More upcoming VSS yeast info from Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
(Sent to Wyeast as suggestions for VSS,etc. )
My suggestions:

- Fantome’s yeast/bacteria blend

- Westvleteren’s yeast

- Fulltime release of 3711 French Saison( whitelabs has 3 saison strains, you only have one)

- Russian River Blend

- Lost Abbey Blend

Their response:

"You will see a couple of these strains come out beginning in June and will be adding one or two Saison strains to our year round line up by the end of the year. Thanks for the input!"

My guess is the 3711 and Fantome's primary strain( the Biere de Garde strain is supposedly Fantome's despite them not brewing a Biere de Garde :drunk: ) will be out. Hopefully they will 'add' the correct/similar bug blend to make it more like actual Fantome. But he did say 'you'll see a couple...in June' and 'adding one or two saison strains' - so I think that means another bug blend is on the way maybe. :D

brewt00l said:
IIRC per BLAM they send someone over to Westmalle for yeast on a regular basis.

I've heard this, but they seem different to me. I included it anyway just to see if they'd say anything. They don't seem to volunteer to much info on their own, but seem fairly open when you ask them a direct question.

landhoney said:
I've heard this, but they seem different to me.

Stan includes an interesting blurb about the different breweries using that same yeast and how their beers differ. I'll have to grab it when I get home.

I would be sooo happy if they would make 3711 a full time yeast. Russian river Blend would be cool too.

Ryanh1801 said:
Russian river Blend would be cool too.

I doubt they'll get/sell this one, but its certainly the one I'm pulling for. With Vinnie's generosity(ala' chips at the homebrew conference) , you never know.

brewt00l said:
Stan includes an interesting blurb about the different breweries using that same yeast and how their beers differ. I'll have to grab it when I get home.

Pg 185:
Westmalle, Westvleteren and Achel all ferment their beer with Westmalle yeast. Westvleteren and Achel pick up recently cropped yeast on the day they brew.

He then goes on to list pitching and fermentation temps and Westvleteren is the highest of the three w/ pitching @ 68, top temp of 82-84, open fermentation. If you don't have BLAM, it's a great read and highly recommended.

Chad said:
Is BLAM Brew Like a Monk?

I've been eying that one for a while now. Worth getting?

Chad

Yes...I really like it. It's not so much a recipe or how to book but contains a ton of useful information, trivia and conveys the spirit of trappist/abbey brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
theres probably a good chance of them doing 3711 as a year round offering soon. When I emailed them about how much i loved it back in January and they said they were "bringing it back in the summer and probably making it available year round beginning in 2009"

Sounds like lots of other people have been raving about it also! :ban:

Back