Moldy Fermenter Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
PXL_20210529_010420925.jpg

Any ideas on what caused the mold around the silicone gasket? I'm pretty sure my cleaning routine was thorough. I'm thinking this wee heavy isn't going turn out well.

We've had that happen with the Brew Buckets. Any longer than a 2 week primary in them and they allow O2 in because there's no more positive pressure coming out to insulate from it. If you've been running that fermenter as long as we've been running ours, then you've seen that the clamps seem to weaken over time, and I think that's the culprit, at least with ours. I've also seen some funk sneak in under that gasket and cause something similar. Hope that helps!

We've had that happen with the Brew Buckets. Any longer than a 2 week primary in them and they allow O2 in because there's no more positive pressure coming out to insulate from it. If you've been running that fermenter as long as we've been running ours, then you've seen that the clamps seem to weaken over time, and I think that's the culprit, at least with ours. I've also seen some funk sneak in under that gasket and cause something similar. Hope that helps!
Well that stinks. I did leave it in the bucket a long time so you're probably right. I guess I need to change my process.

Yeah, for what it's worth, we found out the hard way, too. Opened the fermenter to a blue shag carpet living on a pale ale, lol. Not ideal!

Yeah, for what it's worth, we found out the hard way, too. Opened the fermenter to a blue shag carpet living on a pale ale, lol. Not ideal!
I moved this to a keg with an airlock on it to let it ferment some more but I bet I'm going to have to throw the entire thing down the sink. Hurts when it's a big beer like a Wee Heavy. I'm going to email SS Brewtech to see what they say.

By the way, what solution did you come up with to prevent this? I assume you bought another fermenter for anything that might take a while? I hate the idea of having to buy MORE equipment just because the thing I bought can't be trusted.

Last edited:
I have two BBs, and have always been leery of those gaskets, and the channel they fit into. After use, I always remove them, soak in PBW, then in Starsan, wait until everything is completely dry before reinserting the gaskets. I've never had a problem with them yet, but I still might bump up the sanitizing to iodophor--at least for the gaskets.

Undersides of the rolled edges of those lids might be suspect, as well.

"mold" looks to be outside the seal. Not in the krausen on your lid. so what's the problem? seal kept the nasty stuff out.

wash the lid and make another batch.

Back