Morebeer 6.5 heated and cooled conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
Mine just came in tonight and I got it put together, and thought I would share some thoughts and photos as I go.

The unit comes in 3 boxes via fed ex and is packaged extremely well. I purchased the leg extension, the casters, and several other options such as co2 for racking and an o2 stone. got the yeast collector as well.

Welds on the stainless look perfect and all tri clover fittings, that part is very nice. The insulation in my opinion needs a lot of work. Its about an 1 in thick black foam that if you dig your finger in hard you can tear. It is not fit well to the conical on the cone part, and worse on the barrel part.

It was so bad on the barrel part, I took it all off, measured it against the barrel and cut almost 3 inches off to make it fit better. It was so high that you could not get the lid clamp on, and was so low it went over 1 inch lower than were the legs start.

It wasnt too hard to cut, but this foam needs a fabric glued to the outside to protect it, something I plan to do on monday when I can get to work.

The conical just sits in the stand on shims, and it seems very difficult to get the barrel of the conical plumb. There is nothing really to use to align it. One of the shims welded to the legs is twice the size of the others and it pushes it out of center in the stand. I would think some sort of ring around the barrel that sits on the stand would have been a much better solution.

There is one chiller and it looks like the heater is some sort of lizard heat wire taped to the cone part.

The holder for the power supply for the cooler is designed for the 14 gallon and two coolers and this of course makes the 6.5 just flop in there. it is so loose I could easily pull the power supply out with 1/4" on both the front and back and many inches on the top.

I wont go into more detail, but all the items that "hang" the temp control, the power supplies, and the blow off bucket, are just kinda screwed on and loose.

For this kind of money I would expect much better connections. the wiring is long and you need to find a way to tie it up.

In short for tonight, I am not totally disappointed, but it feels thrown together at best so far. If I am going to throw something together, i want to save the money, if I pay this amount, i want to have a well thought out system, put together well, where things fit, and don't move.

I am going to clean it, leak test it and try the temp control tomorrow so I will update it as I go.

I dont want to sound too negative, as I dont want to send it back, but being in manufacturing myself, this could have been done much better for not any real cost difference.

Took it all apart and cleaned it in PBW. Filled it with fresh water for leak test and then hooked up all the electronics. Water temp was 69 when I filled it and I set the controller to 50 just to see how its going to react.

When filled its easier to get the fermentor plumb. I have the 15" leg extensions, and the casters, and can tell you without hesitation, make sure you have a bear hug on the fermentor if you plan to roll it around. One hang up of that caster such as in an expansion joint in your garage floor, and over it will go.

Will update it more on the temp activity as I go.

The garage temp was 84 and the water temp was 69 when I turned it on, this morning the garage temp is 75 and the water is only 62. It has been running about 19-20 hour straight with only a 7 degree loss.

I dont think thats normal, but I cant see anything wrong.

Guess I am going to have to call them.

Holy Cow! For that amount of money for that size conical, they should include ingredients and someone to make your first brew for you.

What made you decide on this fermenter?

For that price, you could buy two SS Brewtech 7 gallon chronicals + two FTSS temperature controllers and still have left over to buy two stainless steel brew buckets or a third 7 gallon chronical.

I agree with BillNye, if I had the slightest hickup with that setup for that price, it would have been packed up and shipped back, I wouldn't have modified anything.

I hear you guys....but I "wanted" something I could set and forget that didnt take up a lot of space. The heated and cooled with all tri clover fittings (ability to use butterfly valves, and yeast collectors etc).

I talked to them yesterday on the phone and the guy I talked to had one himself. He agreed there was something amiss and he is talking to his supervisor today and going to call me.

I just dont want more freezers and having to lift the conicals in and out, or even the ones with the temp controll but I have to buy a chiller heater make a tub for coolant, do all the plumbing, I just wanted a little fermetor that sat in a corner and I turned it on and it worked.

I may very well now be going to the 2 conicals with the glycol chiller I saw in another post and figuring out the heating on my own.

Or hopefully them make it work as advertised somehow and all is well.

Heating is easy. Get some silicone 240vac heating pads and run them on 115vac to get ultra low watt density. Just RTV them with high temp RTV to the side of the conical.

I hear ya, but, it seems like your doing more work on getting this to work as advertised then spending the time to put one together.

Heating is easy. Get some silicone 240vac heating pads and run them on 115vac to get ultra low watt density. Just RTV them with high temp RTV to the side of the conical.

Help out the slow new people...RTV?

Looks like I will be returning it. They basically said it will not do what it says on the website, so back it goes. They were however very cordial, and are even paying for the return freight.

Sad however that its misrepresented on the website.

Latest posts

Back