Morgans India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikken

Reaction score
I'm very new and the answers are probably someplace in this forum. I want to get a quick answer incase I need to do something. I followed the kit directions which said we put 4L hot water into my plastic pail(primary). Add the can of their product with 1KG corn sugar. Stirred until dissolved. Added enough cold water to make 23L and got temperature to 24Celcius. They recommend between 22-30. Added yeast and stirred for 30 seconds. They are saying to move to secondary fermenter are the froth dissappears. I've never seen much foam. It's definitely still bubbling but no froth. Is it time to move to the carboy and put the airlock on it? Alos is tehre a good guide to using the Hydrometer? I'm completely lost on that. Thanks for the help.

I had a little bit of a hard time following that post, but you don't want to transfer to the secondary until after fermentation is complete. To be honest, the secondary fermenter is not necessarily even necessary. After about a week in the primary take a reading once a day for 3 days. If the gravity stays constant, you know you're done fermenting and it's safe to transfer. I hope this helps..

I'm having problems figuring out how to use the hydrometer. It appears to be "sinking" the same depth as it did originally just before I had added the yeast. It's been 3 days now.

Did your primary have an airlock? or was it just a closed bucket? If so, I would get it into your secondary soon.

Most folks use a primary with an airlock and no secondary... especially for the very thin kit beers, like the Morgans kit.

Actually looking closer I just got it. Was originally reading 1.04 and now read 1.011. My primary was a bucket with a lid slightly cracked to allow pressure out. So it's time to transfer to the secondary?

I would...

In the future, drill and add an airlock to the lid of your primary. Call the secondary primary #2 and get 2 batches going. Open lids give some chance to nasties getting in, the airlock is safer. I believe the secondary will add nothing to a simple 'kit and a kilo' beer.

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll transfer to carboy in the AM. Have a great evening.

Do NOT transfer it yet, that is way too soon and completely unnecessary. Just close the lid down and leave it for at least another week, then bottle.

Latest posts

Back