Moldy mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
I thought I cleaned my mash run last week but upon opening it today I learned my memory failed me. There was mold growing away. If I clean the mold out a hot water and soap will that be sufficient?

I used a toilet supply line so I'm no 100 percent sure the type of metal it is. Otherwise it's a cooler w the metal misc parts

I just found another thread where this happened. The poster claimed it smelled like a landfill and a couple others had to throw out their coolers bc they couldn't eradicate the smell. I just rinsed mine out w boiling water and now it smells fine.

for the plastic cooler I would try an overnight soak with cold water and bleach, for the metal I guess a good cleaning with hot water should be fine.

If it smells good only after rinsing with water then this is a good sign ! You saved it ! :)

Cheers !

When this happened to me, I let the cooled soak (with everything still installed) for about a week with PBW. Those toilet supply lines are almost always Stainless braids. After that week, I will admit that the smell was still there, but bearable. A few mashes later (successful mashes and brews) the smell was not even noticeable, if it was there at all. Until the next time I left the grain in it...

When this happened to me, I let the cooled soak (with everything still installed) for about a week with PBW. Those toilet supply lines are almost always Stainless braids. After that week, I will admit that the smell was still there, but bearable. A few mashes later (successful mashes and brews) the smell was not even noticeable, if it was there at all. Until the next time I left the grain in it...

Likewise. I've passed 3 mashes through the MT and nothing has become infected or off flavored.

I clean mine each time I brew but with our weather mold will grow in it if I forget to leave the lid off to let it air dry. I use an Alkaline brewers wash and then sanitize before I mash in. I've never had a problem.

Yes, you are right but this way I have double assurance that all spores and by products of the mold are gone and not in my wort. It is not that I fear infection, it is just that I want my beer to contain only what I put in it.

1st AG brew I did, I just rinsed the MLT, drained and put the lid on.
I got the mold issue. Caught it before next brew day. PBW did the trick.
Now I rinse after mashing is done and leave the lid off and valve open in between brews, and use PBW every 3rd brew.

So far so good.

pb --- 3rd brew is in the fermenter now so I'm not giving expert advice,... obviously! :)

Back