MoreBeer.com - Always garbage shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasully

Reaction score
So just ordered from morebeer.com for the 2nd time.

And for the 2nd time, I'm looking at not getting my stuff on the promised date. It was ordered on the 20th, and it was supposed to arrive today, the 22nd. But fedex says it won't arrive until the 24th.

Is this everybodies experience? Should I just expect this, or are other online vendors better? Other merchants that use fedex seem to be able to deliver on time.

Before the "support your LHBS brigade" gets here, they didn't have what I needed and didn't offer to order it.

So much for doing my planned fermenting stuff on Sunday.

I love them but recently have had a few orders miss the date. However, with free shipping, they obviously put the 'regular' shipping orders go out first. My order from Thursday (2 days ago) is still "in Warehouse, in picking". Wasn't always this way for me but I'm still ok with it.

And for the 2nd time, I'm looking at not getting my stuff on the promised date. It was ordered on the 20th, and it was supposed to arrive today, the 22nd. But fedex says it won't arrive until the 24th.

Is this everybodies experience? Should I just expect this, or are other online vendors better? Other merchants that use fedex seem to be able to deliver on time.

Before the "support your LHBS brigade" gets here, they didn't have what I needed and didn't offer to order it.

Probably more Fedexs fault than MB. I would either order on mondays or fridays from now on. Itd be nice if companies gave the choice of which courier to ship with. Ive had issues with Fedex before- delays like yours,difficulty finding the address or the one (pistol ammo) that went to a completely wrong address. Never a problem with UPS or USPS

I love them but recently have had a few orders miss the date. However, with free shipping, they obviously put the 'regular' shipping orders go out first. My order from Thursday (2 days ago) is still "in Warehouse, in picking". Wasn't always this way for me but I'm still ok with it.

Ditto. Many of my orders arrive a day or two after they are expected to, at least as identified by Morebeer during their checkout process (I placed an order on Monday, it said I should get it on Thursday, and it arrived on Friday). Not a big deal to me ordinarily. This time around I was getting some yeast, and knew I'd be home on Thursday to get it straight in the fridge. I worked all day on Friday, so it sat on the front porch. Unfortunate. But more my fault than Morebeer's.

I can't speak to others, but my delays have not been from Fedex. The free shipping orders tend to spend an extra day or two in "picking" process.

Yeah, if you need it on a certain date, pay for shipping. Otherwise plan for 1-2 days processing.

I've ordered from MoreBeer dozens of times.

I live in PA and always get my Morebeerorder the day after I order it unless it is out of stock in PA and needs to be shipped from CA. I quit ordering from NB because every time I ordered it took a few extra days.

FedEx does not deliver to my area on Saturdays. Morebeer has always been great for me. If I need something before the weekend, I need to order it at the latest on Wednesday morning.

I have called morebeer before just to ask if something ordered Wednesday afternoon would make it for sure and they upgraded to free overnight shipping without me even asking.

I used to prefer FedEx. They would arrive about the same time on any day. The USPS package delivery and UPS were very variable. UPS being anywhere from 5 PM to almost 9 PM. I moved since then and have not ordered enough to find out how consistent they are here.

I few months ago I bought a new grain mill and hopper from them and it was delivered free of charge two days later. I can't complain about that.

Your tracking information should show when it was shipped. Did Fedex get the package on Thursday?

I love MoreBeer, everything i order is usually shipped the same day, and i usually get my stuff in 2-3 days. Never once had an issue with around 15 orders in the last year and a half.

No issues with MB for me. Fed-ex has burned me a few times. UPS and the US Postal Service never give me issues. Weather I order or ship something I just won't use fed-ex. I'll pay the extra few dollars.

I ordered 55#s of 2 row from morebeer a couple weeks ago. It took about 4 or 5 days, but I did order it on a Saturday evening. FedEx picked it up on Monday morning. Delivered it Wednesday. It wasn’t an order that I needed for a specific brew day or anything.... just a good deal and with my LHBS closing I wanted to try the online waters. Since then I checked out another store about 20 minutes away. My old store was about 3 minutes away. I’m just going to buy from the new LHBS as long as they stay open. The next closest store is over an hour and a half away.

I live and brew in the Bay Area of California. On a couple occasions I placed an order to MB on a weekday morning and it was delivered that same evening. No issues with MB for me.

Tucson AZ here. I have ordered from Morebeer twice recently with the free shipping and both times I got my product in 2 days. Boxes are not dinged up and seem to be handled well. I really enjoy More beer and have not had any issues with any of my orders from them. I only wish they would vaccum seal the crushed grains a bit better. But from what I have heard that is not necessarily Morebeer's fault....

+1 on not having too much of an issue with shipping. I have had items arrive a day later than anticipated at times, but it has been few and far between. On their (mobile) website under the description of the product they show if it is in stock at California and / or PA:

IMG_4462.JPG

In the case of this product, since I’m on the east coast, after I hit the “checkout” button it loads delivery estimates and will give me this warning:

IMG_4461.JPG

I’ve missed the warning before (read: ignored what it said and hit ok without realizing the consequences) and got yeast much later than expected when it shipped from Cali.

I think the votes are in. You have a FedEx issue not a More Beer issue. Try other places online too. Maybe you'll have better luck with someone closer but I've never had a MB issue. I've used Norther Brewer (pre-ab inbev), Williams Brewing, Love to Brew, and Brewers Hardware. All have been awesome. The downfall is always shipping and distance. Where do you live? Maybe someone has a suggestion?

