MoreBeer.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the biggest fan of Morebeer, though I do buy from them, mostly because they have a facility near me. It looks to me like Brewmaster should be blamed for that crush. I'm pretty sure they packaged it.

Here's how Company Reviews work - you post your review of a company or business based on your personal experience. You don't bash someone else's review. We'll never censor or delete a legitimate review, doesn't matter if its positive or negative. But we will delete non-reviews that only serve to bash another member.

The better approach, if you feel someone's review is off base, is to post your own review.

Do you have a Kitchen- Aid? IF so you can get a mill attachment and order whole as I do, lasts longer and mill it the day before so brew day is not so busy. Just a thought if you brew couple times a month like I do

Do you have a Kitchen- Aid? IF so you can get a mill attachment and order whole as I do, lasts longer and mill it the day before so brew day is not so busy. Just a thought if you brew couple times a month like I do
We do have a kitchen aid so that might work. How long does it take you to mill? Do you have a link for the attachment?

I've had too many issues with MoreBeer orders showing up short. 5 pounds of PBW ordered only to receive a 1 pound container in a shipping box labeled 2 pounds - they didn't even believe me until I sent them a copy of the shipping box label. Then ordered something like 85 pounds of product and received something like 57 pounds - that took two more shipments to get everything and included communicating with Olin (one of the head honchos). I'm very leery. I will only open a box from them if I video tape the unboxing, and can find other places to order from.

I have been ordering from MoreBeer since 2012 and never have had a problem with any order. That makes me a big fan of them. Anyone else have a comment on them??????

Yea that looks like their standard crush. I have my own mill but sometimes they only have crushed in stock so I'll order it and I just double crush it. Best solution is to just get your own mill and you'll never have this problem again (I know it's easy to say)

I rarely order from MoreBeer but when I do I usually get what I ordered. I did receive a broken FG hydrometer and a new Torpedo keg with a bent handle once and they made it right quickly.

I can't speak for their crushed grain as I order whole and crush my own. But I've never had a problem with Morebeer. Orders correct, shipped on time, arriving well-packed and intact. I don't brew often enough anymore to justify buying sacks, so I like the 1, 5 and 10lb bags of grain that get free shipping. I get the amount of grain I want, for a lot less than I'd pay at the LHBS.

The orders I have placed with Morebeer have all come in quick and correct. I buy the majority of ingredients locally.though. They have a well stocked self serve grain room so I can make up exactly what I want.
I brew BIAB, so I usually make up a couple of grain bills at my LHBS and mill when my strike water is heating. The store mill was set too coarse to give me good efficiency. Totally worth the investment. If for some reason your brew day gets delayed, your grain doesn't stale.

Really? Was it always like that or did it happen recently?
2014. From their corporate website moreflavor.com. quotes below. Sounds like the also own/merged with Fermentap in 2016.

Fwiw i used to live close to the Concord CA (original) store. The used to ship out of there too. I have always had great success with them, now that i get shipments. Customer service is top notch. These guys started in a shed in 1995. They are serious homebrewers. And getting seriously big too but still have the lhbs feel. Get their catalouge- its a great read. Plus they get kits FROM the brewers themselves- i.e. Pliny from Vinnie, several from Heretic, pizza port, etc... this company has launced a lot of pro brewers!
Stuff is pricey but if you hunt around deals are easy to find.

9/21/2014 MoreFlavor! Announces the purchase of Wholesaler Brewmaster. Brewmaster is a West Coast supplier of beer and winemaking supplies to retail stores, wineries and breweries. The company was started in 1971 and has a long history of sales on the West Coast. The combination of the two companies allows Brewmaster to eventually offer a much wider product selection on a national level.

2014 - We purchase the original wholesaler Brewmaster which first opened in 1971. Brewmaster was our first supplier and we are passionate about the history and brand of this company. Brewmaster is a leader in the distribution of beer and winemaking equipment to retail stores, wineries and breweries on the West Coast.

06/01/2016 Brewmaster and Fermentap have merged into a single wholesale company called Brewmaster. Brewmaster now has the largest selection of beer and winemaking products available for wholesale in the world. The website BrewmasterWholesale.com now displays live inventory in both our East and West coast warehouses.

Since I started this thread, I learned that MoreBeer terminated my account. Seems sad, in that it is their failure to properly ship what was ordered. I guess they didn't like me communicating with the beer community.

I've had a mixed bag.

One order got lost apparently within their warehouse between a Fedex label being generated and it making it on a trailer. They reshipped the next day when it didn't show up and had no tracking data (I'm in the 1-day range.) Then then first order showed up a few days later and they asked me to ship it back with a label they provided--only problem is our only local Fedex dropoff besides a drop box had just closed and the next closest was 25 miles away. They couldn't do a UPS label which is 1 mile and at first said they couldn't do a pickup. We dinked around for a few days before they finally had Fedex pick it up. I wasted more time than the value of the goods which included yeast and hops that couldn't be resold because of the amount of time they went unrefrigerated and a $40 sack of 2-row with a small hole in it.

