Moldy mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newpaddy

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't made mead before, and I'd just like to confirm if this is indeed mold.

I know the containers I used is not ideal. I just wanted to experiment with the process and see what it was like before investing in anything.

I've got two jars, and a plastic container that had whey protein in it. I washed and scrubbed out the containers with dish washing liquid and hot water, then I used some sterilizer from a beer brewing kit my dad had.

They've been sitting around for roughly 3 months and I've checked them a few times. The white stuff has been there for a few weeks now, maybe even a little more. Thanks for any help.

Jar 1
12759077173_36ae6e8934_b.jpg

Jar 2
12758934765_a07a2c6ff6_b.jpg

Whey container
12759075973_067b8b32d0_b.jpg

12759076873_5e8e7cc426_b.jpg

They don't smell pungent or anything. Smells like honey and alcohol. If that counts for anything.

I don't see any mold. At first I thought you might be getting a pellicle from an infection, but after 3 months it should cover much more and look very different. I think it is just yeast and co2, but the bubble throws me off.

What were the OG/FG?

Drink some. It won't hurt you, but you'll know right away if its something to toss out.

It looks like an infection to me... what it probably is is dead yeast has accumulated on top (or other nutrient sources) and a bacteria is living there. The bulk volume is probably unaffected, though, so perhaps just scrapping of the top with a piece of paper will remove any worries.

Also - how did they ferment? Was the top open? When did you add the yeast / how?

OG and FG are unknown.

I tasted them. They taste like alcohol and very very mild aftertastes of honey without the sweetness. I haven't tried mead before, is that on par to what it should be?

When I touched it with a spoon the white stuff fell under the surface, looks and behaves like some form of sediment.

One jar and the whey container had lids that were not tightened completely, the other had cling film over the top and down the side with a hole running down to allow gasses to escape.

I combined honey (maybe some caster sugar too I think) in warm filtered water until dissolved and then waited for it to reach room temp, then added the yeast. It was just bread yeast, but I've used it in rice wine once before, and that was fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Well the taste is definitely going to depend on OG and FG values - you don't really know the alcohol or sugar content at this point. But yeah, alcohol and honey... sounds a bout right for mead :p especially since no other flavors were added.

The stuff is either whey protein which who knows how you missed, some stuff from the yeast or a mild infection. If its a mild infection, a mouth full will make an obvious taste.

But, it ain't gonna kill you, or even make you sick, so... if it tastes fine, bottoms up!

As far as Jars 2 and 3 are concerned;
Looks like brett / souring infection of some kind. As far as the other posts saying that the pellicle should be further along I think is wrong (definitely no mold though. I agree with that). I intentionally pitched souring bugs into meads and didn't have a real pellicle until 8 months. Even then a Pellicle is just an oxygen barrier, not a sign of bug activity. If it's solely brett it may not actually sour at all but taste more "farm housey"

Lambic Mead at 3 months with intentional pitch: http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/thel1st/IMG_1677_zps3efd48c0.jpg

Lambic mead at 5 months with intentional pitch http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/thel1st/IMG_1894_zps4d673db5.jpg

In 9 months the pellicles have dropped out 3 times and came back later. Don't toss it. Let it go for another 6 months or so.

As far as Jars 2 and 3 are concerned;
Looks like brett / souring infection of some kind. As far as the other posts saying that the pellicle should be further along I think is wrong (definitely no mold though. I agree with that). I intentionally pitched souring bugs into meads and didn't have a real pellicle until 8 months. Even then a Pellicle is just an oxygen barrier, not a sign of bug activity. If it's solely brett it may not actually sour at all but taste more "farm housey"

Lambic Mead at 3 months with intentional pitch: http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/thel1st/IMG_1677_zps3efd48c0.jpg

Lambic mead at 5 months with intentional pitch http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/thel1st/IMG_1894_zps4d673db5.jpg

In 9 months the pellicles have dropped out 3 times and came back later. Don't toss it. Let it go for another 6 months or so.

Why intentionally add it?

Some do enjoy sour beer and Mead. I'm no expert but have asked a good brewing friend who is a sour fermentation expert some sour infection questions and he told me that the pellicle over the top is a protection against oxygen exposure so you can actually have a sour with really minimal visual evidence. I would go by taste to determine if it's an infection. If it's a mild one then it may gee more pronounced as time passes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Hey guys,

Just a quick update.

After I had mixed it in, nothing has resulted over the past month, it looks clear.

So might have just been dead yeast or something.

I bottled one of the jars and it tastes fine, so all good I guess.

Thanks for the help.

Back