Morebeer FerMonster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Anyone using those are they on par with the Big mouth bubbler? I like that they don't have ridge on the side... Need 1 or 2 more fermenters, already have 5 Big Mouth but like MoreBeer as a store :) Thanks in advance

I have 3 of them and like them well enough, and the price is right. I don't have a BMB for comparison. The 7 gallon actually holds 7.5ish gallons. The plastic is a little thin, but sturdy enough for the purpose.

I have both the plastic BMB and the Fermonster and I only use the Fermonster now. There is a known sealing issue with the plastic BMB. Probably not the biggest deal for primaries, but still a design flaw. The Fermonster has a plastic O-ring on the lid that helps it seal. In terms of thickness, they are probably comparable. Maybe the Fermonster is slightly thicker. I did notice the ridges on the BMB trapped sediment. You won't have that issue with the Fermonster, if that's a big deal for you. The punted bottom on the BMB was better, though. It had more of a dimple to rest your racking cane on. The dimple on the Fermonster's punted bottom is not big enough to rest a racking cane, at least not mine.

I did find that the gallon markers weren't that accurate so I added some markings of my own, but that's a minor quibble. Most gallon markings on brewing stuff seems to be off a little.

I drilled a small second hole on my lid to put an airlock in. I use a thermowell in the large center hole.

I only have 1 Big Mouth but I don't have the trouble many mention about the seal. Mine seals just fine.
It cleans very easy and is pretty sturdy.
Might have to take a look at the Fermonster.

Thx for the feedback guys, don't get me wrong, I have zero problem with my BMB, but I like to try other stuff and Morebeer ( and Ritebrew) are my go to stores, I'll give them a try...

Can anyone tell me what material the fermonster lids are made of? Or what resin identification code (recycling number) is printed on the bottom of the lid, if any? Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what material the fermonster lids are made of? Or what resin identification code (recycling number) is printed on the bottom of the lid, if any? Thanks!

It doesn't say anywhere but I would bet its HDPE like the BMB. Same as a bucket fermenter and very easy to mold.

I would hope it is, but concerned it might be pp or something else since I can't find any information on this. I would think they'd highlight that it's hdpe to alleviate concerns of oxygen permeability... But perhaps not.

The 6 gallon I ordered from HBS just came in today. I'll use it tomorrow. I also have a 3rd BMB coming soon. Initial impression of the fermonster are very good. I also still have one of my Better Bottles. Some initial impressions between the three are:

Fermonster:

Pros:

Smooth sides so cleaning could be easier than the Better Bottle and BMB.
No lid to modify for a good seal.
Same size bungs for the Better Bottles can be used with these fermenters.
Punted bottom seems to be higher than the BB and BMB.
Smaller in height, so probably better choice for smaller ferm chambers.

Cons:

Brew Hauler harness doesn't stay up due to the smooth sides (minor complaint).
Only two volume markings on the carboy at 5 and 6 gallons. Again, minor complaint.
Carboy's mouth is smaller than the BMB, so getting your hand down to the very bottom could be problematic.
About the same width as the Better Bottles, so could be crammed for space compared to the taller BMBs.
No 3 gallon version

Big Mouth Bubbler:

Pros:

Large opening seems to be best for getting to the bottom for adequate cleaning.
Volume markings at every gallon.
Ribbed design seems to keep brew hauler snug in place.
dual ported lid availability.
Slimmer in width for better room in a ferm chamber.

Cons

Taller height may be problematic for smaller ferm chambers
Lids (gasket based and screw on) do not hold a good seal. Requires modding for the OCD brewer.
Requires a smaller bung due to the lid design.
Carboy seems thinner and "flexes" a bit easier than the Fermonster and BB.
Price is a bit on the high end, especially after all the accessories.
Lots of "nooks and crannies" in the BMB with the molded rib and bubble design in the plastic make it a bit harder to clean.
No 3 gallon version (unless you buy the glass version)

Better Bottle:

Pros:

Small neck best for the least amount of head space.
Uses same size bung as Fermonster.
Ribbed design makes it a bit more robust than the BMB, less flexing.
Ribbed design also seems to better suit use of a Brew Hauler harness or similar.
No lid sealing issues since a bung and airlock are all that's used.
Smaller height may be better suited for smaller ferm chambers.

Cons

When fully loaded, picking up the carboy will have some suck back unless you have these in a milk crate* (I don't have this issue with the BMB and the Fermonster is unknown at this time).
No volume markings, unless you know which ribs on the carboy tell you the amounts (1,3,5 I think).
Wider diameter may be problematic for some smaller ferm chambers.
Bung sized opening makes cleaning them a major PITA.

* I had issues with my BBs flexing to where sanitizer would suck back into the wort when picked up. Of course, the easy solution is a solid stopper until you get the carboy to its final destination. I never had this issue with my BMBs, but I use a solid stopper anyways and will do the same on all my fermenters.

Looking forward to seeing how this new fermenter stacks up. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing with it.

I'll stick w/ the always reliable Better Bottles. Easy to clean w/ a good soak in hot water & B-Brite. Rarely ever needed more. Then a wet cloth w/ a dowel works well.
Fortunately I had a good supply while they were down. But, still haven't need any replacements after several years.
BTW- the handles used by some for glass around the neck works very well.

No, in fact they come in 3 gal, 5 gal, & 6 gal sizes. I have all three. Ridges haven't ever created an issue either in racking or cleaning.

No, in fact they come in 3 gal, 5 gal, & 6 gal sizes. I have all three. Ridges haven't ever created an issue either in racking or cleaning.

I know that, but I wasn't clear. I don't find 6 gallons to be large enough for a finished 5 gallon batch. The ridges should cause you trouble. As you rack out of it, as soon as your liquid drops below a ridge, the sediment slides off. The only way around it is to try to shock/tap it off the ridges an hour before you rack so that it all settles.