Did you pay for/request expedited freight? If so then MB should refund the extra charge you paid. All posted ETA's of delivery are just that Estimated.

I always use UPS, for many reasons, but the bottom line is I find them more reliable and easier to work with. I'm in Chicago, and I order from Farmhouse Brewing Supply (which is in Wisconsin). If I have a shipping question, I just give them a call or email and they've always addressed.

Probably more Fedexs fault than MB. I would either order on mondays or fridays from now on. Itd be nice if companies gave the choice of which courier to ship with. Ive had issues with Fedex before- delays like yours,difficulty finding the address or the one (pistol ammo) that went to a completely wrong address. Never a problem with UPS or USPS

Yeah, when I lived in a national park, USPS didn't deliver. So when stuff gets shipped fedex "smartpost" or whatever it is where USPS does the final delivery-instead it would just get sent back. It was a mess.

I think the votes are in. You have a FedEx issue not a More Beer issue. Try other places online too. Maybe you'll have better luck with someone closer but I've never had a MB issue. I've used Norther Brewer (pre-ab inbev), Williams Brewing, Love to Brew, and Brewers Hardware. All have been awesome. The downfall is always shipping and distance. Where do you live? Maybe someone has a suggestion?

And yet, Amazon always manages to deliver on time. I don't think it's fedex. I've lived much more rural than I do now, and fedex was rock solid reliable. And that was a place sufficiently rural that even USPS doesn't even deliver to. Yet 2 day shipping meant 2 day. I'm in Washington, not Alaska or North Dakota. And more beer's shipping map says 2 day, not 3. I don't remember the last time or vendor I had one package late, much less two from the same vendor. Including ~80 orders from Amazon in the last 6 months.

(barring kickstarter, but that's a different conversation)

I'm glad other people don't have problems.

I can remember when it would take 4-6 weeks to get something, but you had to send your order in the mail and they waited for your check to clear.
Now people complain when it takes 4 days instead of 2.
Maybe its time quit worrying, relax and have a homebrew?
:cask:

Same for me: had always been 2-3 days from order to arrival. Last month it was a week. My friend ordered for us last week, and we're on Day 6 now.

A week is fine with me if that's what it'll take. It's just more a dependability concern. We had to postpone our last two brew days b/c our supplies arrived later than normally.

More Beer might be the only online retailer I’ve regularly dealt with (in any capacity not just home brewing ) that has delivered in advance of the estimated delivery window. It’s happened more than a few times as well.

The only time I remember having a delivery issue was when the northeast (we live in MA) got a massive snowstorm. In that case everyone’s delivery was delayed!

To the OP, it stinks that this happened to you. A 1% chance of a delay happening becomes 100% when it actually does. But I would give them another shot if your comfortable with it.

I can remember when it would take 4-6 weeks to get something, but you had to send your order in the mail and they waited for your check to clear.
Now people complain when it takes 4 days instead of 2.
Maybe its time quit worrying, relax and have a homebrew?
:cask:

I can't rdwhahb, my last batch is somehow oxidized to hell. :( (An excuse for more gear, for a cleaner process? I think so!)

I waited close to 9 months for the luthier to repair my violin, and it didn't bother me. He didn't advertise a 2 day turnaround, even for absolutely routine things that take 30 minutes when he didn't have anything to do but enjoy his coffee.

I planted cider apple trees this spring and don't expect to use the fruit from them for 4 years. I'm not opposed to patience, I'm grumpy when people/companies don't meet the expectations they themselves set.

I feel like this thread has been a resounding defense of morebeer. I'd just like to point out their shipping info. I'd never read it before, but it does back up what my original post was.

I've ordered from morebeer regularly for the past 5 years. Ive come to learn that if I want something for a weekend brew, to order it on Wednesday morning at the latest. Read more beers shipping policy. It spells out how long their processing time will be. It also spells out who they ship with, and what their delivery dates are.

You said yourself that you ordered on the 20th. That was a Thursday. Even if they processed it same day, assuming you submitted before 1pm, FedEx does not deliver on Saturday.

Frankly, this isnt a morebeer or FedEx problem. It's how the system works and is clearly stated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190625-053536_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190625-053536_Samsung Internet.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 45
I've used MoreBeer for about 10 years and the only time deliveries have been delayed has been due to road closures over the Sierras. They do state clearly that if you take advantage of their free shipping it may be a couple of days before the order is processed.

If this is where you're running into problems, you can opt to pay for shipping to get it faster.

I can't rdwhahb, my last batch is somehow oxidized to hell. :( (An excuse for more gear, for a cleaner process? I think so!)

I planted cider apple trees this spring and don't expect to use the fruit from them for 4 years. I'm not opposed to patience, I'm grumpy when people/companies don't meet the expectations they themselves set.

Oxidized? Time to get some kegs, also what cider varieties did you plant?
I've been planting cider apples trees the past few years, just starting to see a few apples.
I checked the More Beer website and orders are PROCESSED in 1-2 business days and shipping time is added to that.
Also, if you sign up for their newsletter you can get $10 off your next order.

I've been using MB since back when they were known as Beer, Beer and More Beer! I have always had great service, delivery and satisfaction from them. I will continue to use them moving forward as well. No complaints from me on them.

Thanks for the photos of the shop, I always wondered what they looked like.

Latest posts

Back