for post carbonation tasting, but wort was delicious. This was a test of my 5 gallon drinking cooler mash tun DIY kit i made with a circular 3/4" SS water heater jacket manifold.

5 gallon batch Grain bill:
60 minute boil, starting with 6 gallons spring water

Grain:
10 lbs Briess 2 row
1.5lb Crystal 10L
1.5lb Crystal 20L

Mash 151 for 60 min
Decoction Infused 4 cups boiling runnings at 55min (not really true decoction, but used to bring up mash temps)
Decoction Infused 4 cups boiling runnings at 30min (not really true decoction, but used to bring up mash temps)
4 gal batch sparge strike water @ 165F
~75% Efficiency

Hops:
1oz Cluster pellet 60 min
1oz Cluster pellet 20 min
1oz Fuggle Leaf 5 min
1oz Fuggle pellet 1 min
1oz Mosaic pellet 1 min

5 drops Fermcap-S added pre-boil
Whirlfloc tablet added 10 min

Yeast: Safale US-05
Ferm Temp: 72F (4 deg higher than I wanted, but this is what it was fermented at) for 17 days.

Bottled 6/25 and awaiting carbonation.

Measured:
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8.12%

First use mash tun worked better than I thought and higher efficiency than I expected. I had some DME that I expected to use, but didn't even need :) Next batch will do true decoction step mash now that I know everything works and have better understanding of temps needed.

Back