Molson Export / Stock ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rombo

Reaction score
Prepping for my first brew. It will be an unhopped malt extract. I don't want anything too complex for my first brew.

I'm hoping something along the lines of some of Canada's most popular ales will be easily achievable. So if anyone has one or a mix of molson stock ale, molson export, or labatt 50 it would be greatly appreciated!

And any brewing tips are more than welcome

I would go with light malt extract to ~1.050 (6.6 lbs of LME, or 5.5 lbs of DME), 15 IBUs of the hop of your choice near the start of the boil, ferment on the cool side with a clean ale yeast like US-05. Not sure if that is exact, but it will certainly get you something in the general direction. Not sure if they add adjuncts (corn/rice) to these beers, but you could consider swapping out a pound of the extract for a pound of corn/cane sugar to lighten up the body.

Focus on sanitation, using fresh ingredients, and fermentation temperatures. Hope that helps, good luck.

Good advice, but maybe a bit difficult to formulate for a first brew!

I'm not sure what you can get for supplies in Canada, but I would recommend something like this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_172&products_id=336

A kit like that, from a good homebrew store, comes with all you need and really good instructions. The extract kits are easy, and anybody can do them.

I'm not experienced enough with the beer styles mentioned to make a recipe for one. I haven't had a Molson in years.

Where are you going to get your supplies? Maybe we can help you come up with something.

Yeah awesome advice. I once tried making a BMCish type ale as well, but I added too many Willamette hops and it did not quite taste mild enough. I also did not lighten the body using corn sugar/or similar - which is definately what I would do again when I next try making this style. The us-05 should work ok also, its what I used. One MAJOR thing I noticed about this kind of beer:

Increase your conditioning time ! The beer I made stayed green WAY longer than my other beers, probably because it was using very subtle malt character. Crystal 10L was used in mine, and 2 row I believe. Anyway, I normally find my beers peak after 3 weeks bottle conditioning, this one took 6.

Well i'm going to be ordering equipment from http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartshop/products.php. They don't have a store front but i can pick up locally. They have a few extract kits but don't list much info on them. I'm not sure if there pre-hopped or not, or LME or DME. I'm not opposed to ordering a extract kit online if it will end with better results.

Prepping for my first brew. It will be an unhopped malt extract. I don't want anything too complex for my first brew.

I'm hoping something along the lines of some of Canada's most popular ales will be easily achievable. So if anyone has one or a mix of molson stock ale, molson export, or labatt 50 it would be greatly appreciated!

And any brewing tips are more than welcome
Did you ever figure this out? I’d love a stock ale clone!

Back