MoreBeer.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, make people pay for something they don't want or need. Sound familiar?
C42626D1-91A4-4E4D-9485-9DA55825578C.jpeg

Again under what I was talking about it doesn’t matter. I understand this situation is not morebeers fault, customer didn’t choose to upgrade to the icepack. That being said, If Morebeer made this their standard packaging people can buy their yeast through them or not but in the end, the people who did would not have to worry about hot temperatures in the summer months and Morebeer wouldn’t have to hear from the unhappy customer who forgot to click ship with Icepack or something happened and mistakenly unclicked it. That’s what I’ve been getting at this whole time. So do I agree with the guy who’s upset about his yeast coming in at 72*f (nbd at all btw) and not choosing the icepack option? no not at all. But I’m sure Morebeer gets this often and being in business myself, I understand sometimes its easier to just change packaging methods so you don’t have to deal with the reoccurring issue.

View attachment 638008
Again under what I was talking about it doesn’t matter. I understand this situation is not morebeers fault, customer didn’t choose to upgrade to the icepack. That being said, If Morebeer made this their standard packaging people can buy their yeast through them or not but in the end, the people who did would not have to worry about hot temperatures in the summer months and Morebeer wouldn’t have to hear from the unhappy customer who forgot to click ship with Icepack or something happened and mistakenly unclicked it. That’s what I’ve been getting at this whole time. So do I agree with the guy who’s upset about his yeast coming in at 72*f (nbd at all btw) and not choosing the icepack option? no not at all. But I’m sure Morebeer gets this often and being in business myself, I understand sometimes its easier to just change packaging methods so you don’t have to deal with the reoccurring issue.

There are a some reasons to NOT include ice packs as standard for shipping... Someone living close by might not want to pay more for the yeast because of cross country customers. You don't really need it all year round. The company might lose business since they now have to charge quite a bit more for the same product that an LHBS will charge. I for one do not order liquid yeast online during the summer. Or spring or fall since I live in Florida. And if I had to pay $5 more because of packing methods, I would never buy online.

I would also worry that in an effort to keep yeast that will be in a truck for 4-5 days would FREEZE on the first day in the attempt to keep it cool for that long with ice packs.

There are a some reasons to NOT include ice packs as standard for shipping... Someone living close by might not want to pay more for the yeast because of cross country customers. You don't really need it all year round. The company might lose business since they now have to charge quite a bit more for the same product that an LHBS will charge. I for one do not order liquid yeast online during the summer. Or spring or fall since I live in Florida. And if I had to pay $5 more because of packing methods, I would never buy online.

I would also worry that in an effort to keep yeast that will be in a truck for 4-5 days would FREEZE on the first day in the attempt to keep it cool for that long with ice packs.
I can get behind that.

Of course it matters. MoreBeer doesn't want to lose sales.
I can see that. If it’s a break even sale as stated earlier, as long as your stock doesn’t go bad, without profit margins it doesn’t hurt much if you lose those sales

But What if it actually flips it and increases online yeast sales for them in the summer months because more people will have confidence that the yeast will come in healthy? But again that’s hypothetical

I can see that. If it’s a break even sale as stated earlier, as long as your stock doesn’t go bad, without profit margins it doesn’t hurt much if you lose those sales

But What if it actually flips it and increases online yeast sales for them in the summer months because more people will have confidence that the yeast will come in healthy? But again that’s hypothetical

I would think that they have thought it out and decided that automatically including ice packs and thus a higher price would not be profitable.

Giiven the detailed explanations ive been personally given regarding their practices, i would be shocked that this wasn’t analyzed and modeled on their end.

They’ve decided to let the customer decide. Cant argue with that.

Just in case MoreBeer is monitoring this thread and wants some more business advice . . .

If in fact Imperial stipulates: "the manufacturer's direction has been clear to them not to ship without a coolant pack", then MoreBeer should place this information in their product listing and ship it with coolant packing. Failure to follow manufacturer's instructions is a major source of product failure and customer dissatisfaction in my industry. MoreBeer could offer an "opt out" for a lesser price stating clearly that it is contrary to the manufacturer's recommendation.

This assumes @Tony Spencer is accurate in defining Imperial's policy. I'm not suggesting he is not but it is hearsay.

On a side note I went to the flagship store in Concord, CA yesterday and had a great experience. They have Viking 2 row pale malt for $25/sack.