I have BB (3Gal, 6Gal) as well as BMB (6G) and Fermonster (7G).

BMB and Fermonster have advantage over Better bottles since their openings are so large (can fit a hand in there), adding hops or fruit or oak is so easy!

I like Fermonster over BMB because of the size. 7G size is more like 7.5G, so I can transfer 6G of beer, or even 6.5G of beer, have a lot of krausen, but it never reaches the top.

Sealing is much better designed in Fermonster over BMB as well.

Volume markings are hard to see, but it's not a big deal because it's so easy to calibrate on your own anyways, and then use permanent sharpie to mark it.

To me, it's Fermonster of the win. I do like my 3G Better Bottles though (square, I have 5 of them) because I like to split batches and use different additions, and because they are square they fit nicely in my fermentation chamber.

The marketing department from the Vintage Shop wrote back, stating the lid for the fermonster is made from HDPE. If so, not sure why they don't label it as such.

I picked a couple of these up. I prefer them to the better bottles and traditional glass carboys.

My only complaints, they do feel a little flimsy compared to BB or Glass and the lid can be a PITA to unscrew during/after fermentation.

Has anyone cut holes in one for bulkheads / valves yet? Is it as problematic as better bottles were supposed to be?

I'm interested in this as well. The Fermonsters have a flat spot near the bottom, on the side, specifically for drilling out a spigot hole. My only concern with drilling it out is, what kind of bit to use and at what RPM so I don't maul my Fermonster?

Good thread. After deciding last night that I need another carboy I'm kicking around the idea of just buying a Speidel and calling it a day, but these other options are like half the price...

On the bottom, or on the side wall near the bottom?

Side wall, near the bottom.

Fermonster%20side%20valve_zpsjkruhw2k.jpg

Mine is the 6.5 gallon. I'm assuming all of them are like that.

Good thread. After deciding last night that I need another carboy I'm kicking around the idea of just buying a Speidel and calling it a day, but these other options are like half the price...

I have the 60L Speidel. Love it, but prefer to do longer-ish term aging in PET or stainless. For short fermentations (3~4 weeks for me), Speidel is great, but relatively expensive for what it is (HDPE ... fancy bucket)

Can anyone compare the diameter of the 7 gallon size to a 5 gallon glass carboy? I am trying to figure out if I would be able to fit two in my chest freezer. I can fit two 5 gallon carboys, but not a 5 and a 6.5. By the description on the website, the fermonster is a little wider than the 5 gallon and I am doubting I will be able to fit two but the dimensions could be off a little.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone compare the diameter of the 7 gallon size to a 5 gallon glass carboy? I am trying to figure out if I would be able to fit two in my chest freezer. I can fit two 5 gallon carboys, but not a 5 and a 6.5. By the description on the website, the fermonster is a little wider than the 5 gallon and I am doubting I will be able to fit two but the dimensions could be off a little.

Thanks in advance.

My 5 gallon glass carboy was 10 inches across the fermonster is almost 11.5.:mug:

One thing I don't like about these is there is only one hole in the lid for a stopper not two ports. I use a thermowell and airlock. I don't see any two hole stoppers out there that'd work. I currently use plastic BMB w/ two port lids.

One thing I don't like about these is there is only one hole in the lid for a stopper not two ports. I use a thermowell and airlock. I don't see any two hole stoppers out there that'd work. I currently use plastic BMB w/ two port lids.

Get a #10 solid stopper and drill two holes in it.

if you are thinking of 30L Seidel, I would get Fermonster instead.
Fermonster is >7.5G as well, less expensive and fully transparent. To me, the transparent PTE plastic means it's so much easier to clean and also to see the fermentation process. Some don't care, but to me it's a huge benefit.

Fermonster is >7.5G as well, less expensive and fully transparent. To me, the transparent PTE plastic means it's so much easier to clean and also to see the fermentation process. Some don't care, but to me it's a huge benefit.

Thanks. I like that the fermonster appears taller and not as fat as well, I have greater width constraints than height.

I think they make a solid screw on lid. Maybe you could get one of those and drill the holes you need for that.

EDIT: Yep, right here (link)

Use a step bit to drill these. I think I went up to 1/2" on the 2 holes I put in my lid. One for airlock, one for thermowell. I can check if you want to know the drill bit size. I use #3 stoppers.

Maiden voyage....Just waiting for the temps to drop before I pitch the yeast.

Fermonster%20Full_zpsmqiy4xjm.jpg

Beer is NB's Ace of Spades black IPA. I had Motorhead playing the entire brew session too. :rockin:

One question I don't see answered in this thread - are people using the 6 or 7 gallon fermonster for typical 5 gallon batches? If 6 gallon, do you have to use a blowoff?

One question I don't see answered in this thread - are people using the 6 or 7 gallon fermonster for typical 5 gallon batches? If 6 gallon, do you have to use a blowoff?
I have a 7 which I use for a primary for my 5 gallon batches - no blowoff tube used. I have a 6 I use with a blowoff tube when used as a primary.

I almost ordered a Fermonster recently for these reasons (large size and clear to see fermentation progress). Does anyone know if morebeer is going to make a ported version of these? I called and asked about a month ago, and the person didn't really know.

To me, the Speidel still has these beat in some ways: comes in a ported version (yes, I could drill into a Fermonster, but I'd rather have it done "professionally"), comes with handles attached, can except a carboy cap which has two ports (airlock, thermowell). When you add the cost of the Fermonster and a brewhauler strap, there is not much difference in cost between the two. If they either made a ported Fermonster, or a clear Speidel, it would be great!

Back