Monitor your bottle pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrumpy!

Reaction score
I just joined the forum and see numerous questions regarding carbonation issues when bottling. I faced this issue when I first started and got the idea for a means of monitoring the pressure inside my bottles somewhere on the web but I don't remember where. In any case here are two variations on my pressure monitoring system.

In both methods, I use an empty Perrier bottle, a valve, and a pressure gauge to monitor the carbonation progress of a batch of filled bottles. When bottling, I fill my Perrier test bottle when I am halfway through each batch and label it just like the bottles I am filling. I keep a spreadsheet for my batches and can tell when I am approaching bottle bomb territory for each type of bottle (heavy champagne or light beer bottles). If you are interested, I can send you a copy of this spreadsheet (can't attach spreadsheet to this post by forum rules).

In the first method, I mount a tire stem (lots of places on the web to buy these) in the cap and use a tire gauge to measure the pressure. The tire gauge method tends to leak gas when you measure the pressure so you can never be sure that your next measurements match what is happening in your bottles.

A better method is to use the type of rubber valve used in inflatable sports balls like basketballs and footballs and a stem needle mounted in a pressure gauge. The needle and sports ball valve method also loses a little pressure every time you make a measurement but it is very small compared to the tire stem method. You do need to use care and preferable a little glycerin on the needle so you don't puncture the rubber valve when the pressure gets up past 30 psi.

Be sure to keep the pressure bottle with the bottles so it is kept under the same conditions. So, if you put your bottles in a cold storage area, the pressure bottle should go in with them.

Here are a few photos of how I build my pressure bottles and some tips for their use.

2_types-of-valve.jpg
2-types-of-gauge.jpg

Plastic bottle caps have some molding ridges on their inside surface that should be smoothed off with some sandpaper glued to a dowel which is mounted in a drill.

2-types-of-cap.jpg

I use a nail to put a small hole in the center of the cap then melt a hole to fit the tire stem or sports ball valve. Use a blade or sandpaper to remove the melted plastic around the hole if necessary.

Add some silicone gasket sealer to the stem or valve then force it through the hole. Give it a quarter turn twist to be sure the silicone is spread evenly. Clean off the excess silicone with a cotton swab wetted with paint thinner. I add more silicone to the top side of the cap if I use a sports ball valve so at low pressure the needle can't push the valve into the bottle. Let the silicone cure overnight.

finished-cap.jpg

Use an air compressor or bicycle pump to fill your new test bottles to about 40 psi and put them in the refrigerator. After at least half an hour, remove them from the refrigerator and measure the pressure again. It will be less than 40 psi because the volume of the air in the bottles has decreased with the temperature. This measurement is your base pressure so write it on each bottle with a marker. Leave the bottles overnight and test them the next day. If the pressure has decreased by more than 10%, either you did not tighten the cap enough or your valve installation failed. Write the proven pressure on each bottle with a marker and store it until needed. Discard your failures.

Before you use a test bottle during your bottling operation, squeeze it. If it went soft, throw it away because it leaks. If it seems good, put it in the refrigerator for half and hour and measure the pressure. It should be close (2-4 psi) to the last value written on it. You can't compare the new pressure with the original pressure unless the air in the bottle is at the same temperature so be sure to refrigerate it before your final test.

If your bottle has been pressurized for a week or more and the original and new pressure is more or less the same, this bottle and cap should perform well at least up to the tested value. I recommend using two bottles per batch to make sure they are giving more or less the same pressure. If one lags the other by increasing amounts or flat lines while the other is rising, it has reached its pressure limit and is not reflecting the true pressure in your bottles.