Just recently ordered an MM3 and a capper from them and it went flawlessly.

My impression is that with the legalization of weed in California, they have people working that are under the influence. I find it really sad that they terminated my account when I was the victim of their ineptitude.

Since I started this thread, I learned that MoreBeer terminated my account. Seems sad, in that it is their failure to properly ship what was ordered. I guess they didn't like me communicating with the beer community.

i went back to look, it says meatwad started this thread? how did they get your name?

A
As in they won't sell to you anymore? It sounds like you've had lots of problems with them and have had to fight with them to get to satisfaction (from your point of view). It could be they decided it wasn't worth selling to you. Other companies do that - Amazon, for example.

My impression is that with the legalization of weed in California, they have people working that are under the influence. I find it really sad that they terminated my account when I was the victim of their ineptitude.
I live in Cali. All my life. Weed is indeed legal now. It has been "legal" for like 10 years (all you needed was a card). Beofre that it was available all over.
I don't think weed has anything to do with this.
Stoners are stoners.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Sometimes it gets the boot. I've even seen business training seminars where they will teach business owners to "fire" customers that are too much trouble. "The customer is always right" no longer applies today. It's a dynamic market--from both sides. Customers can do the same thing, "fire" a vendor and take their $$$ elsewhere. What's good for the goose...

I'll try to work with a vendor to fix things, but after a certain point it's better to just give up and move on to some other vendor. It's not like anyone has a corner on the brew supplies market.

Edit: I don't think legal weed has any bearing on crappy customer service. More likely the 1 or 2% unemployment rate in many areas that forces some businesses to hire anything with a pulse.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Sometimes it gets the boot. I've even seen business training seminars where they will teach business owners to "fire" customers that are too much trouble. "The customer is always right" no longer applies today. It's a dynamic market--from both sides. Customers can do the same thing, "fire" a vendor and take their $$$ elsewhere. What's good for the goose...

I'll try to work with a vendor to fix things, but after a certain point it's better to just give up and move on to some other vendor. It's not like anyone has a corner on the brew supplies market.

Edit: I don't think legal weed has any bearing on crappy customer service. More likely the 1 or 2% unemployment rate in many areas that forces some businesses to hire anything with a pulse.

The customer is always right is an idea that should never have seen the light of day. Do most anything to please the customer, but there is a limit!!!

I guess high unemployment is better so that you get workers "with a pulse"??????

I've been a morebeer customer since at least 1999 when they were beerbeerandmorebeer.com (the domain still forwards) with dozens of orders including 5 during the last year. I relied on them exclusively in the early 2000s when I lived for 5 years where there wasn't a LHBS within 100 miles. I've rarely had a problem with an order and on those occasions they've always fixed it.
</$.02>

I've been ordering steadily from morebeer the past 4 years and been happy with them overall. Everything I get is always well-packaged, in good shape, and precisely what I ordered.

My last two experiences have been disappointing, though. The delivery experience used to be like clockwork: the order would process same day or the next, so I'd get my package in 2-3 days (I'm in the one-day shipping zone). Last month, my order didn't process for 4 days and took another 3 to arrive. My buddy & I had to cancel a planned brew day because the package hadn't arrived.

We just had to cancel another brew day because, again, our order hasn't processed as anticipated. We've definitely passed the time estimates they indicate.

I plan to contact them to see if their processing/shipping times have changed. If per policy it's going to take longer for their shipping, that's fine by me. It's just disappointing that we can no longer rely on the processing/shipping estimates they have posted and long followed.

Last edited:
If you use Imperial Yeast do not purchase it from morebeer. By default they do not ship this liquid yeast in ice to keep it cold. This despite the manufacturer constantly telling them they cannot, must not, ship their product without a refrigerant pack. In their defense (although it's a lame defense) morebeer has a drop down box where you can purchase a refrigerant pack for extra money. I ordered my product on Friday. It arrived at my door at 10AM Monday. I immediately opened the box and found the yeast in an insulated package but the temperature via a Thermapen was 72F. So I called Imperial Yeast and asked. They told me not to use the product and that they've notified morebeer multiple times that they are shipping spoiled yeast and it is not to be done. Morebeer apparently doesn't care. The cool part is I live fairly close to one of Imperial Yeast's labs. The told me to stop on by and they'd set me up with some free replacements for what I purchased. So, word or warning, morebeer seems fine for everything else but don't buy Imperial Yeast from them.

When I order if Summer I order Ice pack, If ordering winter, just the pack it comes in...Hence the reason the drop down OFFER is there. I have had one from another company that came leaking, I called they said they would send a new one, they did, I pitched anyways and all was fine. I find many coddle their yeast and kids a bit much these days. I'm from the past.

