Morning Group PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this going to be used for? the pid output is a relay contact ouput which is no good to control an ssr. Not sure if there is another way to use it with an ssr correctly as the alarm outputs mention ssr but that useless for pid function.
I dont see a manual duty cycle mode so no good for controlling a boil ... Pids arent the best choice over a hysteresis temp controller for controlling refrigeration so if thats the goal I would look at something like an stc1000

if your looking for a low cost pid to control a heating element, the mypin TD4 SNR or inkbird ITC-106vh units fit the bill nicely. the EZboil is an upgrade from them.

To control Mash temp. Eventually to control a RIMS tube.
Not to consistent so far so I'll probably ditch it.

How are you using it for that? Do you have one with an ssr output? The specs show a mechanical relay for the pid control output? if you using this to control another relay and switch on and off quickly it will just burn up the contacts on the relay in a short amount of time. Thats why solid state relays are used... A mechanical relay contacts will get really hot and either stick closed or burn and no longer make good enough contact to work.

Also, a pid is not the same as a thermostat or hysterisis controller, it needs to be tuned whether manual or autotune to be smart enough to predict when to turn on and off or it will either take forever to reach setpoint of overshoot it and turn on and off even after the setpoint has been reached and beyond. theres a microprossesor which once tuned "anticipates" what needs to be done to control and maintain the temps, when it comes to rims the tuning would be dependent on flow speed and element power for kettle it would depend on mass of liquid. if you change either of these by a lot it could throw off how well it works.

Last edited:
It has 2 relays, one of which is an SSR. Was going to use the SSR to control a larger one for the RIMS.

Once I get the thing calibrated, then I'll have to learn how to program it. Not very consistent in the water bath now. Going to mount it on my keggle/pump/T mount today and see how it maintains the temp.

Probably going to get one of those you recommended on my next order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back