Note that the pressure curve on the spreadsheet starts steep then curves towards a flat line. If you are approaching the failure pressure of the bottle type you used and a projection of the trend will put you into dangerous pressures, put on protective gear particularly eye protection and uncap then recap your bottles. If the first one is a geyser, cool all the bottles in an ice water bath and try again. At the same time relieve the pressure in your test bottle by unscrewing the cap and tightening it back up. What ever you do to your bottles you must do to your test bottle so if you need to cool them when you uncap them be sure to do the same to the test bottle. Make a note on your spreadsheet and keep monitoring until your measurements are stable for at least two weeks. Remember to note the temperature of the place you store your bottles. You can expect the pressure to vary a little bit if the temperature is not constant between measurements.

graph.jpg

Another design -

PET soda bottle with a gauge attached -

15406333810_52d8f46603_z.jpg

Parts from McMaster Carr. 0-60 gauge with 1/8 NPT fitting p/n 3847K71, 1/8 NPT to 10-32 adapter p/n 2684K19. Drill a 3/16" hole in the cap and attach the adapter with a stainless nut.

16301945831_11e8c32311_z.jpg

23617579951_44c6bebdb0_z.jpg

This looks pretty slick as I typically end up sampling every 4-5 days to see how carbonated my bottled batches are. The only question I'd have would the size, geometry and material affect the readings? I suspect the differences would be minimal, but if someone with a materials, engineering or physics background could confirm, I'd start looking at trying this myself.

I would say that this would not be good for long term storage in the plastic bottle. CO2 will eventually diffuse through the plastic walls of the bottle, but for a gauge of carbonation as it is ongoing it looks pretty neat.

I doubt the materials there would affect the readings too much. Stainless is always your friend. But, I would wonder if the assembly is able to be properly disinfected, or if you run the risk of an infection causing over-carbonation in the test bottle?

How long will a plastic Coke bottle stay carbonated if unopened? I only do this when bottle conditioning which typically takes 3 weeks as we know. At 25 psi it's time to put 'em in the fridge.

The PET bottle is 12 oz the same as the beer bottles, and filled at the same time with the same method, so it's pretty much dead on. If all the bottles are in the same environment, they all come out the same.

I dip the cap in StarSan then rinse and dry. The adapter is stainless, and you do need a stainless nut and washer to hold it to the cap. Plated hardware will corrode, at least it did in my cider.

How long will a plastic Coke bottle stay carbonated if unopened?

They have an expiration date on the plastic bottles of soda, and it's there for a reason. The last time I got a bottle of flattish Coke from a food truck it was a month past it's "best by" date. Of course that is also dependent on storage conditions, as the rate of diffusion is highly temperature dependent.

Definitely use all stainless, brass or plated will corrode in the atmosphere above the beer.

Nice test bottle Maylar! I suspect your seal is more reliable than mine. I appreciate your detailed materials list. I will make one or two of these and try them out.

When I first started this I thought it was better to be able to use one gauge on numerous bottles with valves since I have 70 gal in ten batches. I like Perrier bottles because they are really strong and the caps are pretty easy to work with. As to eventual leakage, that could very well be a problem either by imperfect valve assembly or diffusion through the plastic bottle wall. My system is not perfect but seems to work well enough to recognize problems with bottle conditioning (known as secondary fermentation in the champagne world). The taste issue caused by the materials does not concern me since I might not even drink the contents of my 12 oz test bottle.

Another design -

PET soda bottle with a gauge attached -

15406333810_52d8f46603_z.jpg

Parts from McMaster Carr. 0-60 gauge with 1/8 NPT fitting p/n 3847K71, 1/8 NPT to 10-32 adapter p/n 2684K19. Drill a 3/16" hole in the cap and attach the adapter with a stainless nut.

16301945831_11e8c32311_z.jpg

23617579951_44c6bebdb0_z.jpg

This is a pretty cool idea, I ordered up the parts,
do I wait until it reads 25 psi just a little less than 2 atmospheres?
Then pasteurize @ 160 degrees for 10 min, I get a tad bit nerves pasteurizing @ 180 for 10 min

This is a pretty cool idea, I ordered up the parts,
do I wait until it reads 25 psi just a little less than 2 atmospheres?
Then pasteurize @ 160 degrees for 10 min, I get a tad bit nerves pasteurizing @ 180 for 10 min

I don't pasteurize, and I haven't read that whole thread but I think 160 is the current target temp. 25 psi at room temp is about 2 volumes, yes. I use the monitor when carbing after sweetening and 25 is when they go in the fridge.

