MoreBeer German Magnum Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Just after Christmas, I ordered some German Magnum hops from MoreBeer. When they arrived, I noticed the listed AA at 4.3%, well below what was advertised. I reached out to the company but my email has yet to be answered. I don't have a problem with low AA hops, but I don't want to throw an ounce in a low gravity malty beer and later realize that the listed AA was wrong (overly bitter). Any one else notice this? Is there a misprint on the label?

I'm betting it's a misprint. Magnum hops generally have 10-15% AA.
I suspect yours are actually 14.3%.

Call them up. I once had them send me some hops and it came in well below the advertised AA percentage. They apologized and sent me another 2 ounces for free, so I would have enough to brew the beer with the proper hop rate. They were really good about this and took care of it right away so you should give them a call. Yours is way below the advertised percentage rate though. Maybe it is a misprint, but either way when you call them they will tell you if it is a misprint or not, and they will take care of it I promise.

John

Called them - there was a problem printing on 5 different hop varieties at that time and the beta acids were inadvertently printed. Glad I called!

MorerBeer has always been good with fixing issues. Sending me a free case of 12 oz. bottles because they sent me 22 oz. ones by mistake. Last fall they replaced an extract kit when the OG came in at 1.030 instead of 1.048. They sent me the kit of my choice with no questions asked.

I do recommend calling though. They are super slow to respond to on-line or email requests.

Back