Moldy Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71satelite

Reaction score
Hey all just a quick one on the beginner side. I made a Blackberry Stout recently using real Blackberries in the secondary. After 2 weeks in the secondary I noticed a few spots that looked like floating mold patches. Is this normal? And the answer to your next question is yes, I bottled and drank it anyway! Tastes great! I saw this same thing with a wsikey wine I made with cherries, is it just the fruit? How can I prevent this?

If the berrys float up, will dry out and mold, no way around it other than to push them back down every few days.

That would make perfect sense, do you think a top half stir from time to time would help prevent this? We do this when we make wine from real fruit and it has never molded up. I think as long as you go with a third firm for the beer to clear it might work. Thoughts?

Be careful with stirring, least you introduce too much oxygen to the wort. But just gently tapping them down so they submerge breifly and rehydrate should do the trick, ive done that a few times making red currant wine.

The other solution is what cheezy suggests, RDWHAHB ;) if it aint broke.....

Latest posts

Back