Feel like I should update my post from earlier this summer: my last two orders have arrived as quickly as they had before: 3 and 2 days, respectively. Morebeer also offered my friend a $10 voucher for the second delay we inquired about. Looks like it was indeed a temporary blip in processing time.

I've been ordering steadily from morebeer the past 4 years and been happy with them overall. Everything I get is always well-packaged, in good shape, and precisely what I ordered.

My last two experiences have been disappointing, though. The delivery experience used to be like clockwork: the order would process same day or the next, so I'd get my package in 2-3 days (I'm in the one-day shipping zone). Last month, my order didn't process for 4 days and took another 3 to arrive. My buddy & I had to cancel a planned brew day because the package hadn't arrived.

We just had to cancel another brew day because, again, our order hasn't processed as anticipated. We've definitely passed the time estimates they indicate.

I plan to contact them to see if their processing/shipping times have changed. If per policy it's going to take longer for their shipping, that's fine by me. It's just disappointing that we can no longer rely on the processing/shipping estimates they have posted and long followed.

Just in case MoreBeer is monitoring this thread and wants some more business advice . . .

If in fact Imperial stipulates: "the manufacturer's direction has been clear to them not to ship without a coolant pack", then MoreBeer should place this information in their product listing and ship it with coolant packing. Failure to follow manufacturer's instructions is a major source of product failure and customer dissatisfaction in my industry. MoreBeer could offer an "opt out" for a lesser price stating clearly that it is contrary to the manufacturer's recommendation.

This assumes @Tony Spencer is accurate in defining Imperial's policy. I'm not suggesting he is not but it is hearsay.

On a side note I went to the flagship store in Concord, CA yesterday and had a great experience. They have Viking 2 row pale malt for $25/sack.
I was able to drive through the other day, too... saw thoose $25 sacks... what a deal! I ended up with the Rahr tho... although I almost got the Admiral Maltings, but they were older (and $85/sack! lol).

I will say this- I was bummed with their selection of yeast... it was not as fresh as I would have liked. But their service is awesome. I have a small LHBS very close to me with super fresh yeast... so back to them I will go next time.

all this talk about liquid yeast, i really wish bread yeast would flocculate. because i can buy 2 lb's for 15$.....don't know why the price went up so much on ale yeast....

@bracconiere, recently I read somewhere where you posted the benefit of having an inventory of yeast. I may have misunderstood your post. Do you have a variety of different yeast in your inventory that either you overbuilt from starters or have harvested?

@bracconiere, recently I read somewhere where you posted the benefit of having an inventory of yeast. I may have misunderstood your post. Do you have a variety of different yeast in your inventory that either you overbuilt from starters or have harvested?

oh damn, quite the opposite. i just repitch yeast, indefinitely, hoping to make kviek someday! lol, but i've heard glycerine, and test tubes in the freezer works for other people...

all this talk about liquid yeast, i really wish bread yeast would flocculate. because i can buy 2 lb's for 15$.....don't know why the price went up so much on ale yeast....

I hear those who are otherwise indisposed (aka incarcerated) use mold from bread... and if you search here, a few fellows have indeed used bread yeast as well. In fact, there is a great thread of someone brewing in a foreign land using whatever he can...
I guess my point is- yeah, at Costco you can get a Red Star Yeast 5# brick for under $5.... Now, someday I want to bake bread with beer yeast... perhaps when my emergency dry yeast runs close to expiration date?

oh damn, quite the opposite. i just repitch yeast, indefinitely, hoping to make kviek someday! lol, but i've heard glycerine, and test tubes in the freezer works for other people...

Damn. I thought I found a library of strains in my area.

I have been reading about yeast slants for awhile. Now with my new glycol chiller, I do not need all those frozen bottles of water in my freezer. Yeast slanting may fill the void....or why bother. It may be more productive focusing on producing more beer and just buy the yeast I need for the style of beer I'm making.

i was brought here by two quotes....but my vision is blurry so it'll have to wait till the morning....but for now, i wish i could buy a 5# block of ale yeast that floculated at costco, and i got some young kviek i could share if you're in the extrema SW...but i've been using it for apple juice recently....lol

well, i just weighed a couple bags that i ordered of malt....they weighed 1.5oz's more then labeled weight, i'd assume for the bag....looks good.