When targeting bottle carbonating "volumes of CO2", what pressures should be expected in the test bottle with PSI pressure gauge?

For 2.4 volumes, would this be simply 2.4 x 14.7 = 35.3 PSI? Is this how to calculate the target pressure?

What is the definition of a "volume of CO2"? Is one volume = 1 BAR?

And how does temperature affect pressure. What is the PSI for 2.4 volumes in a standard US 12 oz. beer bottle at 80 degrees F? Ditto at 40 degrees F?

"Volumes of CO2" are actually multiples of the beer volume in the vessel.
So, 12 ounces of beer carbed to 2.4 volumes would have absorbed the equivalent of 29 ounces (by volume) of CO2 at STP.

Beer that has reached equilibrium wrt carbonation will exhibit head space pressure affected by temperature.
You can use our favorite carbonation table to find that pressure...

Cheers!

The chart is a great help. If I'm understanding this correctly a pressure gauge equipped bottle should indicate about 11 PSI for 2.4 volumes at 40 degrees F., and about 26 PSI at 65 degrees F.

I wonder what sort of pressure a 100 degree F. hot summer day would generate for 2.4 volumes.

I added a pressure gauge to a PET soda pop bottle cap and I opened a fresh bottle of 2 liter cola and applied my pressure gauge cap to it. It read zero PSI, so I shook the bottle a bit and it promptly jumped to 40 PSI. Now it is 24 hours later, and the gauge is only reading 11 PSI. It has maintained a room temperature 70 degrees F. (+/- 1) throughout the trial. Does it appear that I have a slow leak?

I changed my system to the one Maylar uses and have had great results. I have found that in every case, the pressure has risen as bottle conditioning has proceeded and I am working under the assumption that the pressure in the PET bottle with the gauge is the same as the pressure in my crown capped cider bottles. So far so good.

To test your pressure monitor, you could try adding water then a couple of Alka Seltzers and cap it. This would pretty quickly come to an equilibrium pressure. I would put the bottle in the frige and monitor it for at least a week. The main idea here is to generate pressure by chemical rather than mechanical means then keep the bottle at constant temperature for all of your measurements.

I added a pressure gauge to a PET soda pop bottle cap and I opened a fresh bottle of 2 liter cola and applied my pressure gauge cap to it. It read zero PSI, so I shook the bottle a bit and it promptly jumped to 40 PSI. Now it is 24 hours later, and the gauge is only reading 11 PSI. It has maintained a room temperature 70 degrees F. (+/- 1) throughout the trial. Does it appear that I have a slow leak?

Let me try to parse this.

You opened the bottle which dropped the head pressure to zero. You put a gauge cap on it and it read what it should have--zero.

You shook it up and released a lot of CO2 from solution, resulting in a high reading. At 24 hours later, the gauge read 11psi, which might well have been right. At that point, not having released the pressure as you did at 0 psi, it reads positive pressure. What happened between 40 psi and 11psi is much of that released CO2 was reabsorbed back into solution.

That's my interpretation of what you have.

Let me try to parse this.

You opened the bottle which dropped the head pressure to zero. You put a gauge cap on it and it read what it should have--zero.

You shook it up and released a lot of CO2 from solution, resulting in a high reading. At 24 hours later, the gauge read 11psi, which might well have been right. At that point, not having released the pressure as you did at 0 psi, it reads positive pressure. What happened between 40 psi and 11psi is much of that released CO2 was reabsorbed back into solution.

That's my interpretation of what you have.

A day later and it is holding at 10 PSI. I believe your assessment is correct and there is no leak. Thank you.

I don't pasteurize, and I haven't read that whole thread but I think 160 is the current target temp. 25 psi at room temp is about 2 volumes, yes. I use the monitor when carbing after sweetening and 25 is when they go in the fridge.

Just Bottled the Dark cherry cider last night and used the below pressure setup! Ty for all the good ideas.

