Brewing for first time- Some of problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamiru

Reaction score
Hi, Its my first beer and I used roya oak amber ale from morgans, 1kg of LDM and aroma hops.
As sanitizer I used Io - which I got with Fermentor set.
I couldnt find good guide of usage, but I found that 25ppm solution is no rinse. Just need to drain. ITs okey if I submerged whole equipment in tis solution and it is enough if I just simply took off solution from bucket and by shaking it allowed it to came out ? If little left it wont harm the wort?

I used yeast added to brew kit. I did rehydrate it in water about 22*C, mix until dissolve and left covered for 20 min , then added to wort (too about 22-24*C) and I did put it to styrofoam fridge with ice bottles to reach temperature 18-19*C .
After wake up still no signs of fermentation.
But I did put a it of wort with yeast to another container and I dont see any foam , only thin white, prolly yeast layer on the bottom.

Do yeast died? Should I buy another one ? It will take like 3-4 days to yeast come to me it wont harm my beeR? What should I do please help me!

ok I will, but should I buy extra yeast ? OR I can be very sure that IT will start ? in the casE?

Wait. Beer is coming

What he said

If your beer was under 30-35C when you added the yeast you did not harm the yeast and it will make beer. 18-20C is preferred temperature to get yeast to make better tasting beer so it's good you took steps to get your fermenting beer to that temperature. But there is almost no chance you harmed your yeast and need to get new yeast. Check it tomorrow, beer is coming.

Today I checked gravity and it went from OG 1043 to 1020 seems like yeast work .
I drank sample but it was not much good expierence. Tasted like hoppy water mixed with beer and yeast a bit sour.
IS it normal ? Taste will be better in final product ?
And what is this brown ring on bucket wall is everything looks ok ?
AVpzX0c

VLU0mkk

Photo of can with recipe , fermentation temp is 22-30 my is 17-18*C isnt that too low ?
YyapQzp

Best regards!

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

If the gravity has dropped than your yeast are working. I suspect the way it tastes is because it Morgan's and that is just how it tastes.

Brown ring is where the yeast rose to during fermentation.
It may not be finished yet.
Yeast in the final product will settle out over time while in the bottle. The taste is also very different without the yeast in suspension and with carbonation

Cover that up and leave it alone for at least another 4 days. Better would be another 10-20 days. It is going well, the more you mess with it the more likely you will infect it.

At less than 3 days I am not surprised at all that it doesn't taste good. It is not finished.

Thanks for fast answer. I didn't even think that it's done. Just took sample because I worried about yeast :) I will allow it to stay in primary for 4 weeks .
So everything looks okey ? Usually everyone have much foam why then my don't ? And fermenting very weakly ? It's because of weak yeast condition or low temperature?

One more question after reach FG should I change bucket for the bottling and there dissolve sugar ? Or bottling from primary bucket ? But then yeast cake would be mixed .

No need to go 4 weeks. Go about 2 weeks from when fermentation started. Siphon carefully to a bottling bucket mixing priming sugar solution in during the transfer. Then about 3 weeks bottle conditioning at about 70 degrees.

Leave it alone. Don't look. Quit checking on it. It will be fine. Foam varies. It doesn't need 4 weeks but that is fine.

Yes. Dissolve the proper amount of priming sugar into sterilized water. Pour in another sanitized bucket, add your finished beer to the bucket of priming sugar. Bottle from there. Then wait some more.

Waiting and leaving it alone is the hardest part of brewing in the beginning.

The yeast will do it's thing if you let it. You are risking more by checking on it than by leaving it alone.

leave it alone. Don't look. Quit checking on it. It will be fine. Foam varies. It doesn't need 4 weeks but that is fine.

Yes. Dissolve the proper amount of priming sugar into sterilized water. Pour in another sanitized bucket, add your finished beer to the bucket of priming sugar. Bottle from there. Then wait some more.

Waiting and leaving it alone is the hardest part of brewing in the beginning.

The yeast will do it's thing if you let it. You are risking more by checking on it than by leaving it alone.

+1

Ok thanks !
After sterilize water, chilling it overnight in closed pot is ok ? It will be still sterilized ?
And How to measure sugar if my batch had 5 gallons but probably after transfer to bottling bucket it will be less ? Should I fill it with sterilized water or just give less sugar than for 5 gallons ?

Ok thanks !
After sterilize water, chilling it overnight in closed pot is ok ? It will be still sterilized ?
And How to measure sugar if my batch had 5 gallons but probably after transfer to bottling bucket it will be less ? Should I fill it with sterilized water or just give less sugar than for 5 gallons ?

Well, you could simply use Domino Dot sugar cubes...one cube per bottle. Just be sure to buy the box with 198 cubes. This removes the guess-work about plus or minus 5 gallons of beer. Btw, put the cube in bottle right before capping. This is how I do every batch.

Well, you could simply use Domino Dot sugar cubes...one cube per bottle. Just be sure to buy the box with 198 cubes. This removes the guess-work about plus or minus 5 gallons of beer. Btw, put the cube in bottle right before capping. This is how I do every batch.

I live in Japan, dont know If can get this cubes. And have many kind of bottles 500ml , 630, 330

Back