hmmm, just gave me an idea. people complain about their crush a lot. i might order my next batch of malt pre-crushed to spare me using my motorized mill, just to see what OG i get, :D (report back then!)

well, i just weighed a couple bags that i ordered of malt....they weighed 1.5oz's more then labeled weight, i'd assume for the bag....looks good.

hmmm, just gave me an idea. people complain about their crush a lot. i might order my next batch of malt pre-crushed to spare me using my motorized mill, just to see what OG i get, :D (report back then!)
If you have you’re own mill down do it to yourself. I got a very poor crush last order and people’s gave me grief for complaining. (Sent an email with pictures and the Morebeer guy I dealt with was stunned to how bad it was and refunded my price of grain) I made a beer with it anyway because of the people saying I got what I payed for and I got 53% efficiency

If you have you’re own mill down do it to yourself. I got a very poor crush last order and people’s gave me grief for complaining. (Sent an email with pictures and the Morebeer guy I dealt with was stunned to how bad it was and refunded my price of grain) I made a beer with it anyway because of the people saying I got what I payed for and I got 53% efficiency

sounds like a chalenge! (and that's what table sugar is for! just the like the pioneers! :D)

edit: but thanks for the tip, i'll make it a stout, just in case i do need to....

This thread has not been posted in for a while, so here you go

I've used MoreBeer since back when they were beer beer and morebeer, even used their coffee site to buy whole beans a few times.

Back in the late 2000's I had pretty much stopped using them as they just had inventory issues, items would show in stock but be out and it became a crap shoot on what parts of your order you might get. So I used other on line sources and fortunately a LHBS eventually opened near me so I was all set.

Recently, due to a relocation and again no LHBS, I gave them a chance. My first order went fine, got my stuff quickly and correctly, happy days! My next order with them has not gone as smooth, here is my recap.

6/30 Ordered/Invoiced ... confirmation email says I will have my items by 7/13

7/6 Charged in full (via PayPal and then onto my credit card)

7/16 (3 days after the original due date) A note that the brew kit is not in stock (it is according to the website), but they are shipping the rest of the order to prevent delay. What are they going to ship you ask? Well a yeast packet and starter.

7/16 [AM] I immediately respond and say cancel the entire order, I don't need a yeast packet w/o the grain/hops kit

7/17 [AM] Email notification that partial order shipped, even though I said to cancel it. Ah the joy of having a yeast packet ship on a summer Friday ensuring it will sit in the heat of a fedex truck for 1 or 2 additional days.

7/17 [PM] I get another note, hey we found one of the kits in the other warehouse, please confirm with your last 4 digits of your CC and we will get this right out. I confirm.

7/17 [PM] An oh hey note, you paid with PayPal so you will need to reorder the item via the website, but we have made a note to comp the shipping (you know that shipping that was free to begin with). I reply, why am I being charged AGAIN for the kit, you were paid in full on 7/6? My account shows no applied credit on this new invoice. Please just cancel this order and refund my money.

7/20 Sorry for all the confusion, A cancellation email will be sent as soon as the account has been refunded.

7/21 Warm yeast packet arrived, oh my precious.

7/25 I requested an update since it should not be that hard to refund money for items that were never shipped. Even offered again to take it as a account credit or gift card.

7/29 Finally got my refund!

In the time its taken them to do this, I placed an order from another vendor, received the times, brewed and its sitting in the fermentation carboy (with a differed yeast).

Well there you have it, just a recap of my last experience, I found it unsatisfactory but YMMV

I have yet to be dissatisfied with more beer, covid nonsense aside. Prior to covid, great service, fast delivery, never mad. During covid onset, very shaky on delivery time, always met their deadline to ship, just proccessing took fore ever. Now where ever we are in the covid mess, it appears to be back to business as usual,
I am a happy customer.
Eric

MoreBeer kept shipping me partial shipments and then not believing anything was missing. In all cases, I had to ask how x-number of pounds for an order arrived in a box showing much less than ordered. One order was for 5 pounds of PBW. I received a 1 pound container. They wouldn't even respond until I sent a copy of the UPS tag asking them how they shipped 5 pounds in a box labelled for 2 pounds. The same occurred another time with a box of something like 50 pounds and should have been over 80 pounds. There was a third time. There are many other sources for supplies that are much more customer oriented. MoreBeer=LessShipped

Back