Cherry Cider.jpg

Hi Dimax,

Your PET bottle was not built for carbonated beverages (that is a Pom Wonderful bottle right?). It might work fine but then again, you might find the cap leaks or worse, the bottle splits. Not as big a problem as a glass bottle bomb but you might lose your monitor when you need it most. Let us know how it works out.

Hi Dimax,

Your PET bottle was not built for carbonated beverages (that is a Pom Wonderful bottle right?). It might work fine but then again, you might find the cap leaks or worse, the bottle splits. Not as big a problem as a glass bottle bomb but you might lose your monitor when you need it most. Let us know how it works out.

You are correct I'll keep an eye on the pressure, and it won't hurt if I put the pressure tester bottle in a gallon zip lock bag! !

For those of you with pressure gauge equipped bottles, how many days after priming and bottling does it normally take before you see any signs of pressure in the test bottle? Does it take longer for lagers? I'm 3 days in and I'm not seeing anything on the pressure gauge for a lager.

For those of you with pressure gauge equipped bottles, how many days after priming and bottling does it normally take before you see any signs of pressure in the test bottle? Does it take longer for lagers? I'm 3 days in and I'm not seeing anything on the pressure gauge for a lager.

I'm not sure how long it will take, I'v had brews take 2 weeks to carb and i'v had them take as long as 5 to 6 weeks, I followed some very good advice from some good folks on here about inverting the bottles a couple of times, to try to activate the yeast and keeping the temp around 70 degrees and this worked for me.
This is the first time using the pressure Gage, it's been a couple days nothing yet but I'm sure it will start climbing, I back sweetened with a can of FJ and 1/3 cup of honey.

I don't brew beer but my cider can take a week or more to start building pressure. It all depends upon temperature, sugar content, and the starting population size of your yeast. That said, I generally move my bottles into a space that is 65 deg. Sometimes I add yeast if I think there are no survivors at the end of fermentation. If I think there are still viable yeast cells alive, I might give them a little DAP to help them recover. If you don't have at least 8-10 lbs of pressure after ten days, you might have a problem. Notice that pressure gauges don't have much resolution below about 8 psi so you really don't know until you start to see the needle get up above that threshold. At that point, the carbonation will move a few psi per week then start to plateau. Mine reach a peak then flat line after 4-6 weeks or even more.

I'm now 1-1/2 weeks into bottle carbonation, and my new pressure gauge equipped bottle is still reading zero PSI. It held full pressure for one week when I tested it with soda pop, so I don't believe it has a leak. At this juncture it is still soft.

Ciao HairyHop,

Give your tongue a break. IPA carpet bombs your taste buds so hard you probably can't tell the difference between La Pasta di Camerino and Pasta Carbonara after drinking an IPA. Cider will free you from the chains of hop.

How much do they charge for that gauge that I make for US$10?

Silver,

If you haven't had a bump in pressure, either your cap is leaking or your yeast were dead when you bottled. All is not lost. Still cider can be quite good. It might be risky to pour your bottled cider into a sanitized plastic bucket, add champagne yeast, and re-bottle. I wouldn't want to try it myself but if you maintain really good sanitation, it might work.

I think a lot of us assume we have viable yeast when we bottle and give it little thought until it fails. We have heard so many stories of unwanted re-fermentation that we might be giving yeast more survival credit than it deserves.

I just shook my pressure gauge equipped test bottle to see if that would build any pressure in it, and it rapidly shot up to 11 PSI, but then liquid began dribbling out of the region just below the gauge, and the pressure soon fell away. This indicates that my problem is a fault with the test bottle, and not with my lager failing to carbonate.

I seal my pressure gauge mount with Permatex silicon gasket sealer and cure it on top of my furnace for 24 hours. So far not leaky gauges.

If you bought the thread adapter from McMaster, it came with a sealing washer. After deburring the 3/16" hole I rubbed the top of the plastic cap across some fine sandpaper on a glass plate to be sure it was flat before mounting the adapter / washer. No leaks on the 2 that I built.

Back