Well, I actually spoke directly to Imperial's lab and they very specifically said not to use it. They offered me free replacements and told me if I wanted to I could use the stuff from morebeer to make a starter. Again, the manufacturer's direction has been clear to them not to ship without a coolant pack. The way I figure it is that if a distribution company is going to ignore the quality control standards of the original manufacturer then they are doing everyone a disservice.

It's also best not to order liquid yeast on a Thursday or Friday. The shipment even with an ice pack likely sat in an uncontrolled warehouse or on a truck all Sunday not moving.

Edit: I agree they shouldn't be sending it out without an ice pack. But with the dropdown, it seems they are passing off the cost and responsibility to the customer.

In defense of Morebeer, unless Imperial is selling the yeast to Morebeer at a lower to account for the ice pack it is none of their business whether they do or not. I do believe that Morebeer always had the option of buying the ice pack. The ice packs are not free and there is no reason they should be expected to be shipping with one for free...

The other thing that surprises me is that Imperial would replace with a quoted temperature of 72 degrees. That is not enough to cause any harm at all to the yeast.

If you were going to make a starter with the yeast it would be about that temperature.

@Tony Spencer, I guess I do not understand: 1) it is summer so one would think an ice pack (or two) is needed and 2) MoreBeer offers a couple of ice pack choices for a modest fee. Northern Brewer includes ice packs but the yeast cost is higher.

Here is Northern Brewr's warning:
*NOTE:*During summer months, we include complimentary ice packs will all liquid yeast orders. However, it is difficult to guarantee that the ice packs will stay frozen given transit times and particularly hot temperatures. For this reason, we recommend ordering dry yeast during summer months.

Well, I actually spoke directly to Imperial's lab and they very specifically said not to use it. They offered me free replacements and told me if I wanted to I could use the stuff from morebeer to make a starter. Again, the manufacturer's direction has been clear to them not to ship without a coolant pack. The way I figure it is that if a distribution company is going to ignore the quality control standards of the original manufacturer then they are doing everyone a disservice.

This is why companies are starting to ban customers. Absolutely unrealistic expectations. If they padded the price to cover a few ice packs, you'd be complaining that they force you to buy an ice pack. Yeast sales are a break even endeavor at best.

This is why companies are starting to ban customers. Absolutely unrealistic expectations. If they padded the price to cover a few ice packs, you'd be complaining that they force you to buy an ice pack. Yeast sales are a break even endeavor at best.
I get what you’re saying but at the same time if you’re shipping a perishable good, you would think a company would package as necessary and incorporate that cost into the price. I mean that is business as usual. If your packing cost goes up your price goes up and then the customer has the choice to make purchase.

On another note, if my yeast came in at 72 i wouldn’t think anything of it. Most of the imperial yeast are ester forward and I’ll ferment them with a lower pitch at 74 or better depending on the strain. So I would have not been concerned. The date is what would concern me more

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying but at the same time if you’re shipping a perishable good, you would think a company would package as necessary and incorporate that cost into the price. I mean that is business as usual. If your packing cost goes up your price goes up and then the customer has the choice to make purchase....

I got an idea, how about if the consumer decided if they needed an ice pack or two and then paid for the modest fee? The consumer knows where it is being shipped from, correct? The consumer knows where their address is, correct? I would imagine it would not take much of a Google search to see the weather....

Come on, really?

I got an idea, how about if the consumer decided if they needed an ice pack or two and then paid for the modest fee? The consumer knows where it is being shipped from, correct? The consumer knows where their address is, correct? I would imagine it would not take much of a Google search to see the weather....

Come on, really?
Give no decision is what I’m getting at. Then include the modest price in your cost. I’m in a family nursery business and we specifically use peat or coco core in our growing mediums and include mycorrhizal to promote healthy root growth and to defend against root disease. This is an extra cost to us but we don’t eat it. We factor it into the cost and it prevents against user error on the customer side if they over water or natue like a blithe. Now we don’t have to hear customer things outside of our control. Again everything I just explained is business as usual and most do these things for quality insurance. Only helps the business in the end.

My grandfather told me a long time ago, “In business it’s always better to have a customer complain about your prices than your quality”

I don't buy any liquid yeast in the summer unless I can get it at my LHBS.
OK, I'm limiting my brewing choices, but life's to short to worry over a container of yeast going bad.
:bott:

The mods just had to clean this thread because a bunch of people came to MoreBeer's defense after someone posted a negative review. Let people have their opinions.

My experience has been overwhelmingly positive, for dozens of orders over the past few years.

In the rare case when there is a problem, their service is exceptional, like this:

Screenshot_20190729-192601.png

Last edited:
I clicked on a random Imperial listing on MB. Just below the product description I see this:

Please Note: For best results we Always recommend ordering an Ice Pack with your liquid yeast. Ice Packs can be found below in the "You might Also Need" section.

There it is, folks. All MB can do is make a strong recommendation. Four bucks for an insulated shipping package and 2 ice packs. It's up to the buyer to decide if that's worthwhile insurance.

Back